Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 The Kingdom

January 06, 2008, 12:49:36 am
Read 5031 times

Offline Daekesh

The Kingdom
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:49:36 am »
I really don't know what I was expecting from this film when I started to watch it.  The intro about the history of Bin Laden seemed to paint it as a political dogma film about how America is awesome and the Arabs are evil, but it turned out completely different!  Which was nice.

It's sort of a look at terrorism from the Saudi's point of view, with a bit of politics thrown in.  And some explosions.  And a car chase or two.  Not forgetting Jennifer Garner.  Not bad!

8/10.
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

January 06, 2008, 04:53:13 pm
Reply #1

Offline treachery

• Former Member

Re: The Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 04:53:13 pm »
I think the quasi-intellectual excuse at the end of the movie is a very lame excuse for having americans blow up terrorists (and others) in saudi for two hours. I really didn't buy it and I didn't like this movie. I already knew that both terrorists and their self proclaimed executioners are idiots. I still had the feeling that the americans are the heroes in this movie and that alot of people will see it this way.

I'm also very tired of cinematographers who use a hand camera and shake it in an effort to make movies more realistic and exciting. It's just not realistic and exciting anymore, it's cheap and only proves their lack of skill to do anything more subtle. If I want a rollercoaster experience I go to the theme park.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 04:54:49 pm by treachery »

January 09, 2008, 07:25:28 pm
Reply #2

Offline Starbrow

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 07:25:28 pm »
I've seen this and liked it more than most newspaper reviewers in Denmark seemed to. Of course I can't help but notice military errors, having been in the army myself, but as those are almost always just for action effect it's not so important.

I must admit I liked the way the movie gave a little bit of an insight into what difficulties antiterror war must have across borders, and I liked the little point in the end of the movie, as it's probably true.

Other than that, nothing really fancy though.

6/10
Feral, a class of its own.

Alamo - REMEMBERS- HEEL BARES DURID! BARE DURIDS IS STORNG FREND!

March 06, 2008, 10:46:47 am
Reply #3

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:46:47 am »
Better than I expected. However while the first two acts show some interesting behind-the-scenes stuff (whether it might be true/realistic or not), the 3rd act declassifies the whole movie into some popcorn flick. Still interesting but in a Jerry Bruckheimer way.

Also, I don't quite unterstand this "Saudis/Arabs are not portrayed as the bad people" thing people talk about. While there's a theme of showing the local military/police point of view and Ashraf Barhom's character, most of the time they are still being portrayed as
- blocking the Americans from doing "their thing"
- being stubborn
- terrorists killing people
i.e. still typical Hollywood stuff. This also shows in the last line (~ "Don't fear them, eventually we will kill them all.")

March 06, 2008, 11:02:24 am
Reply #4

Offline Cwave

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:02:24 am »
Opening scene was impressive.

OKOK SPOILER LOEL
Liked it quit a bit, however the saudi policeman dying at the end was something that was so obvious from the start it sucked when it actually happened.

7.5/10
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:18:44 am by Cwave »

March 06, 2008, 11:11:18 am
Reply #5

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:11:18 am »
AMAGAD MEGASPOILER!

March 06, 2008, 01:54:49 pm
Reply #6

Auran

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 01:54:49 pm »
I loved this movie. Finally something good in the video rental/download sections of the underground movements.

Sure there are better movies, and american nationalism all over it, but the movies stirred up a lot of emotions which i think is nice when a movie can do that to you.

...and no, it´s no all about liking emotional movies... f.e. i hated Titanic. The entire movie was a spoiler to itself. two hours looking at some silly romance while you know from the start how it will end. and Celine Dion should eat a hamburger to gain some bodyfa.. body. or lend some from Kate Winslut.

A/O

March 06, 2008, 06:21:56 pm
Reply #7

Offline Daekesh

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 06:21:56 pm »
Also, I don't quite unterstand this "Saudis/Arabs are not portrayed as the bad people" thing people talk about. While there's a theme of showing the local military/police point of view and Ashraf Barhom's character, most of the time they are still being portrayed as
- blocking the Americans from doing "their thing"
- being stubborn
- terrorists killing people
i.e. still typical Hollywood stuff. This also shows in the last line (~ "Don't fear them, eventually we will kill them all.")

It's not portraying all Arabs are "evil" is the point, I think.  Half of it was just political pressure, which I don't think makes them look evil at all, it just shows how shit the system is.  The only people I really found to be portrayed badly are the terrorists.
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:12:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

162 Guests, 0 Users