Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Films to see before you die.

June 17, 2009, 04:08:27 am
Reply #60

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

Re: Films to see before you die.
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2009, 04:08:27 am »
Planes, Trains and Automobiles... ah good memories. Such an enjoyable film :D

June 17, 2009, 12:39:04 pm
Reply #61

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2009, 12:39:04 pm »
Yeah Fitzcaralldo is great but I think Aguirre is a better film. The really cool thing about Fitzcaralldo is that the movie team ACTUALLY pulled that ship over a mountain. Herzog (director)is as crazy as his character Fitzcarraldo.

Never seen Intolerance, damn movie is almost three hours long I think? I need to check out some DW Griffith sometime though.

Körkarlen (swedish!) is definetely a great start if you want to check out silent films. It was my first and started a period of silent film watching a few years ago. I thought I would only find silent movies interesting because I'm interested in film history and our cultural heritage. But this one suprised me; silent films can be great movies! Another silent favourite is La passion de Jeanne d'Arc (1928).

June 18, 2009, 01:53:44 am
Reply #62

Offline Accunster

• Former Member

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2009, 01:53:44 am »
I think I saw Metropolis by Fritz Lang as my fist silent movie. It's got all the robotronic übermench to fuck you up for life, it did me. Fritz Lang "M" is the one, if you are only to watch one black and white movie your entire life. Male lead actor Peter Lorre was the ultimate bad guy, I guess he was the first to get typecast.

On a lighter note, pass a thought to late Rodney Dangerfield and Back to School. "We'll take in one pitcher [of beer] evey 20 minutes and when the first of us leaves bring in a pitcher every 15 minutes" Delling made a Vonnegut mention in guild chat but I was way out of context (I was dpsing some boss (just kidding Braid, I suck)). Vonnegut cameos in this movie - what is funny is I am 100% certain I've seen a clip with Gore Vidal diss Vonnegut, saying he was asked first to starr and Vonnegut got sloppy seconds so to say.

Rodneys last words when he was hauled in to an open heart surgury: "If everything goes as planned I'll be out in a week, if things go bad I'll be out this afternoon" Sadly he left that afternoon. Back to School and Caddyshack get's my approval.

Accunster\o/Jonas

PS Watch FREAKS - it's wierd, 80 years old and scary. Also it has dwarfs & midgets. Did I mention scary... DS
Huggy bears hugged and the world was a better place

June 18, 2009, 09:11:12 am
Reply #63

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2009, 09:11:12 am »
M and Metropolis is pretty good but I would only recommend them for someone interested in film history (or german expressionism). I think everyone, especially swedes, should see Körkarlen (eng title: the phantom carriage)

June 18, 2009, 10:52:51 pm
Reply #64

Offline El Wolf

• Vendor Trash

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2009, 10:52:51 pm »
Jamba has probably already mentioned it, but for old timers like me, ya can't beat 'Gran Torino' in many ways it's a very good film, critics have hit it hard but for me it reminds me alot of both my father and his father (both R.I.P.). As such its a very heart warming film with alot of funny parts (the barber scene still makes me chuckle) and a unusual twist at the end, especially if you've seen all of the Dirty Harry films.

I do have a rather large collection of films but thought I'd mention this one for the time being.

'GET THE FUCK OFF MY LAWN!'

December 08, 2009, 05:15:21 am
Reply #65

Offline Karga

• Guild Member

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2009, 05:15:21 am »
Prestige ! if u did not, you should watch it before you die. i don't think you'll get that change afterlife.
君に魔法をかけて蛙にしてやろう。 (i'll bewitch you into a frog!)

January 16, 2010, 01:49:10 pm
Reply #66

Offline Emptyy

• Forum Member

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2010, 01:49:10 pm »
Have no one mentioned Snatch (2000)? It's a funny action-comedy with some delightful English charm.

