Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

February 11, 2008, 05:53:32 pm
Read 6898 times

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:53:32 pm »
http://imdb.com/title/tt0408236/

Damn, expected more from it. Found most of the songs very bland and uninspired for being based on a Broadway musical. It gets better once they start about the different "brands" they'll offer, but by then it's already the last 3rd of the movie.

The story also fails to bring up interesting twists. OK, it's a musical, but still... no need to bore with a 08/15 revenge/love story.

6/10 for the cast and outfits mostly.

---  Here be spoilers:  ---
Why doesn't he recognize the daughter at the end? OK, he hasn't seen her for 15 years, but he himself brought up the plan to get her out of the asylum that night. Then later he finds a woman-slightly-dressed-as-a-boy in his flat, and goes "zomg intruder"?

February 11, 2008, 05:56:52 pm
Reply #1

Offline delling

• Homepage
Re: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 05:56:52 pm »
Still waiting for a day where me and my mum are both free to go and see this one...

It's not meant to be the best version of the musical vocally or musically. Just a version that brings it to the masses.

With lots of blood.

Hopefully I will enjoy it :)
Now I run a tech website.

February 11, 2008, 06:07:57 pm
Reply #2

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 06:07:57 pm »
But they did not write their own songs for the movie, did they?

Surprised there's a Broadway musical with such a mass of dull songs, but it might just be a matter of taste. Or they were just arranged-to-death in this version.

February 11, 2008, 07:29:19 pm
Reply #3

Offline delling

• Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:29:19 pm »
Nope, no new songs (that I know of).

But Sondheim was in on the production, so he might've re-arranged stuff.

The musical itself is not 'popular'. It is not easy listening. It's fairly complex! Like most of Sondheim's stuff I'm afraid :)

There's usually 1 or 2 'singles' that are pretty beautiful, and the songs are full of character...

But definitely no Disney-style musical :)

March 03, 2008, 01:17:55 pm
Reply #4

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:17:55 pm »
7/10

Nice settings, costumes and songs. I love how everything is so extremely black except when Sweeny looks back in time when everything is extremely colorful. Tim Burton's symbolism :). Oh, Alan Rickman completely pwns every scene he is in. He has been my favorite bad guy since Die Hard. I'm looking forward to see this movie again and maybe like it more. I think it can grow on you. I didn't get the OMG feeling I was hoping for this time.

March 03, 2008, 01:19:16 pm
Reply #5

Offline delling

• Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:19:16 pm »
I guess I'll have to upload the original stage production of this.

Just so you guys can hear the chorus, which was removed for the film and just replaced with those dramatic panning-around-London shots...

March 03, 2008, 02:32:17 pm
Reply #6

Offline Daekesh

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:32:17 pm »
Or perhaps an mp3?
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

March 03, 2008, 02:38:05 pm
Reply #7

Offline delling

• Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 02:38:05 pm »
I mean the MP3 version :)

There isn't a video recording of the original production. Some of the later ones though...

March 03, 2008, 02:44:52 pm
Reply #8

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 02:44:52 pm »
So Dell, did you enjoy the movie version...?

March 03, 2008, 02:55:11 pm
Reply #9

Offline delling

• Homepage
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 02:55:11 pm »
Hah... good question.

Yeah, it was a good movie... as a movie.

The tension that builds through the first hour is REALLY great. You're just waiting for that first slice to occur. Much greater than in the stage show.

But then in the stage show, Mrs Lovett is one of the best female roles ever written and Helena totally blows it. It's meant to be a STRONG CHARACTER ROLE. It was played by Angela Lansbury in the original -- yes, the girl from Murder She Wrote, Mrs Potts in Beauty & The Beast... and 100s of other strong female roles.

Helena was just a bit poo sadly.

(Also, Sweeney + Lovett are meant to be in their 50s I think... or at least a bit more past their prime...)

But yeah, the other parts were played very well. The two male kids were great. It was nice to see Tobias played by a child - normally it's done by a young adult, as Lovett is older -- 50+. You know he's actually meant to be a backwards child? Not an alcoholic... But I guess disabled kids don't make for such great viewing...

No chorus as I already mentioned. That scene where they're finally making pies, at her pie shop... all those people are meant to be singing. There's a great group number they missed out too. But hey, the dramatic orchestra ALMOST made up for it -- it was a great performance, better than the stage version. But hey, digital sound recordings and stuff...

Oh, and loved the gore. The stage version uses a razor that squirts blood, which is cool... but Tim took it to an entirely new level with the slicing and falling onto the ground...

Just a real shame about Helena...

March 03, 2008, 04:55:43 pm
Reply #10

Offline Myogoblin

• Guild Member

• LOLEXECUTE!

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 04:55:43 pm »
Hah... good question.

Yeah, it was a good movie... as a movie.

The tension that builds through the first hour is REALLY great. You're just waiting for that first slice to occur. Much greater than in the stage show.

But then in the stage show, Mrs Lovett is one of the best female roles ever written and Helena totally blows it. It's meant to be a STRONG CHARACTER ROLE. It was played by Angela Lansbury in the original -- yes, the girl from Murder She Wrote, Mrs Potts in Beauty & The Beast... and 100s of other strong female roles.

Helena was just a bit poo sadly.

(Also, Sweeney + Lovett are meant to be in their 50s I think... or at least a bit more past their prime...)

But yeah, the other parts were played very well. The two male kids were great. It was nice to see Tobias played by a child - normally it's done by a young adult, as Lovett is older -- 50+. You know he's actually meant to be a backwards child? Not an alcoholic... But I guess disabled kids don't make for such great viewing...

No chorus as I already mentioned. That scene where they're finally making pies, at her pie shop... all those people are meant to be singing. There's a great group number they missed out too. But hey, the dramatic orchestra ALMOST made up for it -- it was a great performance, better than the stage version. But hey, digital sound recordings and stuff...

Oh, and loved the gore. The stage version uses a razor that squirts blood, which is cool... but Tim took it to an entirely new level with the slicing and falling onto the ground...

Just a real shame about Helena...

I heard they cut alot out of this movie as well which was a shame. Anthony Stewart-Head had a much larger part and actually was a victim with a storyline! I think in the cinematic release he is visible in one scene as a background character.

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 05:41:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length