Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Your imba starcraft 2 replays here!

September 05, 2010, 11:24:53 am
Reply #90

Offline Illusion

• Community Member

• It's all in your mind...

Re: Your imba starcraft 2 replays here!
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2010, 11:24:53 am »
.... queen/hatchery hotkey bit ....

I actually do the exact opposite. I bind each hatchery (5-0) separately and put all my queen on 1 bind (4). When I need to inject larvae I hit 4 -> V and just click a hatchery on the minimap -> V, click another hatchery on the minimap -> V, etc till done. The queen closest to that hatchery will inject it and the rest won't move.

The reason why I put all hatcheries on separate binds is so that I can decided where to spawn drones or attacking units.

Yeah I know a few people who do it that method, I just prefer actually going to the hatchery physically, I don't have the time to pinpoint the hatcheries on the minimap while in the chaos of fighting a battle, I know SC2's minimap is rather large but still...

I like the 5 or so seconds I dedicate to doing my Queen rotation, it gives me a breather period (I think if I was doing the minimap version I'd be in a panic due to seeing the battle on my screen.

September 05, 2010, 11:37:00 am
Reply #91

Offline Vorte

• Ffffffffffff

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2010, 11:37:00 am »
That makes no sense :P If you do you just ignore the battle, don't see how that's any better :P
[22:27] <Globox> I cry when I clean my left ear with a q-tip

September 05, 2010, 11:42:21 am
Reply #92

Offline Hugman

• Officer

« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2010, 11:42:21 am »
Epic ZvT - first game of the night so I was a little slow to begin with, but it ended up being one of the more intense and satisfying ZvT wins I've had.

This is a really good macro game, I'm sure the newbies can pick up a few things, and I'd sure like to hear if I'm making many obvious mistakes (I know about the chilling drones and the messed up rally point).

Why did you go early double gas-roaches vs terran? There didn't seem to be anything you could see that would indicate you should. Also you popped an early overseer?

This game seems unusual to me, as it kinda seems the opposite of what you specifically normally do,I.E. which is good early economy, early expansion and lots of zerglings. Iroinically enough, if you had done that, you could have baneling busted the entrance pretty early, and walked all over his base, as his early force was rather small compared to most terran, and he seemed to have a massive focus on Marauders. You definitely should have switched to zergling/banelings or lessened the amount of roaches you built, once you had done a few small skirmishes with him, as his massed Marauders generally just owned your grouped roaches.

Also,once you saw the early raiders, you should have got a few spines in the mineral line + secound hatchery in base, is vital if you haven't been harrassing him early.

September 05, 2010, 12:08:44 pm
Reply #93

Offline Illusion

• Community Member

« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2010, 12:08:44 pm »
That makes no sense :P If you do you just ignore the battle, don't see how that's any better :P

I've done it so many times I've got the hang of doing it in only a few seconds(I can do 3 queens in about 4-5 seconds) and then I double tap 1 to go right back into the fight.

Though this is one of the reasons I've switched back to Protoss.
With Zerg you have to worry about: Spawning Larva, Spreading Creep, Choosing between Drones / Army in addition to the normal minerals, gas, supply.

If you forget a Larva Spawn that's Larva you will never get back, if you forget a chronoboost you can just use the saved up energy for multiple chronoboosts, if you forget a MULE drop or scan, you can just drop multiple MULEs or scan multiple times. That's one thing that really upset me when I played Zerg, I'd view my replays and go "nooo I'm not injecting larva" knowing that that I'd be effectively larva short.

September 05, 2010, 12:29:28 pm
Reply #94

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2010, 12:29:28 pm »
welp

The way I see it is as zerg, effectively the whole game from start to finish is one long moment-of-truth. If you miss one thing, it can really hurt you and there's nothing you can do to recover lost/late actions.

September 05, 2010, 12:36:10 pm
Reply #95

Offline Vorte

• Ffffffffffff

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2010, 12:36:10 pm »
We need Banelords in tier 1.
[22:27] <Globox> I cry when I clean my left ear with a q-tip

September 05, 2010, 12:48:11 pm
Reply #96

Offline Palmar

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2010, 12:48:11 pm »
thanks for the pointers guys.

