Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Meepo - Mini Guide

October 24, 2008, 02:38:42 pm
Read 10495 times

Offline Palmar

• Guild Member

Meepo - Mini Guide
« on: October 24, 2008, 02:38:42 pm »
First post I'm doing in a series of mini-guides on the various heroes I like to play in DOTA. The reason I'm doing these guides is because our play-style is very different from what the leagues suggest, so the same strategies do not apply. I would appreciate it if people would take the time to write guides on heroes they excel at playing. The other thing I hope to do is increase the diversity in hero choices for our players. Image links can be found on www.dota-allstars.com

Meepo - The Geomancer

Basic Info

Meepo is a melee glass cannon, that's about all you need to know about him. He has very likely the highest dps of any hero in the game without insane items, and couple with that the fact that if you execute the attack correctly, next to no-one can get away from Meepo. The reason no-one picks him is that we seem to greatly favour early game gankers, and late game carries, over heroes that really shine mid-game. He is also very squishy, and needs solo lane more than anyone else in the game.

His images deal full damage. If one of them dies, Meepo dies. They only share the boots that Meepo has, that's why I take the Power Treads (Str) over the generally superior Boots of Travel. The images gain 25% of stats bonuses meepo has, and that's the explanation of the end-game items I buy. Vitality booster will give the images no health at all. It needs to be +str, and not +hp.

Also, the Meepos count as seperate heroes with shared experience bar. If you have two Meepos in a lane farming, and one friendly hero, the XP gets split in three. 2 parts go to Meepo, and 1 part goes to the friend. If you have 2 Meepos in a lane, you're also getting the group XP bonus (solo hero doesn't get full 2x xp of dual lane heroes).

This is how you level stupidly fast, because same also goes for ganks.

How can you not like going in with the odds of 4v1??

Skills

Earthbind
Rains earthen spikes across a target area, pinning down all enemy units in the 225 AOE. Lasts 2 seconds.

Level 1 - 500 casting range.
Level 2 - 750 casting range.
Level 3 - 1000 casting range.
Level 4 - 1250 casting range.

Cooldown: 20/16/12/8 seconds.

Level 1: 100 mana, 20 sec cooldown.
Level 2: 100 mana, 16 sec cooldown.
Level 3: 100 mana, 12 sec cooldown.
Level 4: 100 mana, 8 sec cooldown.

This is your signature ability. 8 second unlinked cooldowns at max level. 4 Meepos = permanent root. Can you ask for more? Learning to aim the net on moving targets is the hardest thing about playing Meepo, and it's not very hard at all. You can have all your Meepos selected and tab through them to highlight a new one. Very usefule for chain netting.

Poof!
Drawing mystical energies from the earth, Meepo can teleport to another Geomancer, leaving destruction in his wake. After channeling for 1.5 seconds, Meepo instantly teleports to nearest target Geomancer, dealing damage in 400 AOE in the departure and arrival locations.

Level 1 - 40 damage.
Level 2 - 80 damage.
Level 3 - 120 damage.
Level 4 - 160 damage.

Cooldown: 20/18/16/14 seconds.

Level 1: 140 mana, 20 sec cooldown.
Level 2: 120 mana, 18 sec cooldown.
Level 3: 100 mana, 16 sec cooldown.
Level 4: 80 mana, 14 sec cooldown.

Fun stuff. I don't use it, but it can be used in very creative ways. at 25, chain poof all your Meepos while hitting something in a net = 1500 nuke. But it's still more of a flashy than useful skill.

Geostrike
The Geomancer enchants his weapon with the essence of the earth, crushing the life from his enemies and numbing their legs. Slows target movement speed and deals 15 damage per second. These effects are additive with other geomancers. Lasts 2 seconds.

Level 1 - 5% slow.
Level 2 - 10% slow.
Level 3 - 15% slow.
Level 4 - 20% slow.

