Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Raider Application - Warlock (DPS) - Pannion

June 17, 2016, 12:44:23 am
Read 5626 times

Applicant

Raider Application - Warlock (DPS) - Pannion
« on: June 17, 2016, 12:44:23 am »
Hello, Iron Edge!

I am applying for the main raid.

Character: Pannion
Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/Kazzak/Pannion/advanced
Class/Spec: Warlock (DPS)
Member Type: raider

Personal Info:

Name: Breff Whitehead. Age: 23, Occupation: Student (M.Sc), Location: Cape Town South Africa.

Other  info:

I'm a male Science student from Cape Town South Africa. I've played WoW since it released but only raided a lot during Wotlk and WoD. I enjoy the game and have had a lot of fun progressing through Mythic HFC. Otherwise I'm a pretty relaxed if competitive person.

Class/Spec:

I can play all three warlock spec proficiently. I switched between specs extensively during progress and raiding as appropriate for the requirements of each fight and specific needs within our guild. If I had to select a preferred spec it would be demonology, but as its largely unuseful in HFC I have played more of the other two specs with a preference for affliction.

As mentioned above I played all the specs fairly interchangeable and thus have largely prioritized mastery on all my gear. This is simply because it is the best stat for Demonology and Destruction DPS, and is very good for affliction, even if a little worse than pure haste.

I don't want to go too far into detail about rotation and the like for each of my specs as such information can easily be found on a sight such as Icy Veins and don't do anything crazily different. To show understanding of my class I will talk briefly about the big DPS swings for each spec and their strengths and weaknesses.

Destruction: Strong for sustained multi target damage (4+ targets), also good for rapid single target burst (low hp targets). The biggest dps swing here (besides the obvious cleaving) is chaining shadowburn executes with havoc up.

Affliction: Strongest single target spec and good on sustained dps on up to 3 targets. Not very good for switching to priority adds and the like as it does not do rapid burst. More about maintaining dots and managing soul shards than a particular DPS swing, but obviously using dark soul + drain soul to maintain haunt on multiple targets is important.

Demonology: Good for bursting down big packs of adds but infrequently. Since being gutted a bit for HFC this spec relies heavily on landing a big catacylsm + Chaos wave cleave during dark soul/ ring/ procs. I only really think the spec if worth using on Manno to deal with the imp waves. Demo is also the most movement friendly warlock spec but as much is not too relevant in HFC.

Alts:

I have several characters at 100 beside my warlock: Hunter, Monk, Rogue, Warrior. However only my warlock is sufficiently geared for raiding.

Professions:

I have both Alchemy and Tailoring. Alchemy for the creation of raid consumables and for the extended duration on flasks, tailoring was simply a personal choice I picked up to help gear myself more quickly at the launch of the expansion.

Raiding Experience:

I have only raided competitively in WoD. I have cleared (At the time of relevance - before new content):
7/7 Hc Highmaul, 1/7 Mythic.

10/10 Hc BRF, 5/10 Mythic.

13/13 Hc HFC, 13/13 Mythic.

Rank 32 realm for our HFC mythic Clear.

Previous Guilds:

Failed experiment has been the my guild since the start of WoD when a smaller guild I co-gmed (SPQR) merged with them prior to the release of BRF. I am leaving with my fellow officers because our GM has decided he wanted to step down. With this and so many players having left during the long gap before legion we decided to disband.

Availability:

I am available all week nights from 4pm GMT to 11pm GMT. I am willing to stay up late if required. I am available during the day on most weekends but not in the evenings bar unusual circumstance.

Communication:

English is my first language and I believe I can speak it well. I have a microphone and tend to communicate a lot during raids.

Computer / Connection:

I have a good desktop PC, with no FPS issues on high during raids (Usually 50-80 FPS). I also intend to upgrade before legion if possible.

I have a decent, stable connection and very seldom have issues with disconnections and the like.

Addons/UI:

DBM/ Big wigs - For boss alerts, ability timers ect.

Weak Auras - mostly to alert me to specific things in fights, such as being targeted by a debuff.

Bar Tender - for key bindings and action bar layout.

Tell me When - For ability cool downs, buff/debuff durations, procs, ect.

Threat plates (tidy plates) - name plates allowing me to quickly identify and target specific mobs/ track HP for executes.

