Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Translation

January 25, 2008, 08:48:26 am
Reply #15

Auran

Re: Translation
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 08:48:26 am »
Fatalbone is correct i guess. Your graduation partner should take some lessons in basic engrish. :)

February 22, 2008, 09:38:46 am
Reply #16

Offline Warhoof

• Former Member

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 09:38:46 am »
Time for an update :D

Is there an English abbreviation for amongst others?

I am asking this because my teacher said I had to use a.o. but that's not an English abbreviation, right?
Tanking debate: stamina versus avoidance
Stamina --> You're a tank not some freakin balett dancer.

by Daimix

February 22, 2008, 11:24:17 am
Reply #17

Offline Myogoblin

• Guild Member

• LOLEXECUTE!

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 11:24:17 am »
personally your teacher sounds like a weirdo.

I hate it when people (especially teachers). Make pointless changes to perfectly good documents just because it doesn't read as they would have written it. News just in: you didn't fucking write it.

Anyway, I've never in my experience seen or used a.o (when you say "not english" perhaps you mean american? Otherwise it would be a totally different language) but I write more technical/contractual documentation which traditionally would have a "Definitions or Appendices" section outlining the precise meaning of terms used. Hell, people use etc alot i prefer to use the more traditional et cetra. In all honestly, I would avoid the use of abbreviations as much as possible yet try to avoid repeating yourself. Where you may say amongst others in one section use alternatively perhaps in other section depending on context.

I'm 30 next year and i'd even have to have asked somebody "What's he mean by A.O?"

February 22, 2008, 11:32:43 am
Reply #18

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 11:32:43 am »
I hate it when people (especially teachers). Make pointless changes to perfectly good documents just because it doesn't read as they would have written it. News just in: you didn't fucking write it.

Professors like that. I once filed in an essay/paper which got rejected. For the revision I just remodeled simple sentences into complex hard-to-understand sentences. The substance/information stayed exactly the same. The revision was approved with perfect rating. Idiotic, but unfortunately a true story. /facepalm

February 22, 2008, 12:19:27 pm
Reply #19

Offline Warhoof

• Former Member

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 12:19:27 pm »
personally your teacher sounds like a weirdo.

Anyway, I've never in my experience seen or used a.o (when you say "not english" perhaps you mean american? Otherwise it would be a totally different language) but I write more technical/contractual documentation which traditionally would have a "Definitions or Appendices" section outlining the precise meaning of terms used. Hell, people use etc alot i prefer to use the more traditional et cetra. In all honestly, I would avoid the use of abbreviations as much as possible yet try to avoid repeating yourself. Where you may say amongst others in one section use alternatively perhaps in other section depending on context.

I'm 30 next year and i'd even have to have asked somebody "What's he mean by A.O?"

Please note that my teacher and I both come from the Netherlands; neither of us is able to write perfectly good documents in English. I try to avoid abbreviations as much as possible for the same reasons as you stated. I rather write clear, simple and clean sentences then complex hard-to-understand sentences (thanks Goza).

In my opinion the quality of a text isn't improved by making it more complex, but by presenting the information in a way that's clear for the target group. I'd say the quality improves if people outside the target group can understand it as well. A lesson I learned when I educated students, as a part of a former traineeship.

I don’t understand what your last sentence means by the way.

by Daimix

February 22, 2008, 12:42:11 pm
Reply #20

Offline Myogoblin

• Guild Member

• LOLEXECUTE!

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 12:42:11 pm »
Means that me being old and english I'd have to ask what it meant. I'd just avoid abbreviations as you said unless they are specific to your subject matter and target audience. (for example, medical, engineering, technical, golf, whatever)

Cheers,

February 22, 2008, 12:42:31 pm
Reply #21

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 12:42:31 pm »
A.O. would only mean one thing in English... Anarchy Online.

No, really, 'etc' would be the closest English abbreviation.
Now I run a tech website.

February 22, 2008, 01:30:33 pm
Reply #22

Offline Warhoof

• Former Member

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 01:30:33 pm »
AO = Aion Online?

Looking forward to testing/playing that game.

by Daimix

February 22, 2008, 03:31:36 pm
Reply #23

Offline Daekesh

• Guild Member

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 03:31:36 pm »
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

February 22, 2008, 03:45:40 pm
Reply #24

Offline Myogoblin

• Guild Member

• LOLEXECUTE!

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 03:45:40 pm »

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:17:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

288 Guests, 0 Users