Buff placers do not stack

Passive

This is the secret. Did you know that the 20% slow stacks for every Meepo? that's a 80% slow once all your Meepos have hit the target. It also adds some extra damage and a dot that can finish people for you. Very great passive.

Divided We Stand
Meepo summons an imperfect, semi-autonomous duplicate of himself, which can gain gold and experience as he does and shares his experience and abilities. However, the clones cannot wield any items but the boots that Meepo himself wears. Clones gain 25% of any extra attributes the primary has. If one clone dies, they all die.

Level 1 - 1 Geomancer.
Level 2 - 2 Geomancers.
Level 3 - 3 Geomancers.

Passive

Lol, more Meepo!

Skill Build

1. Geostrike
2. Earthbind
3. Geostrike
4-5. Earthbind
6. Divided We Stand
7. Earthbind
8-9. Geostrike
10. Stats
11. Divided We Stand
12-15. Stats
16. Divided We Stand
17-21. Stats
22-25. Poof

Item Build

Start out with ring of regen, 2x ironwood (gg) branches and a set of tangoes.

The first two items you buy, should be:
headdress of rejuv recipie
boots of speed.

Then you need to rush
Mekansm
Power T(h)reads (Strength)

Buy the Belt of Giant Strength before the Gloves of Haste.

Once you have your power treads, build:
vladimir's offering

(ring of basilius, ring of regen, mask of death and recipie)

This gives your meepos a life steal for some extra survivability, and you have your core build right there.

Now you can own just about every hero in the game 1v1. You're an unstoppable killing machine, and nothing gets away from you. Your weakness still remains the glass cannon factor, so that's what we're taking care of next. Remember that the only way to increase the images' health, is to boost your strenght. Let's go for a cheap strength boost now

Ogre Axe x2

If you're already far ahead, and got plenty of gold to spare, feel free to take Messerschmidt's Reaver instead, but that's 25 str for 3200 gold, vs 20 str for 2000 gold. But you save the inventory slot, and that's somewhat worth it.

Finish off by soloing Roshan, and taking the aegis, and you should be pretty rockin.

How to play!

Solo lane. This is highly important in our games. If you don't get a solo lane, you might as well pick something else. You need to last hit and deny aggresively, since you're squishy until you have your mekansm. If you're laned against a melee hero, you should be fine, that's the optimal situation. 2 nukers/stunners is the worst possible scenario, but just deny and hug your own tower.

If you're playing against an aggressive melee suicider 1v1, you can score some good kills even before 6 with net and geostrike.

If an enemy gets cocky early game, feel free to net him inside tower range, and force him to take an extra hit or two. Play it safe though, and don't chase kills until at least level 6.

At level 6 you have two Meepos, from now on, you should always have at least one Meepo in lane/jungling, while the other(s) hop back and heal. Focus on not dying and finishing your item build, you should outlevel the rest of the game by 2 levels or so at 11, and that's when you get your third Meepo and become an unstoppable monster.

Start looking for ganks. Let your team know you want to gank something. Unlike other gankers who seek low hp heroes, you're looking for badly positioned heroes. You don't care about their hp, you'll kill them in seconds anyway, but you can't tank towers like Balanar or Naix, so you're looking for cheap positional kills.

Once you find a hero in a bad place, move all your meepos over. Cast the first net from the shadows, and run in. Keep tab-netting them to prevent the escape. Once all your Meepos have gotten one hit in on the hero, he's doomed. Collect kill and moneys, and troll the opponent on vent. Only a few kills will lead you to become so high above your enemies in levels, that they won't stand a chance, and the proper carries on your team can farm in safety because they're afraid of you.

Do not die, that's the important part. Death hurts Meepo more than any other hero, because you're not getting your extra experience while dead...

Meepo loses his big shine late-game. Proper carries can now drop the squishy images fast and reliably, so just poof around (you should be 25...) and push lanes. your dps is still respectable, and if you've played this right, you should now have a carry hero on your team completely ripping up the opposition.

