Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Warhammer Online

February 18, 2008, 05:50:44 pm
Read 11634 times

Offline Myogoblin

• Guild Member

• LOLEXECUTE!

Warhammer Online
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »
Was just reading the following and the collision detection looks fun. How soon till you see a warhammer "300" video?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Online#Career_Chart

Although I'm sure those that move to it will suffer the same issues WoW had with balance and all sorts of scary bugs. I remember the good ol' days when falling though the ground was "normal" and "server reboot in 5 mins" was common place.

February 18, 2008, 06:06:46 pm
Reply #1

Offline Cwave

• Guild Member

Re: Warhammer Online
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:06:46 pm »
I hope that this games fails so hard. And the small time i played beta on a friend's laptop it did fail.
Static bland copy of WoW which tries to put more effort towards pvp and then during beta realised you cant have 400 people zerging eachother, just like wow found out. So same crap, different name and they even added instanced BG's linked to other servers who do not even fight for the same homeland.
zzzzzzzz

Mainly hoping it fails since it holds all the emo-quitters over time who blame blizzard for their RL issues.  ;D

Love
G(err C)

February 18, 2008, 07:48:09 pm
Reply #2

Inphy

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:48:09 pm »
I also played the BETA (latest one). And it fails teribly imo.

First thing i noticed was that you only have a small variaty of hairstyles and facial features to choose from.

Then when you enter the really dark, and depresive world, you start by lagging all over the place, you try to find your video options and see that you can only change your resolution. (And my PC aint the worst, I can handle WoW with 60 fps in shatt with gfx on high).

Then the interface, it's almost identical as the one from WoW.

The leveling is SLOW. And you can't really die, that's what i experienced. You can pull about 5 /6 mobs of the same level, and still survive with 90% hp.

All in all, this is what I experienced of the game.

2/10.

February 19, 2008, 02:43:16 am
Reply #3

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 02:43:16 am »
I hope that this games fails so hard.
I didn't read what you posted past that, as I wanted to string you up for hoping any game fails that isn't fifa 10,387,238.

Then when you enter the really dark, and depresive world, you start by lagging all over the place

It's Warhammer. It's not supposed to be neon pink super-happy-lovely-friends.

Also, did you not play WoW at release? Indeed, much of the time there was not a huge amount of lag - as you couldn't log in. Servers had utterly horrific stability for a long time. And there were months on end where realms just had wanton lag. MC was an experience of purest lag for me half the time, timing out and disconnecting ad infinitum.

What I'm trying to say is it annoys me when people just look at present day WoW, a game that's been running for 3 years now and with the massive mainstream accessibility of it has brought massive money and with that over a long long time, good servers and such. Everyone also forgets the utterly horrid class and balance issues that existed throughout a long portion of WoW's time. Some still (and will continue to) exist. Druid-Warrior 41% representation in top 100 2v2 teams anyone?

It's a very difficult market for other developers to enter because of the runaway success of WoW. WoW has established itself so well and now has all the funds and experience that have come with that. The unfortunate side-effect to this is that whenever another developer releases an MMO effort of their own, instantly people compare it to present-day WoW, rather than release day WoW. Which isn't to say that it's not a valid comparison to make, but rather that it's next to impossible for anyone - that is, anyone but Blizzard - to release a new MMO that can vaguely compare to current WoW in terms of game balance and server stability etc. The result? Nobody gives new MMOs their time, and more importantly, their money. Without the funds, they can only fall further behind Blizzard as Blizzard continues to rake in more and more cash per month to pour into their projects, while new mmo developer xyz slowly pours their comparatively meagre resources into their fledgeling prodcut. Blizzard at the same time is in a position to watch what they are doing and if they see something that's looking pretty interesting, they can afford to have their team of devs come up with something similar and probably better.

I suppose what you could read from this is that by purely being there and by virtue of Blizzard (by no fault of it's own) being a company that isn't going to just drop their mmo to be, 'good sports' towards another developer, WoW is killing other MMOs before they have even started.

Went off on a tangent.