Recount - DPS meter for DPS but I tend to play with it closed. I find it useful to monitor damage done to specific targets and the like.

Grid 2 - Raidframes to monitor raid HP and status.

Exorus Raid Tools - this addon provides a lot of different functions, such as advanced positioning tools, or digest timers on Gorefiend.

Angry Assignments - to track specific tasks/ positioning assignments.

xTC - to customize floating combat text. I largely use this to keep my Ui clean of too many floating numbers.

Miscellaneous addons - a catch all for things like Iskar assist, or when it was relevant Throgar assist. Small fight specific addons for handling particular mechanics.

Screen shot: http://imgur.com/kd7Cj7y

I must apologize as this screenshot is a bit old, but my set up is mostly the same. Raid frames are displayed below by TMW icons in the center of the screen. Boss timers and such are displayed to the right of my character. Extra addons such as AA or exorus are displayed to the left. If I use recount it opens in the bottom right of the screen. I would take a better image but I don't currently have an active subscription. If its an issue please just let me know. Thanks for your understanding.

As for keybindings: Every spell, item and ability I use is keybound. For this reason none are visible as I do not need to have action bars cluttering my screen. They are hidden using bartender but still active. For by bags and that kind of thing I can mouse over the bottom of the screen to show them if required.

I use a few macros, mostly mouse over macros for havoc and soul swap, as well as a target focus macro, and a set focus macro. I also use one to cycle between targets for affliction play.

Other Games:

At the moment not too much. I play some Dota 2 and usually play big titles when they come out, such as DOOM but the last game I played a lot of was Dark Souls III. I don't really have any persistent gaming habits other than WoW and Dota.

Why Iron Edge?

I'm looking for a good, able guild to raid with in Legion and I think you guys might be that. I'm pretty keen on having a pleasant community and think I see that here.

What can I offer Iron Edge?

I can offer myself as a good, flexible and reliable player. I was an officer in my previous guild and would be happy to take on responsibilities and the like if desired. I can communicate well, and think I get along pretty well with most people and don't get upset about criticism and the like. I am happy to handle specific tasks in an encounter and always try and improve my performance.

Where did I hear about Iron Edge?

Wowprogress and in game friends.

Last Words?

I'm applying to you guys with my fellow officers from Failed experiment and I'd really like to play with them again if possible, but its not a deal breaker.

I'm fine with being subbed out and so on during mythic progression and the like if its necessary.

As a final note I want to add that I ideally would like to play Demon Hunter/ Hunter in legion but I'm pretty okay with playing what the guild needs. (Please don't make me heal)

June 17, 2016, 12:32:06 pm
Reply #1

Offline Shimmar

• Officer

• Creepy Sam

Re: Raider Application - Warlock (DPS) - Pannion
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 12:32:06 pm »
Hey Pannion, thanks for applying
Basically the same as what i've said to Moghoulkhan; I'm not in the area of recruitment but I like you so far and that's gotta mean something to these comrades of mine. Just don't want you to think your applications have gone un-noticed.

Contact will be made shortly, I've no doubt so keep an eye out.

Good luck!

June 17, 2016, 03:18:39 pm
Reply #2

Offline Vejeta

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 03:18:39 pm »
Hey Pannion

Decent apply, as mentioned by Creepy Sam... we have stopped raiding for legion you would be brought in as a social until legion and than trialled. Depending on who wants to play what in legion which hasnt been discussed will depend on what the guild needs but most of have expressed will be raiding in legion. I will leave it to the officers to decide.

But my other concern is if you are all applying as a group what happens if one is declined will the others look elsewhere too?

Also whats your ms and connection like considering from South africa?

Regards

Vejeta
You may have invaded my mind and my body...but there's one thing a Saiyin always keeps...his PRIDE!!!

Former angriest bastard on the internet.

Professional baby seal clubber

June 17, 2016, 08:16:18 pm
Reply #3

Offline Pannion

• Guild Member

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:16:18 pm »
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies.

No problem on the class choice deal, I get that.

There are only three of us applying, me, Elfrighteous and Moghoulkhan. As I said its not a deal breaker if we all don't raid, but if possible i'd ask you to consider taking those you don't include immediately as socials/ backups with a chance to trial later.

