Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Dragon Age 2

March 18, 2011, 01:49:38 pm
Read 5968 times

Offline Hugman

• Officer

Dragon Age 2
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:49:38 pm »
So err, how come no one has posted a review of this game yet? I see many of you playing it on steam.

Come on people! enquiring minds want to know! Is it as awesome as the first one? Worth getting?

March 18, 2011, 02:01:08 pm
Reply #1

Offline Sparrowhawk

• Guild Member

Re: Dragon Age 2
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 02:01:08 pm »
Said short: It is overall as good as the first one, however it has some quite disappointing aspects to it.

I love kirkwall, but I would like that it changed more over the years..

Characters are interresting and different, but there should be more quest/roleplay involving them.

Importing DAO save apparently doesnt do much to the storyline and DA2 ignores it mostly, which sucks alot.

I dont like how they simplified the combat system from the good ol' neverwinter nights/dao style of combat. Its still fun and entertaining tho. Fkkn babby-mode game isnt even challenging!

Fights should be more varying. Every fight is wave of mobs and corner pulling action...

I would love more roleplaying in the game. I would like if what you choose affected the game more. Like you spec blood mage it would actually bring options up to the conversation, LIKE IT USED TO DO!

WTF IS UP WITH EVERY CHARACTER BEING BISEXUAL, HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I play with male hawke, and I get flirt options with my male mejts all the time, disturbing.

Overall its a great game, definetely worth it if you liked previous bioware games... I dont understand what the hate is about.

March 18, 2011, 02:20:49 pm
Reply #2

Offline Mouseh

• Guild Member

• srs mouse is srs

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:20:49 pm »
After I saw reviews I decided not even try it. I loved DA1 but 2nd part seems to be much more console-oriented :/

They've taken out the origin stories which were really quite delightful.
They've taken out your ability to chose races
They've taken out the reward system for good/evil interactions which were a motivating factor for many people to play a role with their characters.
They've managed to create characters that I have absolutely no connection to. I don't care about anyone in the party at all. They're all utility and no character.
They have somehow managed to make the item system worse.
I cannot buy individual armor for the people in my team beyond a small set of armors I must find.
I have no motivation to care about the main character.
There is no plot drive for the game, no hook.
Monsters appear out of nowhere. And they drop in doubling the actual number of enemies you need to kill. This destroys any suspension of disbelief and makes every combat a grind.
Why are there so many humans interested in being killed in this game fighting you for no particular reason? In the last game all encounters had motivational combat.
They have worsened the skill/ability tree and most of it is recycled.
At a time where technology is robust for such a game you could have open exploration, but this game is very, very linear.
Making decisions in the game does not change the dialogue much or the outcomes. You cannot negotiate a hostage release or convince someone to do anything social based on skills or stats.
There is no reason to have a rogue in your party in place of another fighter.
Templar, who are supposed to want to bind mages or kill them, seem to do a whole lot of not caring that you're a mage (and two other of my party are too).
You CANNOT TALK TO PEOPLE IN YOUR PARTY AND GET TO KNOW THEM which eliminates one of the single best parts of new roleplaying games.
The game has somehow managed to suddenly remove quest markers so I have no idea where quests are supposed to happen.
You are nothing more than a simple errand boy in this game. All the time.
You do not get to visit interesting places like in the last game. Most everything happens in one place.

Gonna hide this with spoiler tag cuz of picture's size.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Basicly if you are fan of computer RPGs and the DA1 its gonna be a let down.
If you wanna play just another console hack/slash action game with rpg elements you gonna have a blast.

"Leela's experiencing the greatest joy a woman can feel: worshiping some low-life jerk."

Bender, Futurama

March 18, 2011, 02:23:04 pm
Reply #3

Offline Daekesh

• Guild Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:23:04 pm »
He was bisexual in the first game, too.  This is why you play female characters!

As Sparrow said, I think it's a good game, but it's definitely missing something from the first game.  Probably the storyline as a whole.  It's gone from "save the world by killing the darkspawn" to "omg my family is in trouble".  Call the care police, really.
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

March 18, 2011, 02:27:22 pm
Reply #4

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:27:22 pm »
I don't like that it's limited in area to such a tiny little zone... can't really get into it hard enough when it feels so rinse and repeat. At least some of the incidental dialogue between characters is still good.

Edge gave it a real bashing, seems pretty fair. Alongside the questionable choices in design and so on, the technical problems on PC at high settings are pretty unforgivable after the dragon age game franchise was launched and marketed as a love letter to old bioware PC rpgs.

Here's the Edge review; they gave it a 6
http://www.next-gen.biz/features/dragon-age-ii-review

March 18, 2011, 02:29:11 pm
Reply #5

Offline Daekesh

• Guild Member

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:29:11 pm »
the technical problems on PC at high settings are pretty unforgivable after the dragon age game franchise was launched and marketed as a love letter to old bioware PC rpgs.

What technical problems?  I run it on full everything and it's running pretty well...
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

March 18, 2011, 02:30:39 pm
Reply #6

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

March 18, 2011, 02:33:36 pm
Reply #7

Offline Daekesh

• Guild Member

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:33:36 pm »
Damn.  U'd think Bioware would know how to make it work properly...
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

March 18, 2011, 02:43:40 pm
Reply #8

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 02:43:40 pm »
I don't think it's that they don't know... ;)

Though as stated in the review, given how short they've had to make the game in comparison to the first, it's not surprising so many corners were cut.

March 18, 2011, 02:57:54 pm
Reply #9

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 02:57:54 pm »
Urgh, if you folks say the story is shit, too...

I've only played 3h so far, and now my computer broke, but with

- quest-gameplay = run to the next '!' on the map
- combat-gameplay = same massAOEing everything all the time
- recycling areas/dungeons == the horror

I counted on the story so save the game. If that's shit, too -> /meh

Problem is, there's just too much competition by other (console) games, that I doubt I'll be spending ~40h with this uninspired sequel.

March 18, 2011, 03:32:42 pm
Reply #10

Offline Rucious

• Former Member

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 03:32:42 pm »
It good game, story line is kinda shit but still not that shit. There are many bugs also, during the High Dragon Boss when you move your party members they won't move and some other Passive Friendship buffs.. I've finished but hope they'll fix those so that I can play again in Nightmare more! Oh btw, there is a ring that have immunity to Stun and something else couldn't remember, don't forget to buy!
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:14:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

271 Guests, 0 Users