Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 PSP or DS?

February 28, 2008, 02:57:33 pm
Read 7866 times

Offline Tyler

• Guild Member

PSP or DS?
« on: February 28, 2008, 02:57:33 pm »
I am thinking of getting a hand-held console before I go snowboarding in France (hi2u 9 hour train ride).

I'm a little stuck on which one to get though, anyone any thoughts? PSP and DS both have the puzzle quest game that Goza recommended. PSP has Wipeout, but DS has Zelda...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:15:49 pm by Tyler »
Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say, "No."
Abe say, "What?"
God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but the next time you see me comin' you better run"
Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done?"
God says, "Out on Highway 61"

February 28, 2008, 03:02:43 pm
Reply #1

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
Re: PS2 or DS?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:02:43 pm »
That is some classic dyslexia... PSP! Not P2P!

Unless the PSP has some bittorrent client, which would be cool...

The PSP has Lumines, which is the greatest puzzle game since tetris. If you prefer RPGs, DS is probably the way to go -- think there's some old final fantasy titles you can pick up...

I think there's an RPG on the PSP actually, but I forget its name. Kawe's the one for this subject I think...
Now I run a tech website.

February 28, 2008, 03:15:17 pm
Reply #2

Offline Tyler

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:15:17 pm »
Damn those 2s and Ss, if only the people that were in charge of these things understood that a shape reflected through 180 degrees is the same damn shape!

I guess I’ll go edit the original.
God say, "No."
Abe say, "What?"
God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but the next time you see me comin' you better run"

February 28, 2008, 03:23:35 pm
Reply #3

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 03:23:35 pm »
It's hard for me to recommend a PSP right now, unless you also own a PS3 and also fiddled with it to make the ps3 serve medida to the psp over the intrawebs.

The PSP seems to have a potential resurgance in the coming depending on the success of the PS3, what with the integration between the two. Key word is potential though, there's quite simply just a lack of quality games on PSP right now.

DS hasn't got an astonishing games library, but there are plenty of gems and even decent genre variety. There's sandbox games like Animal Crossing: Wild World, racing games like MARIO KART (caps for awesome version of the game. If you loved the 64 version you'll love the DS version). There's a good showing of RPG content too, notably from Squeenix in the form of remade final fantasy 3 and 4, and also a sequel to final fantasy 12 subtitled Revenant Wings. As for puzzle games, you're kind of spoiled on the DS. Meteos is really enjoyable, and then there's stalwarts like tetris (whatever graphical remake they may have given it now). And of course, as you mentioned, Puzzle Quest, which has RPG elements.

Not to mention Zelda, which (shamefully) I haven't bought and played yet. But being Zelda, however re-hashed it may be it's almost a certainty that it will be very good. Though if you played Wind Waker on the GC and begrudged the long sailing times, I hear they're still present in Phantom Hourglass.

Sint's demanding I play CoD4 right now, but I hope that's enough to help you make the decision.

EDIT**
Forgot to mention, I saw a DS version of CoD4 when I was out earlier. Could be atrocious, could be good, but the idea of CoD4 on the DS hardware did make me giggle a little.

tl;dr - It's fairly likely the DS is a better bet, and pretty certainly is in the now, if not for the very long term (but probably is for that too).

February 28, 2008, 03:47:21 pm
Reply #4

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

Re: PSP or DS?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 03:47:21 pm »
i cant realy comment since i dont have a DS but the PSP has 2 nice games (prolly more) i realy like called locoroco and patapon
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

February 28, 2008, 04:08:10 pm
Reply #5

Offline Myogoblin

• Guild Member

• LOLEXECUTE!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 04:08:10 pm »
Tyler!

Go PSP i had both and the DS gets boring very fast so ended up on ebay,

The DS graphics are appalling plus you feel like a dick using a pen on a screen the size of your thumb.

Also, get yourself a nice 4gb or 8gb (if you can afford it) card. slap some movies on their, encode with handbrake :) but it supports anything the ipod does to my knowledge. watching Enter The Dragon widescreen on my psp is bliss. not to mention the music you can shove on it.

Gamewise silent hill is awesome, Final fantasty tactics is HUGE. GTA, puzzles like lumines and locoroco stand well. If your near Ipswich (cant remember where you live...) happy to show you the selection. got about 20 games for it.
UMD's still exist but cheaper to buy the big memory and encode your own.

EDIT VERY IMPORTANT

If you wanna save cash by a DS and get a DS SIMPLY device. then download all the games you want to it from torrents and stuff hehe
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 04:12:18 pm by Payu »

February 28, 2008, 04:08:40 pm
Reply #6

Offline Cwave

• Guild Member

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 04:08:40 pm »
DS for sure

Get a r4ds card for it and you are set

February 28, 2008, 05:30:26 pm
Reply #7

Offline Tyler

• Guild Member

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 05:30:26 pm »
Thanks for the input guys, the two games Grish mentioned are the reason we are having this conversation. I was all set to get a DS until I saw reviews of those two. One thing I am quite keen to know is how heavy the machines are and how long the battery lasts.

I’m not that interested in getting any games that I would be better off playing on the PC, like CoD or GTA. And I’m probably not going to get many games, I just want 3 or 4 awesome ones. When I had a GBA the only game I ever really played on it was Advance Wars 2, but I really liked that one.

Also as I took a break from gaming between 16 and 24 or so, and after that it was PC only, I’ve never played a Final Fantasy or Zelda game. So I thought this might be an opportunity to try one or both of those.
God say, "No."
Abe say, "What?"

February 28, 2008, 05:35:04 pm
Reply #8

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:35:04 pm »
I'd say DS, too. Prob depends on the games you prefer thou. And of course for the reason Cwave mentions. Get a r4ds or m3simply!

February 28, 2008, 06:22:23 pm
Reply #9

Offline Ino

• Guild Member

• ლ(ಠ_ಠლ

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:22:23 pm »
Thanks for the input guys, the two games Grish mentioned are the reason we are having this conversation. I was all set to get a DS until I saw reviews of those two. One thing I am quite keen to know is how heavy the machines are and how long the battery lasts.

I’m not that interested in getting any games that I would be better off playing on the PC, like CoD or GTA. And I’m probably not going to get many games, I just want 3 or 4 awesome ones. When I had a GBA the only game I ever really played on it was Advance Wars 2, but I really liked that one.

Also as I took a break from gaming between 16 and 24 or so, and after that it was PC only, I’ve never played a Final Fantasy or Zelda game. So I thought this might be an opportunity to try one or both of those.

One thing about the PSP is that you can also watch movies on it (you can on DS too, but the screen is very small), and it has some funky homebrew which means you can also play GBA/SNES/NES etc... games on the PSP.

I have both consoles and if I had to choose it would be the DS, because I have way more fun playing with the DS. The PSP has a few good games, but not as many as the DS does imo.

P.S. the r4ds rocks!

February 28, 2008, 07:08:48 pm
Reply #10

Offline Comrade Nox

• Former Member

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 07:08:48 pm »
I tried my friends PSP and DS, he has a bucketfull of games. DS was way more fun after having tried all of his 20ish games.

February 28, 2008, 08:21:46 pm
Reply #11

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 08:21:46 pm »
watching movies in eyestrainovision on the PSP isnt that fun
the PSP lasts for about 2-4 hours depending on how hard the music plays amongst other things which is the real downside of it

also from what i can see that neither the PSP or the DS has many games to call awesome

one thing i do have to mention is that there is a new advanced wars coming to the DS not sure what its called though
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:48:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

296 Guests, 1 User
Bürküt