Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Films to see before you die.

January 20, 2009, 07:09:45 pm
Reply #45

Offline Vorte

• Guild Member

• Ffffffffffff

Re: Films to see before you die.
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2009, 07:09:45 pm »
All depends of the person Vorte , Troya is abit old and heavy movie
(alot of violance aswell) / not everyone will like it I guess , but I personaly enjoyed watching it for second time .

Heavy breathing and bad acting is more what I'm pointing fingers at, but sure:P
[22:27] <Globox> I cry when I clean my left ear with a q-tip

January 20, 2009, 07:18:35 pm
Reply #46

Offline Thoramon

• Guild Member

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2009, 07:18:35 pm »
Probably , but simple movies full of good positive heroes & actions and always happyend are not on my taste .I'd recommend you to watch Batman & Terminator (if you havent yet) , may be they will perfectly fit to your taste Vorte  :D

January 21, 2009, 08:48:16 am
Reply #47

Offline Gaeios(Graxlos)

• Imperator

• Forum Admin and Guild Master

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 08:48:16 am »
Having read the Illiad in school, I thought Troy was pretty fail as it had some pretty weird changes compared to the original story. 
The biggest story problem was that they needed to make mr. longear legolas(Paris) a hero as that would sell more tickets, where he in the original story is a superficial coward, that in no way is the guy that kills Achilleus.

It was pretty impressive to look at though.

Bears like alts!

January 21, 2009, 03:32:43 pm
Reply #48

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 03:32:43 pm »
Well I got the impression the idea was for you to hate paris for being such a bitchy fail tosser, and hate him even more for then killing Achilles - I didn't feel he was meant to look heroic for doing what he did. I really hated that character. Total twat.

January 21, 2009, 04:18:35 pm
Reply #49

Auran

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 04:18:35 pm »
What i hated most about Troy was the total absence of the Gods. They form a solid part of greek mythology and leaving them out is silly.

Ofcourse it will look more 'historic' that way, but I missed a lightning bolt (or sunshine bolt whatever) from the sky when Achilles cut off Apollo's head.

Kind regards,
Aurz.

January 29, 2009, 07:46:30 pm
Reply #50

Offline Lotinja

• Former Member

• I are Tabdot

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2009, 07:46:30 pm »
Paris did kill Achilles from what i can remember of the illiad when i read it a few months ago.

Checked it out on Wiki and found this (Sure it might not be the most secure source, but hey, it proves what i say is not compleatly off)

"As predicted by Hector with his dying breath, Achilles was thereafter killed by Paris—either by an arrow (to the heel according to Statius), or in an older version by a knife to the back while visiting Polyxena, a princess of Troy. In some versions, the god Apollo guided Paris' arrow."

Remember also that in Greek sociaty, this was still a very dishonorable way of killing someone.

Cant recall what killed him though
All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass.

Because, all grass withers, and the flower falls away

February 02, 2009, 08:44:54 pm
Reply #51

Offline Gozhell

• Guild Member

• tumblr blog
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2009, 08:44:54 pm »
Donnie Darko.

I'm not sure what there is to say about this movie, or in which genre to put it in. If I had to I'd say that it was a drama-/sci-fi-/fantasy-/thrillermovie.

It basically tells the story of an american teenager, and his life along with his imaginary rabbit friend, Frank. It's a quite deep movie and each time you see it you see things you didn't notice the previous time you watched it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/

What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Another 'deep' movie, dramallama along with comedy. Was quite a while ago since I saw this movie, but I reckon that you follow a guy, a very special guy. He's got a retarded brother that he needs to look out for and his mother laying in the bed all day long with her MASSIVE weight of 500pounds.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108550/

February 03, 2009, 09:47:37 am
Reply #52

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 09:47:37 am »
Donnie Darko.

I'm not sure what there is to say about this movie, or in which genre to put it in. If I had to I'd say that it was a drama-/sci-fi-/fantasy-/thrillermovie.

It basically tells the story of an american teenager, and his life along with his imaginary rabbit friend, Frank. It's a quite deep movie and each time you see it you see things you didn't notice the previous time you watched it.

After learning about all the hype about that movie, I watched the Director's cut ~2 years ago and it's such a piece of balderdash.
Felt to me like some student praised cult classic you can only watch with some stoned friends.

February 24, 2009, 03:06:07 am
Reply #53

Offline Karga

• Guild Member

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2009, 03:06:07 am »
it's not easy to make " the a Hall of Fame ". so this is more, like a "should be watched"

Nightmare Before Christmass

This is something beyond the brain, the determinatedness, the creativity... it s poetic... it's a masterpiece made by "Henry Selick" which is also working on another animation for the last 4 years which is named "Coraline" based on a book of Neil Geiman. The popular guy, the writer of Stardust, and the old Sandman series. it will be launched on the theaters in these days.
There are some movies, which should anyway watched if they had nothing but a black screen for 90 minutes.
i can say the same for the soundtrack of Conan the Barbarian, but that's kinda old stuff. And i know many people won't appreciate it. in my opinion, 1982 made Conan has still the best soundrack for the 20th century. i know that Basil Poledouris + John Milius + Arnold are not the best for making a movie. They are not even the worst. But somehow it worked. This persons met each other in the right place, right time, and made something over their potencial. So i can add that, "Conan the Barbarian 1982" is also another one to be watched. But keep in mind not to watch the false version which has been directed by Richard FLeischer. it's totally shit. it's an action/fantasy movie. it's kinda betrayal to the memory of Robert E.Howard

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

i like it when they amplify the kung fu fighting scenes. it has also been applied to this one. But in a poetic and smooth way. The music and rhythm of the scenes worksin a beautiful harmony. The art direction and cinematography is perfect.