As things stand, it's extremely unlikely I'd leave WoW for another MMO, for many of the reasons I've listed above. It's just so improbable that another developer would come out with something as polished as WoW is now.

tl;dr - WoW is killing off other MMOs before they even exist, and don't hope for a game to fail. With games like these, huge amounts of blood, sweat and tears go into something that is for consumer gratification (and our wallets ofc, but there are much easier ways to take people's money from them than games developing).

February 19, 2008, 09:04:39 am
Reply #4

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:04:39 am »
Also, did you not play WoW at release? Indeed, much of the time there was not a huge amount of lag - as you couldn't log in. Servers had utterly horrific stability for a long time. And there were months on end where realms just had wanton lag. MC was an experience of purest lag for me half the time, timing out and disconnecting ad infinitum.

Oh god not this argument again. Dunno which server you played on, but my WoW experience has been top notch from day 3 since US release. Day 1 and 2 were unplayable when they noticed "zomg our servers are zerged" and set up more of those.

Anyway, regarding Warhammer: What makes me very sceptical of this game is the kind of videos they publish:

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/video/
or
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1026.html

Apparently it's 95% those two developers making fools of themselves in front of the camera. Not sure what their public relations think the target audience is, to me it seems like 12 year olds retards. It's hard not to feel insulted watching those vids.

Also notice the lack of actual gameplay videos they provide. One of the few I found was this:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28938.html
And it just shows some lame outdated looking empty level. And they call that "Video of the month"  ::)

Well, maybe they just have extremely shitty PR (but it's EA...?). But if they want to incite me to their game, they better have some beef to show. And so far they fail so hard to do that.

February 26, 2008, 04:51:21 pm
Reply #5

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:51:21 pm »
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29568.html

THIS SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE WoW AT ALL
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

February 26, 2008, 05:06:35 pm
Reply #6

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 05:06:35 pm »
Oh look, it's another blah-blah movie with 0% ingame footage of any kind. I'm all excited.

March 04, 2008, 02:20:46 pm
Reply #7

forker

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 02:20:46 pm »
Kawe I can see your arguement about this but you have to take a few things into consideration such as I'm not quitting wow to play an unfinished game.

MMORPG:s usually take a year or two after the release to actually get "on their feet" with things, depending on how many players that play it of course.

WoW to me is an exception. I played DAoC on the beta stage and I really hated it. I got the retail a year or so after the release it was "okay" but not exciting. Something was missing.

I never played Everquest so I can't say anything about that game. I played EQ2 which had many good ideas (That blizzard later stole) such as buying items for Honor and such, that's from EQ2. Anyhow enough about that.

With a game as finished as wow is why swap to some half-finished piece of shit? Even when I played daoc at the stage I played it at and reached max level btw and did some group PvP it still was just "okay". Wow was amazing the first time I logged in I was just amazed by everything about the game. Much because of Warcraft 3 and I could recognize myself in this world, saw building types I've seen before and such. That was what mainly kept me going in the beginning. What does Warhammer have that would keep me going? Keep in mind that everything about this game will be worse then wow at the release such as quests, content, stability and such. Perhaps the graphics is better but I don't care much about graphics, after all I mainly played CS and Diablo 2 before WoW.

RvR = zzz. I don't even call that PvP.
16 classes? Well I'm still on my hunter since the EU release. I'm the one class kind of guy and I find levling a bit dull. I like the fact that classes in wow can do more then one thing rather then forcing me to level one more instead of changing specs.

If I ever get a hold of the beta of this game I'll try it but if I don't, I won't bother. Perhaps after a few years once the game is getting better I might consider to try it out but I doubt it. :)

Oh yeah I forgot to mention it will have the big fail stamp on the box AKA: EA.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:22:26 pm by forker »

March 04, 2008, 02:43:02 pm
Reply #8

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 02:43:02 pm »
Grats Brother, you totally failed to comprehend my post.

Reread, and you'll understand how your whole post was arguing against something that was never said nor implied. I actually fully agree with what you're saying regarding not stopping WoW for other games like this one, and infact was kind of the core point of what I was saying.

