Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 International Studies

November 06, 2010, 01:44:03 am
Read 4363 times

Inphy

International Studies
« on: November 06, 2010, 01:44:03 am »
Here I am again. I don't know if I posted something like this before, but what the heck.

I'm currently doing an HBO study (bachelor), to get through my first year. After I've done my first year, I'm acknowledged to go to a university.

So, most of you don't know what the hell I'm talking about. That's the whole thing, neither do I. Because the thing is, with all the language differences and different school systems, I don't even know what I'm doing any more.

Here's my wish/plan: Next year, after I successfully finished my first year of College (as that would be the equivalent of HBO in The Netherlands I assume) with all of my credits. I wish to study in Canada. At a University.

I want to study Archaeology.

So my question is. After I'm done with my first year, do I follow an Undergraduate, or a graduate program? And If I can only do an Undergraduate program, how long does that take? And what is its equivalent in Europe?

I hope I'm clear on all things, if not, Do ask. I'm kind of corked right now, none can give me a normal answer. Not Google, not the government agencies here in The Netherlands. Do help!

November 06, 2010, 03:35:04 am
Reply #1

Offline Daekesh

• Guild Member

Re: International Studies
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 03:35:04 am »
I'm currently doing an HBO study (bachelor)

You can get degrees in The Wire?!
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

November 06, 2010, 04:12:09 am
Reply #2

Offline Narco

• Officer

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 04:12:09 am »
I have no idea what a HBO is, but you'll be doing a undergraduate degree at uni, assuming you have no other equivalent qualification, which usually take 3 years to complete (though some degrees may take up to 7, such as Architecture).

I don't know how reliable this is, but I literally typed in "Bachelor degree" into Google and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_degree

It might answer some of your questions, and also the group of the top universities in Canada is called G13: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_Thirteen_(Canadian_universities)

Assuming you're aiming high as you're planning on leaving your home country,
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:26:08 am by Malik »

November 06, 2010, 08:22:26 am
Reply #3

Offline Yoica

• Officer

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:22:26 am »
Inphy, I'm assuming the rules will be the same as if you had completed your 1st year of HBO and wanted to go to uni in holland. That would mean that once you get your 'Propedeuse' you can got to uni as if you had done VWO in high school. So you just start from scratch at uni. At least that is how it worked for my brother-in-law and a couple of mates from uni.

November 06, 2010, 11:18:51 am
Reply #4

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 11:18:51 am »
I know that if you want to do curating at museums, you will need a masters in Archeology -- if only for the contacts... the apprenticeship... and so on.

Degrees (both bachelor and master) are devalued today. Unless you want a job that _specifically_ requires a certain degree, I would avoid most academic education.

Getting into your industry/workplace of choice sooner = win
Now I run a tech website.

November 06, 2010, 01:02:34 pm
Reply #5

Offline Gaeios(Graxlos)

• Imperator

• Forum Admin and Guild Master

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:02:34 pm »
ask wicca isnt she from canada?

Bears like alts!

November 06, 2010, 01:27:22 pm
Reply #6

Inphy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 01:27:22 pm »
Well so far so good! Thanks, I know I need an undergraduate study now. That's like the equivalent of a university bachelor here in Holland.

Time to pick out a school I guess.

But feel free to add things if you want!

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:46:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

258 Guests, 2 Users
DNZ93, kodin