Illusion, very throughout analysis, I liked it.

Hugman, you're wrong on so many levels, you need to completely re-think how you understand the game.

About the upgrades, the build I'm using simply doesn't allow for early upgrades, ling speed I didn't get till I actually built some lings. But you really need all the resources you can get to execute the roach/hydra/overseer push.
Trolls are awesome!

September 05, 2010, 03:01:00 pm
Reply #97

Offline Illusion

• Community Member

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2010, 03:01:00 pm »
Glad I could be of any assistance  8)

I want my Lurkers back, if Zerg get Lurkers back I'll play them even if Terran could launch a super nuke that instantly kills all Zerg on the map and Protoss gets a giant orbital laser cannon that also instantly kills all Zerg on the map :P

But I agree fully with Kawe, Zerg is at the moment the most unforgiving race. I hope Blizzard fix/balance this difference.

Also you popped an early overseer?
Actually I found that a brilliant play, it's always good to get a detector as a precaution, especially with how most terran players LOVE their cloaked banshee harass. Better to be safe than sorry right?  8)

September 05, 2010, 03:26:00 pm
Reply #98

Offline Devlin

• Guild Member

• Not a hobo

« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2010, 03:26:00 pm »
Actually I found that a brilliant play, it's always good to get a detector as a precaution, especially with how most terran players LOVE their cloaked banshee harass. Better to be safe than sorry right?  8)

I guess there's a bit of preference at play here, but I would personally sacrifice an overlord before getting a detector, especially that early, and when you're going kind of gas heavy units like hydras, that overseer is 100 gas that could potentially be wasted.

September 05, 2010, 03:39:16 pm
Reply #99

Offline Palmar

« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2010, 03:39:16 pm »
I like the theorycraft about my overseer!

if you didn't notice I went for a 1-base hydra/roach push into expansion. I knew I didn't execute it properly, but he push actually consists of a few roaches, few hydras and an overseer, because you want to remove their high ground advantage. And even if the push fails the theory is that you should drop a changeling in the confusion, for more scouting.

I didn't drop the changeling, but that's the specific reason for that overseer. Overlords are too slow to follow my army, and I need sight on the high ground, either I upgrade the overlords for 100/100 or grab an overseer for 50/100. I prefer the overseer for the mid-battle changeling, and later it also serves as a detector (and contaminate is useful when I get it into my cycle).

I'm still trying to get this build straight, but this is what I have so far....

- 9 Overlord
- 14 pool
- when pool is 2/3 done, gas
- 15 overlord
- when pool pops, 2nd gas, roach warren and queen
- when queen pops, lair (if timed right you should have _exactly_ 100 gas when i pops)
- when roach warren finishes, get 2-3 roaches out (don't supply block yourself)
- when lair pops, overseer and hydra den
- Here's where I tend to have too much gas and too little minerals, so i often end up pulling drones off gas to set myself up for an expansion.
- reduce drone spamming and get like 5-8 roaches and 3-6 hydras
- push with roaches/hydras and the overseer
- Expand while you push
- drones back on gas

I'd like to manage hydra range somewhere in there, but haven't found a way to afford it yet (I don't want it with any less than 4-5 hydras). I'm not sure if it's good though, basically it's hydra range, vs 2 extra hydralisks...

If anyone feels like working on this build... feel free.
Trolls are awesome!

September 05, 2010, 03:43:17 pm
Reply #100

Offline Illusion

• Community Member

« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2010, 03:43:17 pm »

I guess there's a bit of preference at play here, but I would personally sacrifice an overlord before getting a detector, especially that early, and when you're going kind of gas heavy units like hydras, that overseer is 100 gas that could potentially be wasted.

I don't think Palmer got the Overseer for detection though, I think it was for the increased speed and defense. He needed a flying unit for his Hydras to attack into the base from the ground and waiting for an Overlord (or waiting for the speed upgrade to complete) wasn't an option.