March 04, 2008, 03:17:13 pm
Reply #9

Offline Flaask

• Former Member

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 03:17:13 pm »
I tried AOC tech beta this sunday. Test only lasted 5 hours, but it definitely made me eager to try it more.

Anyone got in the general beta here?

March 04, 2008, 04:44:46 pm
Reply #10

Auran

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 04:44:46 pm »

Completely true.

My experience with EA games is that they always try to make games suitably nice for those with the strongest newest computers. I could only play C&C Generals two years after it's release, coz that's when i found my former comp outdated (on which wow worked fine enough). Oh sure, you can put resolution to lowest, but then gameplay is awesomely... sucky. C&C3 is same thing. The game is (besides boring - especially compared to C&C Generals- only nicely playable on quite new machines.

but well, im not an all-that hardcore gamer, i still play patience once in a while......
A.

March 04, 2008, 06:38:29 pm
Reply #11

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:38:29 pm »

Completely true.

My experience with EA games is that they always try to make games suitably nice for those with the strongest newest computers. I could only play C&C Generals two years after it's release, coz that's when i found my former comp outdated (on which wow worked fine enough). Oh sure, you can put resolution to lowest, but then gameplay is awesomely... sucky. C&C3 is same thing. The game is (besides boring - especially compared to C&C Generals- only nicely playable on quite new machines.

but well, im not an all-that hardcore gamer, i still play patience once in a while......
A.

PC hardware requirements of games are really not that related to the publisher to whom the developer is signed, aside from if it's an indie developer who generally won't have the choice to do anything but low-req games. Other than that, games are generally designed with target audiences and the graphical demands on your hardware will be planned out accordingly. It's just a general trend of newer PC gaming releases that they are often demanding of hardware.

I'd make a shot-in-the-dark guess that this could partly be due to a reaction to console graphical capability increasing so vastly relative to PCs compared to the previous generation. It would be understandable to think that FPS aside, the main advantage that PC gaming had over consoles was graphical superiority. If the PC isn't seen to have this advantage anymore, then there becomes a question of why game on a PC when it's usually a great deal simpler to just do so on a console. Consoles don't have the myriad problems that come bundled with the sheer variability of hardware that's present with PCs.

EA is generally not fantastically well regarded when it comes to the way they treat their employees, but then again I've had it pointed out to me in conversations that it's not unlikely that it's just the case that the EA situation is the most public one, comparatively at least.

If you look at EA's list of games, it's easy to see why the first thing some people (at least I know I do) think is the way the milk franchises. They milk them hard. Conversely though, it's worth noting EA was actually the publisher for Warcraft 2's playstation and saturn versions, and the superb We Love Katamari.

Botched my words a lot there, and got a bit lost on what I'd intended to say since I was chattering away in xchat and lost my train of thought, but mreh, whatever. I'll probably realise later after I've got flamed for something stupid I typed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:40:21 pm by kawe »

August 21, 2008, 01:02:46 pm
Reply #12

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 01:02:46 pm »
just to let you see how new and exicting WAR is gonna be

someone linked this on dunemaul.org
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

August 21, 2008, 01:04:31 pm
Reply #13

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 01:04:31 pm »
Well, when you have a game like WoW that is so incredibly popular... you either copy it, and refine a few points, or you create a game that takes a different slice of the market.

I guess it's pretty obvious they are making a WoW clone :P
Now I run a tech website.

August 23, 2008, 01:15:46 pm
Reply #14

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 01:15:46 pm »
Anybody here played that yet? According to my pal who got in this week:

- User interface = complete WoW clone (not a bad thing, Tabula Rasa should have done that instead of their own crap UI).

- Runs smoothly even on quite old machines.

- Art direction = absolute crap. Chaos looks okayish, but empire is ridiculous

- PvP areas all around the world, PvP awards XP, too. However, PvP and BGs are mindless zerg like the alliance AV bridge.

- Class balancing is absolute crap

- gameplay seems to lack control, not unusual to die within 0.5 seconds

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:50:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

273 Guests, 0 Users