Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Tactics discussion - Iron Edge problem solving tool

September 05, 2010, 02:37:50 am
Reply #15

Offline Destro

• Former Member

Re: Tactics discussion - Iron Edge problem solving tool
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:37:50 am »
I just charge in with my SCV's and kill his workers... its worked 3/5 times, only because the players were bad and they didnt react to me attacking them, they just carried on mining >_< FUCK YEAH PRACTICE LEAGUE!

I have a very huge brain.

September 05, 2010, 09:12:39 am
Reply #16

Offline Yoica

• Officer

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 09:12:39 am »
Send out a scout

This is a good for normal league games, but in practice league bases all the entrances past the 1st natural expansion are blocked off by rocks.

I just charge in with my SCV's and kill his workers... its worked 3/5 times, only because the players were bad and they didnt react to me attacking them, they just carried on mining >_< FUCK YEAH PRACTICE LEAGUE!

How do manage to get past the rocks blocking all the entrances in practice league before he has any kind of units?

September 05, 2010, 03:31:54 pm
Reply #17

Offline kagemoth

• Former Member

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 03:31:54 pm »
i think he means placement, which doesnt have rocks.
Insanity doesn't run in my family. Rather, it strolls through, taking its time, getting to know everyone personally.

September 05, 2010, 03:45:22 pm
Reply #18

Offline Yathezai

• Former Member

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:22 pm »
Thanks Rash!

I played some more, still getting beat up like a little child, kinda frustrating...

Well I wanna learn it the right way, not some zerg-the-scrub-tactic. :p My main problem is probably focussing to much on resources. How many workers do you usually build as Terran? I had 32 after 8 minutes or something, a second base as well, but then the opponent came right when I send my army up to destroy the rocks.  :-\ Had too little defense to survive about 10 reapers and got slaughtered pretty quickly after that. All of you emphasize those SCV's so much but am I doing it overboard? I scanned his base a couple of times, it wasn't threatening at all (probably didn't scan a barrack...) so I kept on building them.

Guess I"ll need to build more bunkers + more marines. Gonna play some more and hopefully upload a VOD against a (in my eyes) decent opponent so you can give me some more specific tips!

September 05, 2010, 04:07:45 pm
Reply #19

Offline Palmar

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 04:07:45 pm »
Thanks Rash!

I played some more, still getting beat up like a little child, kinda frustrating...

Well I wanna learn it the right way, not some zerg-the-scrub-tactic. :p My main problem is probably focussing to much on resources. How many workers do you usually build as Terran? I had 32 after 8 minutes or something, a second base as well, but then the opponent came right when I send my army up to destroy the rocks.  :-\ Had too little defense to survive about 10 reapers and got slaughtered pretty quickly after that. All of you emphasize those SCV's so much but am I doing it overboard? I scanned his base a couple of times, it wasn't threatening at all (probably didn't scan a barrack...) so I kept on building them.

Guess I"ll need to build more bunkers + more marines. Gonna play some more and hopefully upload a VOD against a (in my eyes) decent opponent so you can give me some more specific tips!

nope, we need a replay to properly help you, but you should constantly produce scv's all the time. (at least until like 60-70)
Trolls are awesome!

September 05, 2010, 04:49:29 pm
Reply #20

Offline Yathezai

• Former Member

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 04:49:29 pm »
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/72661-1v1-terran-novice-blistering-sands#rd:dna

Keep in mind I'm absolutely terrible and this was my 10th game I think. First time I actually used Banshees! Any feedback is appreciated.  :)

September 05, 2010, 06:27:25 pm
Reply #21

Offline Sintrael

• Guild Member

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 06:27:25 pm »
Word i only just got around to reading this thread, one thing i wanted to point out was on the first page rash said the optimal amount of workers on a mineral field was 2, and this led to 22 being the optimal for a base, this is infact incorrect, the optimal workers on a mineral field is 3, with 3 in the gas as well, this leads to 30 being the optimal amount per base.

My question for this thread is: how the fuck do you beat marine marauder, with or without medivac...

I play protoss, and since gold league i just cant beat mmm strats... unless i cheese like a cunt... even worse is if they have tanks in the back... and stims... its just too strong

September 05, 2010, 06:36:52 pm
Reply #22

Offline Palmar

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 06:36:52 pm »
I thought you were in diamond now sint?

also, the answer to your question is to build more units.
Trolls are awesome!

September 05, 2010, 09:08:44 pm
Reply #23

Offline Sparrowhawk

• Guild Member

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 09:08:44 pm »
Outmacro and high templars are teh way, nuf said. If ghosts appear, you are fucked tho ;)

September 05, 2010, 09:25:51 pm
Reply #24

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 09:25:51 pm »
1base collosus seems to work quite well against MMM

i have a... rather interesting question i think
Armor upgrade VS Shield upgrade for protoss which one is better? and does armor affect the amount of damage absorbed by the shield?
edit: what i meant by the last question was does the shield benefit from the damage reduction from the armor upgrade? as in if a zealot or whatever takes 10 damage from something without the armor upgrade but 9 with it does it affect the shield aswell
meaning would the shield still take 10 damage or just 9 with the armor upgrade?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:29:23 pm by Grishnag »
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

September 05, 2010, 09:33:53 pm
Reply #25

Offline Daekesh

• Guild Member

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 09:33:53 pm »
The armour upgrade increases the armour of health.  The shield upgrade increases the armour of the shield. (I checked the upgrade in the map editor.)

I'd say the shield one is better because it takes longer to get to the point where the unit takes damage that doesn't regen.
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

September 05, 2010, 09:37:47 pm
Reply #26

Offline Illusion

• Community Member

• It's all in your mind...

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 09:37:47 pm »
The shield upgrade also affects ALL protoss units (and buildings I think...), whether they be ground units or flying. That is why it is the most expensive upgrade(starts at 200/200 instead of the usual 100/100) because it affects such a large range of units.

Though if your fighting Terran, you might prefer the armor upgrade if they are going ghosts. EMP effectively making your shields useless T.T

September 05, 2010, 10:32:26 pm
Reply #27

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 10:32:26 pm »
yah wasnt talking about vs terran just overall

though i have yet to fight terran who uses ghosts effectively
might have something to do with bieng in the silver legue mind
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

September 06, 2010, 10:49:29 pm
Reply #28

Offline Sintrael

• Guild Member

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 10:49:29 pm »
I am in diamond palm, was just saying that _since_ gold i havent been able to confidently counter mmm

September 07, 2010, 03:32:38 pm
Reply #29

Offline Draconis

• Former Member

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 03:32:38 pm »
Sint you might wanna look at this :P

its pretty fun, combine it with a late templar / colo it should work out well.

I tried it 4 times till now, 3 vs terran and it works well (especially if the fucker gets late ghosts).
Remember to use feedback on point defense drones ;) and have obs on the map. Getting the siege tanks hit on the move works well if he gets some.

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:08:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

263 Guests, 0 Users