Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Prototype

June 09, 2009, 01:59:34 pm
Read 8943 times

Offline Douchebag

• Former Member

• Saerin - Dwarf Warlock

Prototype
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:59:34 pm »
I've been raving on about this game for a few months now, and now, It's almost here!

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, It's like a cross between GTA4 and Hulk ultimate destruction.

It's based on New York city you are a Prototype (olo) of a new weapon, you managed to break free and then you go and search for revenge.

Meanwhile New York itself is tearing apart, there is a virus going round mutating people and causing them to turn into some sort of monsters.

Here are some videos.

It is out 13th of June in the UK (and EU) for Ps3/360/PC £35 on steam, £30 on play.

June 09, 2009, 02:58:58 pm
Reply #1

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
Re: Prototype
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:58:58 pm »
Ah yes, the super-duper-mega-antihero game.

Well, it'll be pretty at least. And fun for a while, hopefully.
Now I run a tech website.

June 09, 2009, 04:41:18 pm
Reply #2

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 04:41:18 pm »
and out at 12th of june (thats this friday for the people who cant be bothered to check the calander)
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

June 09, 2009, 07:28:51 pm
Reply #3

Offline Douchebag

• Former Member

• Saerin - Dwarf Warlock

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 07:28:51 pm »
and out at 12th of june (thats this friday for the people who cant be bothered to check the calander)

13th, Sat for Europe!

June 09, 2009, 07:36:35 pm
Reply #4

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:36:35 pm »
dutch commercial says 12th regardless THIS FUCKING WEEKEND MOTHERFUCKER
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox

June 09, 2009, 11:50:01 pm
Reply #5

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:50:01 pm »
Hmm, it's been available for ~1week but I haven't DLed it yet cause I'm not sure about it's quality.

June 10, 2009, 12:06:31 pm
Reply #6

Offline Douchebag

• Former Member

• Saerin - Dwarf Warlock

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 12:06:31 pm »
Hmm, it's been available for ~1week but I haven't DLed it yet cause I'm not sure about it's quality.

DL'ing now.

1% over 8 hours.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOO

June 10, 2009, 03:48:46 pm
Reply #7

Offline Daekesh

• Guild Member

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 03:48:46 pm »
Downloaded it last night (100% olol).  Will try it out later.
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

June 14, 2009, 03:32:07 am
Reply #8

Offline Lotinja

• Former Member

• I are Tabdot

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 03:32:07 am »
Just tried it out fora  good 3 hours

It's like snuggles said. A Mix between GTA and The hulk, though i'd say it has a bit of Assasins Creed/ Spider-man in it

Tried it on the 360, and it was amazing, have'nt been this entertained when it comes to games in quite some time.

Plot is interesting, graphics are great. Big freedom, still alot of side things to do.

Either hunt the mutant, blow up a military base

Or pick up a car and use it as a shield while you dash through the streets sending pedestrians left right and straight up!

I chose the third  option a few times

And after when your in the safe you get a bit of a "evaluation" window containing info on destruction done in dollars and casualties

I killed about 900 pedesrians by simply carging them while holding a car!

Call me easily entertained but i didnt really find anything boring with the game yet. Controls are fairly easy,  movement is pretty easy to controll aswell.

I guess its yet to see if the game gets boring in the long run. I would be dissapointed if it ends up as repetetive as Assasins Creed.

But hell, pedestrian steamrolling will prob entertain me for a few days atleast. More then most games!

Ill come back after ive played it a bit more
All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass.

Because, all grass withers, and the flower falls away

June 14, 2009, 03:41:31 am
Reply #9

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 03:41:31 am »
yes you are easily impressed if you call these graphics great lotinja :)
that bieng sad it is a amazingly fun game to play just using the blade power and rampaging through the city is alot of fun to do or sky jacking heli's with your whipfist and hookshotting the heli's is alot fun
i've been trying to go from 1 chopper to the next with hookshotting them but its not easy 7 is my record so far i believe

June 14, 2009, 09:34:06 am
Reply #10

Offline Shalala

• Former Member

• RAVE RAVE RAVE RAVE RAVE RAVE RAVE RAVE RAVE RAVE

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 09:34:06 am »
fuck this, give god of war 3 :)

June 14, 2009, 11:22:43 am
Reply #11

Offline Douchebag

• Former Member

• Saerin - Dwarf Warlock

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 11:22:43 am »
fuck this, give god of war 3 :)

I'd have to spend lots of money for a Shit black man 3 for that.

June 14, 2009, 02:58:58 pm
Reply #12

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 02:58:58 pm »
Kawe was up until 7am playing it, so I guess it gets his vote...
Now I run a tech website.

June 14, 2009, 03:10:21 pm
Reply #13

Offline Douchebag

• Former Member

• Saerin - Dwarf Warlock

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 03:10:21 pm »
Kawe was up until 7am playing it, so I guess it gets his vote...

Any idea what he got it on?

June 14, 2009, 07:52:17 pm
Reply #14

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 07:52:17 pm »
PC version through steam, using a 360 remote to play.

Absurdly fun game. Extremely over the top; I was almost in disbelief that within a few minutes of playing, I was elbow dropping a tank from the top of a scyscraper I had moments before sprinted up, and knocking a helicopter out of the sky with a flying kick.

The controls are quite a lot of fun as well; everything is fairly fluid and you can build up some incredible speed moving about. While playing I was thinking in the back of my mind, "it's bound to get old soon", to my surprise it simply didn't.

It's definitely far from flawless, though. Some of the side-quest content reminds me a little of Assassin's Creed in the way it's pretty repetitive i.e. destroy this building equates every time to arriving in the area, jumping in a tank then pointing it at the building in question and holding down fire until it's done.

There also exist little time-attack challenges which given the joy it is to rush around the place are actually pretty fun. Getting gold on some of them is also pretty challenging (apparently there are also platinum scores to beat, but you have to unlock them in some way or other). Joining those side missions are other ones that ask you slaughter as many as you can of a certain enemy within a time limit using a specific ability set. Of course, it then spawns a whole bunch in the vicinity for you to get to grips with. Those are surprisingly hard. There are also 'consume' events, which require you to do a little quick infiltration as well as the fairly obvious consumption of specific individual/s. Finally the easiest of those side-challenges by far are the ones that ask you to leap off of something high and glide until you land in the target area (just imagine those glide-suit guys, except they're trying to land in a small target).

As far as the story goes (I haven't completed it yet), admittedly it's not very strong. The whole idea of it isn't bad by any means, and it's perfectly fine for purpose, but the main weakness lies in trying to give a shit about your character. He talks about getting revenge and so on for people making him into what he is, but you're constantly murdering, consuming, or otherwise slaughtering citizens. With the consuming thing, you're killing someone (who even exclaims stuff like, "you're hurting me, please stop!" when you lift them by their throat) so you can refill some of your health. So, less 'anti-hero' more 'super-bastard'.

Basically, your character is a total asshole, and has little to no redeeming feature other than the superfun awesomepowers you get to mess with. This was probably the thing that most hindered my enjoyment of the game for the first half hour (after the initial chaos which, you'll find out if you play, gives you no time for such trivial questions). Once you can put aside that you're being a monumental twat with your actions can you start properly enjoying it.

Though don't let the bitter note at the end put you off playing. It is absolutely a very enjoyable game; it's just hard to not think about the incredible game that could (and probably will) come of them refining the formula for whatever sequel or other project that uses the foundations they've laid down with prototype.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:57:19 pm by Kawe »

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:54:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

342 Guests, 3 Users
Oni, Pratiarch, Rash