Heroes to watch out for!

Meepo does have natural enemies. AoE Stunners and AoE-ers in general come to mind. Short list of counters to Meepo would be.

Axe - counter-helix, need I say more?
Sand King - Earthquake
Earthshaker - His ulti just gets better because of you
Rylai - AoE spam
Leshrac - AoE spam
Vengeful - Swap a Meepo, rape a meepo
Magnus - Ulti + cleave
Centaur - AoE stun
Tiny - AoE stun

And some others I've forgot!

More Meepos please!

Edits: format/grammar
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 02:43:01 pm by Palmar »
Trolls are awesome!

October 24, 2008, 02:51:49 pm
Reply #1

Offline Ino

• Guild Member

• ლ(ಠ_ಠლ

Re: Meepo - Mini Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:51:49 pm »
Great guide! Though I'm not very good at controlling multiple heroes at once I'll probably skip this one...

October 24, 2008, 02:52:54 pm
Reply #2

Offline Palmar

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:52:54 pm »
You don't really need to...

drag around them and select them all. People overestimate the micro involved.

If you get good at tabbing net, it's pretty simple.
Trolls are awesome!

October 24, 2008, 04:54:49 pm
Reply #3

Offline starshadow

• Former Member

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 04:54:49 pm »
I play meepo actualy allot also... Though i prefer to level poof fast its easy for grinding and actualy great for ganking aswell.. :)

October 24, 2008, 06:08:24 pm
Reply #4

Eyehole

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 06:08:24 pm »
there are some anti-Geomancer heros in dota. which are can be Axe; can taunt and aoe dmg by his 3rd passive skill and ulti! or magnus... well Geomancer is strong on 1vs1.. i really dont wanna come face to face at natural creps with him. but a good int hero like witch doctor can stun curse etc. also. It's easy to kill him with team work i guess. all you need is a good strong stunner and having the correct items. that's all comes to my mind at first sight...

October 24, 2008, 06:12:46 pm
Reply #5

Offline Ino

• Guild Member

• ლ(ಠ_ಠლ

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 06:12:46 pm »
Why haven't you played dota with us Eyehole  ;D

October 24, 2008, 06:30:09 pm
Reply #6

Eyehole

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 06:30:09 pm »
well i'm playin on turkish servers + eurobattle for a long time... i need to get an orginal cd key to play with you guys.. i will go&buy soon i guess.. i love playin dota..

October 24, 2008, 09:59:31 pm
Reply #7

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 09:59:31 pm »
This is a good guide :)

Add omniknight to anti-hero list imo

October 25, 2008, 01:54:33 pm
Reply #8

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 01:54:33 pm »
and nessaj and riki
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

October 25, 2008, 03:03:04 pm
Reply #9

Offline Palmar

• Guild Member

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 03:03:04 pm »
how on earth does riki counter meepo?
Trolls are awesome!

October 25, 2008, 03:34:43 pm
Reply #10

Eyehole

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 03:34:43 pm »
riki' cloud serves maybe... who knows... but a smart meepo can handle riki

October 25, 2008, 07:06:15 pm
Reply #11

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 07:06:15 pm »
how on earth does riki counter meepo?
clouds man!!! also invis man!!
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox

October 25, 2008, 07:33:13 pm
Reply #12

Inphy

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 07:33:13 pm »
And lich's ultimate!

October 25, 2008, 08:02:31 pm
Reply #13

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 08:02:31 pm »
oh yeah that is awesome on him

October 25, 2008, 08:11:47 pm
Reply #14

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 08:11:47 pm »
Nessaj doesn't really counter meepo more than any other hero that has a stun... not worth mentioning. Same with riki tbh.

Lich is only kind of, since yeah, his chain frost will bounce between the meepos, in some situations that works relatively to meepo's favour compared to if he was another hero.

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:29:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

342 Guests, 1 User
Ripjoerogan