Gattaca

is another one. For the score, for the vision for the future vision on birth/occupation system. And the human nature of perseverance shown on this movie thrills me up.

i guess this is enough for a quick reply.  ???
君に魔法をかけて蛙にしてやろう。 (i'll bewitch you into a frog!)

March 04, 2009, 10:13:45 pm
Reply #54

Offline Morbid

• Guild Member

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:45 pm »
Man i've seen some trash comming through so far  ;)

Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but i 've just seen El Laberinto del fauno again, and it's just uber.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

Best comic movie so far.

V for Vendetta.

March 05, 2009, 01:16:42 am
Reply #55

Offline Ahkailon

• Guild Member

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2009, 01:16:42 am »

Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but i 've just seen El Laberinto del fauno again, and it's just uber.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

Absolutely awesome film!

March 05, 2009, 09:01:13 am
Reply #56

Offline Gaeios(Graxlos)

• Imperator

• Forum Admin and Guild Master

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2009, 09:01:13 am »
Response to lotinja:
The full quote from the wiki you quoted:
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achilles
As predicted by Hector with his dying breath, Achilles was thereafter killed by Paris with an arrow (to the heel according to Statius). In some versions, the god Apollo guided Paris's arrow.
Ajax carries off the body of Achilles: Attic black-figure lekythos, ca. 510 BCE, from Sicily (Staatliche Antikensammlungen, Munich

Both versions conspicuously deny the killer any sort of valor owing to the common conception that Paris was a coward and not the man his brother Hector was, and Achilles remained undefeated on the battlefield.

It might be something lacking in the danish translation but he is randomly hit by an arrow of many and the book does not give Paris any credit for the kill. Where in the movie it is 1v1 and he just shoots him directly.

Paris did kill Achilles from what i can remember of the illiad when i read it a few months ago.

Checked it out on Wiki and found this (Sure it might not be the most secure source, but hey, it proves what i say is not compleatly off)

"As predicted by Hector with his dying breath, Achilles was thereafter killed by Paris—either by an arrow (to the heel according to Statius), or in an older version by a knife to the back while visiting Polyxena, a princess of Troy. In some versions, the god Apollo guided Paris' arrow."

Remember also that in Greek sociaty, this was still a very dishonorable way of killing someone.

Cant recall what killed him though

Bears like alts!

March 09, 2009, 04:09:19 pm
Reply #57

Offline Thoramon

• Guild Member

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 04:09:19 pm »
I coudnt find those 2 movies in the other posts above , but I watched them during the weekend and imo they worth mentioning .They might not be taste for everyone , if you like too much explosive actions and fast running , but those of you who likes drama and romantic movies would find them pretty good , especially the first one , second one is more spy military style with more actions .

Meet Joe Black - romantic drama with Brat Pit and Anthony Hopkins (light and funny movie )

Spy Games - criminal drama with Brat Pit ( not sure if the name is the same on English,
I translated it myself) .

April 08, 2009, 02:10:01 pm
Reply #58

Offline Karga

• Guild Member

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2009, 02:10:01 pm »
i watched them both. Joe Black was cool, and for the time it has been released "J.B" was a weird and cool concept. And the most interesting part for such a concept was, it was kinda love story.
Spy game was also cool. And what i liked most was the soundtrack.
君に魔法をかけて蛙にしてやろう。 (i'll bewitch you into a frog!)

June 16, 2009, 09:42:53 pm
Reply #59

Offline Accunster

• Former Member

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2009, 09:42:53 pm »
Aguierre, Wrath of God has got a mention, making my heart warm. Quote from that film should appeal to a crazy raid lead  ;)
"I am the great traitor. There must be no other. Anyone who even thinks about deserting this mission will be cut up into 198 pieces. Those pieces will be stamped on until what is left can be used only to paint walls. Whoever takes one grain of corn or one drop of water... more than his ration, will be locked up for 155 years. If I, Aguirre, want the birds to drop dead from the trees... then the birds will drop dead from the trees. I am the wrath of god. The earth I pass will see me and tremble. But whoever follows me and the river, will win untold riches. But whoever deserts..."
I myself holds Fitzcarraldo as Werner Herzogs best work. It'a also about struggle against impossible odds and also about an idea gone wild but I guess it's about personal taste. Opera > Cities of gold so to say.

My absolute favourite film of all times, that everyone should see is The Sweet Hereafter by Atom Egoyan. A small community is struck with tragedy when a school bus accident kills a lot of children. The crash has only two survivors, the driver and one young girl. Enters a lawyer (played by Ian Holm - Bilbo you no goods) from LA who want to sue the driver and by that scratches on all the wounds from the tragedy. The movie gets your mind going and still to this day I can't forget it some 10 years since I saw it for the first time.

If you are to see only one silent movie in your life I suggest Intolerance made 1916 by DW Griffith. Hi's "Birht of a Nation" is held in higher regard today, but I disagee. Intolerance is so far ahead its time with four stories in four different timeages interwoven. And every split screen with dialogue is amazing. A must see. If you fancy that take a look at Körkarlen made by Victor Sjöström 1921. He took the movies to the next level - no cgi but it's scary as hell and looks amazing considering it's almost 100 years old.

Last for now is a comedy. Comedy is hard, Mel Brooks defined it as: "If I cut my finger it's tragedy, if you fall down an open sewer and die it's comedy" My favourite here is Planes, Trains and Automobiles as it is also a feel-good movie. The movie was made back in the days when Steve Martin was funny and John Candy was alive. I have seen this movie quite a few times and I always cry at the end having laughed the whole movie through. Thats quality.

Accunster\o/Jonas

PS best movie review site on skynet is: Filthy Critic DS
Huggy bears hugged and the world was a better place

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:45:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

295 Guests, 0 Users