Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Raider Application - Paladin (Healer) - Elfrighteous

June 17, 2016, 07:41:30 pm
Read 3621 times

Applicant

Raider Application - Paladin (Healer) - Elfrighteous
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:41:30 pm »
Hello, Iron Edge!

I am applying for the main raid.

Character: Elfrighteous
Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/Kazzak/Elfrighteous/advanced
Class/Spec: Paladin (Healer)
Member Type: raider

Personal Info:

Rikus Marais, 24 years old. Spent some time this year working with a family member developing a property and am now looking into applying for masters level studies in molecular and cellular biology.

I'm a laid back guy who likes it when everything comes together. I'm keen on raiding with a bunch of like-minded, skilled people in a drama free and fun but effective raiding environment.

I'm an avid tabletop gamer and active member of several little groups that practice the hobby. I've spent a lot of time in WoW since WoD, which was my first expansion actively raiding and officer-ing. Our WoD guild did alright, and I had a lot of fun. I'm real keen for Legion and I'd like to get in there with a high-aiming guild and a running start :)

Class/Spec:

My favourite spec is Holy (ilvl 741), and my favourite role is that of Healer. I find the active and challenging aspects of raid healing very fulfilling and engaging. It also feels good to be part of the core that keeps the DPS and Tanking machine rolling.

As an alternate spec, I have played both Prot and Ret and have both at or around ilvl 733. However, because of our raid composition we did not lack for Tanks or DPS, and I was never called upon to fill that role during raids.

In terms of competence, I am most capable as a Healer, then as a DPS, then as a Tank.

Holy Paladin.

Healing mostly isn't like DPS where the idea is just to pump out numbers. The trick to playing a Holy Paladin well is not just rotation but to understand how your mastery shields and quick-cast spells can heal up targets before or right after they'll take damage, so that you maximise HP stability.

So, the most important thing as a Holy Pala and as a healer is awareness. For Holy Palas you maximise that by working on your UI and understanding the fights and more importantly your raid. For me it really helps having spells be cast on mouseover, mouse-bound, and to be tracking all buffs and debuffs along with HP on my raidbars. I can get that 1HP Lay on Hands off when I need to.

That being said, one of the primary rotations that I liked to use for single target spot healing is Judgment (1Charge Selfless Healer) > Holy Shock > Flash of Light > Flash of Light > Repeat
This maximises numbers but is not kind to your mana pool, and Holy Light+Holy Shock should be used when low on resources, stacking charges of Selfless Healer for free Flash of Lights when you are able.

We prioritize single target raid healing and let our beacons take care of the Tanks, unless things get dicey. You generally don't want more than one of us in a raid because of the way that beacons can overheal if you do that, but that may change in legion where the new max level talents will bring us a new dynamic and more options.

We prioritise Crit first and Mastery second for big single heals and protective absorb shields.

Alts:

Elflove and Elfcontrol, an Orc Warrior and a BE Priest, respectively. They're max level but not raid ready for HFC. If we need a Disc or a Fury/Arms I'd be happy to play them for Legion. I am also working on a MW monk, since I love their healing dynamics.

Professions:

I've got Alchemy and Enchanting. I have to admit that these two didn't get much use during WoD for money-making schemes. They did see plenty of use for keeping raiders well stocked with potions if they were running low mid raid (needing to go to the AH and summon is disruptive), and I always kept mats at hand for enchanting weapons if a raider got an upgrade during the raid.

I've also gone through the trial of leveling up my fishing (RIP me) in order to make better foods.

Raiding Experience:

Started raiding in WoD with a small group as a paladin healer and semi-officer. We set our sights on doing 10-man heroics, but in Highmaul we got an amazing opportunity to join forces with another small guild, where I then served as healer and officer along with some good friends new and old.

We got the curve achievement for both HM and BRF, and we were grinding mythic 13/13 HFC for a long time until it was time to break for Legion.  

Previous Guilds:

SPQR - We joined Failed-Experiment in HM.
Failed-Experiment - We went all the way from the first tier in WoD until 13/13 M HFC. We had a good run and met our goals for WoD. In the time between WoD and Legion some of us kept raiding and we decided we'd go our separate ways in terms of guilds. We still chat, they're cool dudes :P

Availability:

As a student my time will be flexible and I can work to my own schedule. This means I'll be able to make   weekday raid times easily. Saturdays and Sundays I try to reserve for other friends and family, but I can make events as long as I know about them beforehand.

I'm flexible in terms of raiding hours, and your current Monday+ Thursday schedule suits me well.

Communication:

English is my first language, and I am very comfortable with TS3 as a voip platform. I've got a working mic and headphones.

As a former officer I recognise the importance and positive effect of active communication.

Computer / Connection:

I run WoW well on ultra, but I prefer to set the quality lower for raids, just so there isn't quite as much going on on the screen. My internet connection is solid and stable, and I have never had any problems with consecutive disconnections.

Addons/UI:

UI Screenshot: http://puu.sh/pvlUc/25d44bc47d.jpg
Note: this one wasn't taken to specifically show off the UI but my subscription is up right now until closer to Legion.

