Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Into the wild

April 11, 2008, 10:13:23 am
Read 5066 times

Offline Gaeios(Graxlos)

• Imperator

• Forum Admin and Guild Master

Into the wild
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:13:23 am »
This movie was a bit different.

One of the most beautiful movies I have seen in a long time, dont watch this if you dont have time or if you are doing something else meanwhile.

Its quite long and has compared to its length very little dialogue.

Sound track is great made by Eddie Vedder (leadsinger in pearl jam) creates a very cool vibe.

Essentially its about a guy that gets tired of the conformity and how fake "normal life" is from his pov. He breaks away to try a different kind of life.
The story is about him learning and essentially growing up.
I didnt realize it was based on a true story untill the end.

Conclusion:
Most of you young guys wont appreciate this movie I suspect, but if you have 3 hours to kill and you are not afraid of many scenes of beautiful nature and a lot of existential dialogue then go for it.

9.5/10

Bears like alts!

April 11, 2008, 10:38:31 am
Reply #1

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

Re: Into the wild
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:38:31 am »
Yeah, pretty good movie. I also was unaware it's based on a true story.

**** spoiler ****

Maybe one thing to criticize about the movie is how I got the impression McCandless got a bit idolized by it, as the emphasis seems to lie on "there he is - doing his thing, omg he is so leet & independant, and that nasty rived ruined it!". Leaving your family behind without a word and giving a shit whether they worry for the rest of their lives what happened to you, yeah that's real win...  ::)

Also, if http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless is correct, he was also quite stupid:
"Because he had no maps, McCandless was unaware a hand-operated tram crossed the impassable river 1/4 mile from where he attempted to cross. There were cabins stocked with emergency supplies within a few miles of the bus, although they had been vandalized and all the supplies were spoiled, possibly by McCandless, as detailed in Lamothe's documentary."

*** end spoiler ***

But still, good movie. And as Graxlos said on IRC, "I think the movie worked well even without it being based on a 'true' story".

9/10

April 11, 2008, 10:43:02 am
Reply #2

Offline Gaeios(Graxlos)

• Imperator

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:43:02 am »
Spoiler response

I say anyone that idolizes him is a retard. And as the movie ends I do think he (in the movie atleast) realizes that he was wrong and that he should get back to the world.

Bears like alts!

April 11, 2008, 10:47:16 am
Reply #3

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:47:16 am »
Yeah, possible. I'm a bit unsure about what the movie's morale/message is. It does spin in the end, but a lot is still focused on "hey hey im the lone ranger thats so cool". Well but that ambivalence is a good thing as it makes you think about it yourself.

April 11, 2008, 03:13:02 pm
Reply #4

Offline delling

• Homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:13:02 pm »
I have this queued up for the weekend's viewing... hope it's good :)
Now I run a tech website.

April 12, 2008, 11:00:24 pm
Reply #5

Offline Daekesh

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 11:00:24 pm »
Excellent movie. 

Perhaps the morale of the story is not that leaving everything behind and breaking away is a bad thing, but that the circumstances leading up to such an act should be avoided.  The guy does seem to demonise his parents and the way they act.  His whole life, it seems, has been a way to punish them, rather than specifically to break free.  The bit in the bar when he's talking to the corn guy emphasises that point - he says he wants to break free from society, but when asked what specifically is wrong with it, he immediately says it's his parents, before fleshing it out with other examples.

There seems to be some strong religious undertones in it, too.  Lying on his death bed, dreaming of his parents and forgiving them for what they've done (repenting?) after his new found realisation, before being accepted into the heavens.  Some pretty strong imagery used there.
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

April 13, 2008, 01:58:11 pm
Reply #6

Offline Gaeios(Graxlos)

• Imperator

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 01:58:11 pm »
More spoilage.
Obviously subject to personal interpretation. Being an atheist I try to enjoy movies without the annoying always existing religious crap.
I saw the ending as him finally realizing what a fucking idiot he had been and that becoming a hermit is not the solution to all his problems.

Excellent movie. 

Perhaps the morale of the story is not that leaving everything behind and breaking away is a bad thing, but that the circumstances leading up to such an act should be avoided.  The guy does seem to demonise his parents and the way they act.  His whole life, it seems, has been a way to punish them, rather than specifically to break free.  The bit in the bar when he's talking to the corn guy emphasises that point - he says he wants to break free from society, but when asked what specifically is wrong with it, he immediately says it's his parents, before fleshing it out with other examples.

There seems to be some strong religious undertones in it, too.  Lying on his death bed, dreaming of his parents and forgiving them for what they've done (repenting?) after his new found realisation, before being accepted into the heavens.  Some pretty strong imagery used there.

Bears like alts!

August 11, 2008, 02:44:13 pm
Reply #7

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 02:44:13 pm »
just wanted to let everyone know that i found this movie to be very good :]

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:05:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

237 Guests, 3 Users
DNZ93, Spetsnaz, Stepan