Or Freddy got fingered (2001)?
It's just really retarded, and have won Worst Director" "Worst Screenplay" "Worst Actor" "Worst film" and was nominated for "Worst 'Comedy' of Our First 25 Years". It's something I'd recommend to see.
"DADDY WOULD YOU LIKE SOME SAUSAGE?" - Tom Green

Waking life (2001) is a very philosofical film, which you really should see if you want a little brainshake.
(Pay more attention to what people say then what actually happens in the film)
Vanilla chars: Hunter, rogue, shaman

January 16, 2010, 02:26:56 pm
Reply #67

Offline Daekesh

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2010, 02:26:56 pm »
Freddy Got Fingered was awesome.
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

January 17, 2010, 04:15:03 am
Reply #68

Offline Sertth

• Former Member

• Sertth - Fury Warrior

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2010, 04:15:03 am »
Have no one mentioned Snatch (2000)? It's a funny action-comedy with some delightful English charm.

Waking life (2001) is a very philosofical film, which you really should see if you want a little brainshake.
(Pay more attention to what people say then what actually happens in the film)

Both great movies idd.
Sertth - B Raid Fury Warrior

January 28, 2010, 01:36:32 am
Reply #69

Offline Emptyy

• Forum Member

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2010, 01:36:32 am »
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny and Nacho Libre (2006). Main Character is Jack Black in both films. Watch'em cause he's funny, not because the movies are too great themselves.

For action, I'm fond of The Matrix (1999). The first movie actually have some sort of storyline, unlike 2 and 3.
Most Quentin Tarantino films are a must. I liked Wanted (2008) aswell. Wanted is a unrealistic action movie indeed, but I like the way they only use guns/knives and no out-of-proportions weaponary or technology or fancy cars.

*bored IE-member going to bed*

January 28, 2010, 02:15:23 am
Reply #70

Offline Karga

• Guild Member

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010, 02:15:23 am »
Emptyy, did you watched SChool of Rock. it's one of my favourites. And in my opinion, it's the best performance of "J.B."  Nacho Libre had a good concept but in my opinion, it was just %10 of what it could really be. 
Pick of Destiny is epic. Especially if you used to be into Rock.
君に魔法をかけて蛙にしてやろう。 (i'll bewitch you into a frog!)

January 28, 2010, 02:20:04 am
Reply #71

Offline Emptyy

• Forum Member

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2010, 02:20:04 am »
nope, haven't seen that one yet. *putting on download*

Edit: Yes, have seen that, just couldn't remember.
I don't like children, they're awful actors.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:39:22 pm by Emptyy »

February 03, 2010, 02:09:28 am
Reply #72

Offline Devlin

• Guild Member

• Not a hobo

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2010, 02:09:28 am »
Not a movie*, but

Arrested Development
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367279/

Should be a mandatory watch for everyone looking for humor! :D Never laughed so hard - or frequently - before in my life as I do when watching this show. I'm on the 3rd look-through now, but I keep the sessions juuust out of memory-reach so I don't remember all those small genious details :) Some faces/scenes I just never forget though.

I'm completely dumbfounded how it got cancelled. This should've been a 10+ seasons show imo.

My favourite character - if I can only pick one - must be Tobias Fünke. The world's first Analrapist!

The TV-show is a 10/10. No doubt.

* There is an Arrested Development movie coming up in 2011 though! It will surely be a must-see. Read more here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901469/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:22:01 am by Devlin »

February 03, 2010, 05:08:38 am
Reply #73

Offline delling

• Homepage
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2010, 05:08:38 am »
Didn't we have a 'best TV shows' thread?

I thought Arrested Development was good in the first season, but was a bit weak/repetitive after that.

(And if some moderator can find the TV thread, feel free to split this conversation...)
Now I run a tech website.

March 04, 2010, 07:15:06 am
Reply #74

Offline Thecurse

• Guild Member

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2010, 07:15:06 am »
Mr and Mrs Smith.

cant come up with any reason except I loved the movie.

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:24:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

131 Guests, 0 Users