Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Vantage Point

April 11, 2008, 05:59:35 am
Read 5369 times

Offline Daekesh

Vantage Point
« on: April 11, 2008, 05:59:35 am »
Not seen a lot of movies recently, but I'm glad I got back into them with this one.  Pretty good action film about the assassination of a fictional US president.  It's shown, as you may have guessed from the title, from several different view (or vantage!) points, all of which intersect over the course of the film.  Sort of like Pulp Fiction, without the style (and being about an assassination).

7-8/10.
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

April 11, 2008, 11:47:26 am
Reply #1

Offline Cwave

• Guild Member

Re: Vantage Point
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:47:26 am »
I liked this one aswell!
Bit too little background info/explanation near the end(need the info! like the info!) but it was a nice watch indeed

7/10

April 11, 2008, 05:30:10 pm
Reply #2

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 05:30:10 pm »
Pretty boring.

Vantage Point is about seeking the truth as an objective phenomenon. You see seven different points of view but there is only one truth. I dont find this approach very interesting. I think its more interesting and challenging to approach "the truth" from the perspective that it's in the eye of the beholder and that people can percept the same situation completly different, even in contradiction to eachother. Without lying.

In a WTFPWN movie, Rashomon, four people witness a murder. Everyone tells the story differently and in contradiction to eachother. As the viewer you are the judge and the witnesses tells you their stories. You seek "The Truth" but realise its impossible because they are all speaking the truth. Their truth. This movie is probably the best narrated one i've seen. Ever. See that one instead if you dont mind black and white (hihi in a sense Vantage Point is more black and white), japaneese, and somewhat special actors :P.

April 11, 2008, 07:16:42 pm
Reply #3

Offline Daekesh

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:16:42 pm »
It's not a mystery/deep type film like that tho, it's just an action film.  Don't mark it down because it doesn't try to be something it isn't.  There is no "but is this what really happened?" bits to the film.  It just reveals more and more of the story as seen from different perspectives.  Nothing is really contradictory.  You wouldn't, for instance, mark the latest Rambo film down because Stallone doesn't give an in-depth diatribe on the effect of war on the East.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:21:17 pm by TTaM »
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

April 12, 2008, 02:30:20 pm
Reply #4

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 02:30:20 pm »
Hehe, no, I agreee. It just remembered me how someone made a much better movie on the same theme. I dont think movies have to ask deep philosophical questions to be good :).

I just found it boring. Every POV gave us a bit new information but where pretty much the same. A lot of scenes where the same, just shot with a different camera.

April 16, 2008, 11:22:58 pm
Reply #5

Offline Skanki

• Community Member

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:22:58 pm »
Oh lawd. I went and saw this movie, but felt like it was groundhog day, with out the fun!

I know that was the point of the film, but in my opinion, it dragged, 1 more point of view and i was ready to ripe my penis off and thrust it in my mates face for suggesting the film.

I think it wasn't helped by the fact my other friend from Uni told me some of the twist, so overall, i'd give it a generous 6.5/10: Worth my student admission, but possibly not more.

PS.Matthew Fox is cool, he earnt it a few extra points, LOST!!111

June 14, 2008, 03:04:50 am
Reply #6

Offline Devlin

• Guild Member

• Not a hobo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 03:04:50 am »
i thought it was built up way too strong for its outcome. seeing sigourney weaver and zoe saldana in the intro really made me think this would be a good movie. the cast for this movie is pretty much entirely known/wellknown actors, which i only have good experiences of, so my hopes were high.
but i was so let down by the totally unreasonable coinsidences that just simply cannot happen. this is a movie that really tries to be serious, but it just fails again and again.

the tedious rewinding that occurs like popping of popcorns in the first half of the movie just made me want to go to sleep. yes, the movie revolves around the different views on the assassination, but it has to be done in a better way. the later half was entertaining to watch though, but not in a way i would want. it was more like "how many errors can i find before it ends" funny.

the concept of the movie is very interesting however, and the actors do pretty okay in my opinion. dennis quaid tries his best and i think he manages to keep one interested. forrest whitaker has always been a favourite of mine, and he keeps being that, dispite this letdown of a movie. he has a way of making characters interesting even though the rest is pretty dull.

overall, this is a vantage point movie for dummies. they overexplain everything, be it concrete or discrete. the flow-destroying rewinds really breaks this movie in my opinion, after the first 2 i just dropped any hope i had. multiple views of a happening can very much be executed with success, but in this movie its just taken way too far back in time. we get to see the last 10 minutes over and over again with very little extra input. the movie only gets going after the actual rewinds have taken place and we are set in the "present", which kind of sucks, since the movie should be (all) about the vantage points. atleast that was what i was hoping for. An example of an excellent multiple-pov movie is 11:14, which is a very underestimated and unknown, yet incredibly entertaining movie in my opinion.

vantage point has major plot holes and rely on coinsidences that are astronomically unbelievable. the self-proclaimed american superiority that seep through movies like these just make me want to vomit, and this one does it in a quite cheesy way (the "we have to attack" scene). although theres not much of it - nowhere near "air force one" for example - it immediately destroys alot for my opinion.

it was entertaining at times. the action keeps a fairly high tempo, and the story is easy to follow. politically oriented movies like this one however should not allow such big fictional space as it did. the actors try their best, and i think they succeed in making it atleast a bit entertaining, if only through the action.

4.5/10

!!!!!MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

if youve seen this movie and you have the same feelings as i do, read this comment on imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443274/board/nest/98502340?d=98684138&p=7#98684138

abso-fucking-lutely spot on :D i laughed for 5minutes!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:27:50 am by Devlin »

June 14, 2008, 02:50:41 pm
Reply #7

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 02:50:41 pm »
Finally got to watch it last night. As a simple action hollywood action movie, I think it did pretty well. They stopped doing their rewinds just in time... it was indeed getting old.

And yes, it's totally unbelievable and full of clichés, but I did expect that :)

Still 7/10 for a fun one-time watching.

**** minor spoiler ******

- the "one man army" doing the hotel stuff. yeah right :P
- OMG A KID STOPPPP! ... yeah right!
- Forrest Whitaker doing his trademark odd black guy in odd situation. how unique!
- Sigourney Weaver is in the movie for like... 15 minutes...? oO wtf
- my brother and me guessed after 20 minutes who was the bad guy...
- ...but at least I didn't guess the president twist

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 01:42:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

149 Guests, 0 Users