I'm just ading that having an early detector isn't a bad thing :D

September 05, 2010, 03:43:39 pm
Reply #101

Offline kagemoth

• Former Member

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2010, 03:43:39 pm »
I think its gonna end up with how many units your opponent has or how much your opponent is harrasing you. I would get the range upgrade as soon as possible but
only if i wasnt under heavy siege of if I was doing the harassing.
Insanity doesn't run in my family. Rather, it strolls through, taking its time, getting to know everyone personally.

September 05, 2010, 03:49:02 pm
Reply #102

Offline Illusion

• Community Member

« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2010, 03:49:02 pm »
I like the theorycraft about my overseer!

if you didn't notice I went for a 1-base hydra/roach push into expansion. I knew I didn't execute it properly, but he push actually consists of a few roaches, few hydras and an overseer, because you want to remove their high ground advantage. And even if the push fails the theory is that you should drop a changeling in the confusion, for more scouting.

I didn't drop the changeling, but that's the specific reason for that overseer. Overlords are too slow to follow my army, and I need sight on the high ground, either I upgrade the overlords for 100/100 or grab an overseer for 50/100. I prefer the overseer for the mid-battle changeling, and later it also serves as a detector (and contaminate is useful when I get it into my cycle).

I'm still trying to get this build straight, but this is what I have so far....

- 9 Overlord
- 14 pool
- when pool is 2/3 done, gas
- 15 overlord
- when pool pops, 2nd gas, roach warren and queen
- when queen pops, lair (if timed right you should have _exactly_ 100 gas when i pops)
- when roach warren finishes, get 2-3 roaches out (don't supply block yourself)
- when lair pops, overseer and hydra den
- Here's where I tend to have too much gas and too little minerals, so i often end up pulling drones off gas to set myself up for an expansion.
- reduce drone spamming and get like 5-8 roaches and 3-6 hydras
- push with roaches/hydras and the overseer
- Expand while you push
- drones back on gas

I'd like to manage hydra range somewhere in there, but haven't found a way to afford it yet (I don't want it with any less than 4-5 hydras). I'm not sure if it's good though, basically it's hydra range, vs 2 extra hydralisks...

If anyone feels like working on this build... feel free.

Ah so I was right about the reason for the overseer :D

You're build reminds me a lot of the 5RR build on TeamLiquid, I was using it almost excusively when I played Zerg as I think Roaches are awesome and it lets you expand to Hydras.

9 Overlord
13 Spawning Pool
13 Extractor
15 Overlord
Zergling
Queen
Drone
Drone
Roach Warren (latest you should start is when queen is 70% done)
Zergling speed when you have 100 gas
Drone
Overlord when queen pops, inject larvae
Drone
Take drones off gas once you have 125
Re-inject
5 Roaches (Warren, OL, and injection should all pop very close to each other)
Overlord (31/34 food)
Drone
Expansion when your roaches are walking to the enemy
Re-inject
Zerglings as you get the minerals, rallied to your opponent's base
Queen

What I liked about the build is it would sometimes win outright, and if it didn't you can easily transition into the mid game

September 05, 2010, 03:59:43 pm
Reply #103

Offline kagemoth

• Former Member

« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2010, 03:59:43 pm »
UNTILL YOU FOUGHT ME AND FACED WRATH OF ZERGLING
Insanity doesn't run in my family. Rather, it strolls through, taking its time, getting to know everyone personally.

September 05, 2010, 04:13:51 pm
Reply #104

Offline Illusion

• Community Member

« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »
UNTILL YOU FOUGHT ME AND FACED WRATH OF ZERGLING

I did beat you with this build however :P
I was still getting used to the build (being able to follow it without having to resort to checking the list). Also getting the timings right and not forgetting a step 8) ( I don't know how many times I messed up the gas timings).

Anyway I still want to see how you'd do against my Protoss 4-Gate  8)

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:05:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

263 Guests, 3 Users
Shimmar, Mooneclipse, Steesh