I use:
Skada for tracking numbers
Bigwigs bossmods for tracking boss abilities
Exorsus raid tools for raid cooldown tracking
ElvUI forms the basis of my healer UI and raidframes
Clique for mouseover casts
A few other minor things like Angry Assignments
I had Omen threat meter enabled on the UI picture, but I don't usually have that enabled

Other Games:

Lots of tabletop gaming, but I suspect you're asking about video games :P

I enjoy top down hack and slashes, RPGs, FPS, survival games, visual novels and anime games, and challenging co-operative games. Recently I've played through Grim Dawn and had a few good cracks at Don't Starve Together with some friends. I'm an old hand at DotA but haven't played so much recently. I am very excited for No Man's Sky.

I had a lot of fun playing through Blade and Soul and in Phantasy Star Online 2 to scratch that MMO itch in the break before Legion.

Also: Dark Souls.

Why Iron Edge?

You have a strong history, a well maintained and attractive website, and a good reputation. Iron Edge seems like a nice community of quality raiders that I'd like to be a part of.

I'm not in a guild at the moment. We got together in WoD and we never really aimed further than it. We did what we set out to do, clearing it and clearing it well, with a full 13/13 M HFC. I had a lot of fun, made a lot of friends who I still have contact with, and learned a lot about the game. I want to do it all again.

You've your sights set on Legion, just like me.

What can I offer Iron Edge?

After looking around a little, the things I see in your 'What we seek' section meshes well with the sort of player I believe that I can be for your guild in Legion.

I'm reliable and aware, and actively research fights and mechanics from various sources. I come prepared, and I enjoy being helpful. I'm not the highest ranking healer out there, but I actively work towards being a better player, reviewing logs and adjusting my play-style as trends and opportunities develop.

As a former officer I was never AWOL, I contributed actively, keeping attendance records and managing raid cooldowns where appropriate, and put my efforts towards keeping the raid atmosphere light, fun and effective. I'm happy to be a backup if a raid is full, and happy to hand down gear to those who need it more, and to also follow the leaders' orders.

Where did I hear about Iron Edge?

I've heard about you from friends, seen your name come up in-game, and seen you on Wowprogress.

Last Words?

I am applying with my two close friends Pannion and Shear, who have been raiding longer than I have and who I believe are players that stand far above the norm because of their interest, boss-research, awareness, and raid-effectiveness, as well as their positive contribution to the guild social environment.

Should you decide that one or more of us, but not all, suit your guild for Legion, I would greatly appreciate it if those of us not chosen could be considered as a social, and allowed to act as a backup should you need a future trial recruit. We will actively be working towards increasing our capabilities as players.

I hope that you will consider my application favourably, and that you all enjoy the break until the coming expansion :-)

June 17, 2016, 08:23:53 pm
Reply #1

Offline Vejeta

• Guild Member

Re: Raider Application - Paladin (Healer) - Elfrighteous
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 08:23:53 pm »
Hi Elfrighteous,

OMG a holy paladin application!!! As you will be aware by now, we have finished our official raiding schedule for WoD and relaxing until Legion, if your successful in your application like has been said for your friends it'd be on social till Legion where you would than be put on official trial with the raid team.

One of the officers will get back to you guys in terms of the if not successful could they still join the guild as a social etc, i believe our weekend team that raid on a sunday will be relaunching as well, but ill let the officers discuss that possibility etc.

I like this application and wish you luck!

Regards

Vejeta
You may have invaded my mind and my body...but there's one thing a Saiyin always keeps...his PRIDE!!!

Former angriest bastard on the internet.

Professional baby seal clubber

June 17, 2016, 08:58:05 pm
Reply #2

Offline Elfrighteous

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:58:05 pm »
Hi Vejeta,

Thanks for the reply and for the good wishes!
Social for now is perfect, I'll wait for an officer to let us know.

Enjoy the rest of the break until Legion!  8)

Regards,
Elf

June 17, 2016, 09:13:30 pm
Reply #3

Offline Rash

• Imperator

• Main Raid Leader

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:13:30 pm »
Hi Elfrigheous,

As I've replied to Pannion here, we're going to have an internal discussion about you and your friends from South Africa about your average MS.

I'll let you know when we've come to a decision on the matter.
Rash - Holy Priest
Rashuwu - Mistweaver Monk
Porkkebab - Holy Paladin

June 17, 2016, 10:07:43 pm
Reply #4

Offline Elfrighteous

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:07:43 pm »
Hi Rashkebab,

Alright cool, thanks for letting me know.  8)

If it adds anything, I can vouch that the stable 180ms ping to Europe that we receive here is sufficient for thousands of players across South Africa to play other fast paced games like Dota2 and Overwatch competitively.

Regards,
Elf

June 17, 2016, 10:19:05 pm
Reply #5

Offline Rash

• Imperator

• Main Raid Leader

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 10:19:05 pm »
Alright, we'll definitely take that into consideration.
Rash - Holy Priest
Porkkebab - Holy Paladin

June 19, 2016, 02:49:21 pm
Reply #6

Offline Rash

• Imperator

• Main Raid Leader

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 02:49:21 pm »
Alright, we've decided!

Your raider trial will start when we start raiding in Legion.

You can poke an officer for an invite, welcome!
Rash - Holy Priest
Porkkebab - Holy Paladin

June 22, 2016, 10:18:27 pm
Reply #7

Offline Elfrighteous

• Guild Member

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 10:18:27 pm »
Hi Rashkebab,

Awesome! Thanks so much for the opportunity  8)

I'll poke an officer when I resub, soon.

Looking forwards to getting to know you all!

And @Shylar thanks for the shoutout if you see this, great to see your name again man, hope you're doing good.

Regards,
Elf

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:32:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

43 Guests, 0 Users