In terms of connection its okay, we get around 200ms to kazzak usually, which while a bit annoying has not hampered us much in the past.

I did not mention it before but I do have pretty extensive logs on Warcraft logs for our mythic clear of HFC if you're interested. Not the best logs in some cases as I handled a lot of mechanics and duties but yeah, if you're into sifting through it I think it gives a pretty good indication of ability.

June 17, 2016, 08:29:31 pm
Reply #4

Offline Vejeta

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 08:29:31 pm »
It'd be nice if we had the logs to look over,  even if output isn't amazing if your staying alive and taking minimal damage that's still a plus.

As long as you don't lag / disconnect very often thats fine i believe it still falls in the green bracket for stability. Hopefully one of these officers will awake from there slumber to cast an eye over your applications so please hold fire :)

Regards

Vejeta
You may have invaded my mind and my body...but there's one thing a Saiyin always keeps...his PRIDE!!!

June 17, 2016, 08:55:31 pm
Reply #5

Offline Pannion

• Guild Member

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 08:55:31 pm »
Log link:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/5226938/latest

I'm not in a rush, as I mentioned I don't currently have an active sub, so I'd appreciate just being contacted here. I will of course sub to be invited/ when necessary. I'm pretty keen to play during the prepatch.

Hope to see you in game.

June 17, 2016, 09:01:46 pm
Reply #6

Offline Rash

• Imperator

• Main Raid Leader

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 09:01:46 pm »
Hey Pannion!

Pretty good application, always nice to see some people apply that have some leadership experience.

200 ms is a bit scary though, that's a lot of lag. I suppose I have those same concerns with your fellow South African friends. I'll discuss it with our ranged officer Mooneclipse (also a warlock) and our resident South-African, and get back to you as soon as possible.
Rash - Holy Priest
Rashuwu - Mistweaver Monk
Porkkebab - Holy Paladin

June 17, 2016, 10:27:56 pm
Reply #7

Offline Shylar

• Guild Member

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 10:27:56 pm »
Hello again Pannion

Having previously been in Failed Experiment I remember Pannion, Elf and Moghou. As I recall, Pannion was ranged officer and Elf was healing officer (Moghou may have been melee but I cant remember). I found the 3 of them to be good raiders and good officers.

I also remember that occasionally they all did disconnect. However, I don't remember it being so frequent that it caused any massive delays or problems (I would estimate 1 disconnect every few raids but I cant be certain of this).

I have no say on recruitment but I believe these guys could bolster our raid and since they would have a trial period, any connection issues would be revealed then.

Best of luck with the applications boys.

"I'm not gay, I just appreciate a good cock when I see one."

June 19, 2016, 02:01:15 pm
Reply #8

Offline Mooneclipse

• Officer

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 02:01:15 pm »
Hiyo!

Sorry for the late apply, a lot has been going on lately. It has already been mentioned in this thread earlier, but I feel like I need to emphasize it - we're currently done with the content, and will not be raiding until Legion. I am more than happy to take you on as a trialist, but your trial period will be completed during when we are raiding in Legion. If you're fine with that, feel free to poke me or any other officer ingame for an invite  :)

Also, on a bit of a side-note just to satisfy my own curiosity, what are you currently doing your masters degree in?
"You smell so much nicer when you're awake"

June 19, 2016, 05:09:29 pm
Reply #9

Offline Pannion

• Guild Member

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 05:09:29 pm »
Hey there

No problem at all. There's been a lot on my end too. I'm perfectly happy with a trial in legion - to be honest I'm enjoying a bit of a break from raiding right now myself. I will ask for an invite in game as soon as I renew my sub.

As for my Masters I'm a medical cell biologist, but I did my undergrad in Biochem and physiology. If you want to know the specifics; my thesis was on developing a system to model the metastatic process, but its kind of evolved a bit into the effects of environment geometry on cell migration in 3D culture.

Haha bit of a mouthful, but yeah.

June 19, 2016, 06:55:49 pm
Reply #10

Offline Vejeta

• Guild Member

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 06:55:49 pm »
Haha bit of a mouthful, but yeah.

Giggity

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:23:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

151 Guests, 2 Users
JayLu1106, Phoenixflame