Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 L to buy a new camera

November 20, 2011, 04:59:24 pm
Read 6668 times

Offline mayx

• Guild Member

L to buy a new camera
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:59:24 pm »
Hello, as the topic says I am looking to understand which camera in the range between 200 - 300 $ is the best choice to buy. Anyone good with cameras? The camera will be ordered from the US. So there is the ones I have marked down:
1. Olympus SZ30 16 MP Digital Camera, Wide-Angle 24x Optical Zoom with Multi-Recording Capability and 3" LCD (Silver)
2. Olympus SZ-10 14 MP Digital Camera with 28mm Wide-Angle 18x Optical Zoom and 3" LCD (Silver)
3. Canon PowerShot SX230HS 12 MP Digital Camera with HS SYSTEM and DIGIC 4 Image Processor (Black)

Looking for an advice since I haven't been reading up on cameras since 2 years ago.

(edit) Needs to be carriable everywhere, low volume, make good pictures during day and night, as fast as possible.
I am open to a good suggestions in the range 200-300$ (USD)
(edit) I need to admit that cheaper cameras got maybe half the properties of super expensive ones, two times better is eight times cheaper, isn't this ridiculous?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:08:00 pm by Maix »
`A man with no skills can be taught, a man with no honor has nothing!` -Kung Fu: Caine
`The things we touch have no permanence. My master would say: there is nothing we can hold onto in this world. Only by letting go can we truly possess what is real.` -Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Li Mu Bai

November 20, 2011, 10:31:48 pm
Reply #1

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
Re: L to buy a new camera
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:31:48 pm »
In general, just spend as much money as you can. Up until $500-600, you basically get what you pay for.

Can't go too far wrong with a PowerShot.
Now I run a tech website.

November 20, 2011, 11:04:32 pm
Reply #2

Offline Evilblaze

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 11:04:32 pm »
I'd recommend Canon SX40 HS  but its way much higher than your price
how about Canon SX30IS ? its 339 on amazon and i think you can find
it cheaper in stores ...

anyway i'm total noob in cameras but my bro asked me to look those up
so i hope someone can come up with better choices

Evil

November 20, 2011, 11:21:24 pm
Reply #3

Offline Gaeios(Graxlos)

• Imperator

• Forum Admin and Guild Master

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 11:21:24 pm »
low volume and being good at night is a difficult combo, unless it has a powerful flash.
At night you want to be able to take in as much light as possible, making the lens rather big.

Bears like alts!

November 21, 2011, 03:24:23 pm
Reply #4

Offline mayx

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 03:24:23 pm »
Thanks for the piece of mind guys, going to think it over again, but generally I will try to spend as much as I can on it like Dell said.
`A man with no skills can be taught, a man with no honor has nothing!` -Kung Fu: Caine
`The things we touch have no permanence. My master would say: there is nothing we can hold onto in this world. Only by letting go can we truly possess what is real.` -Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Li Mu Bai

November 22, 2011, 04:08:28 am
Reply #5

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:08:28 am »
Cool.

re: night shooting -- if you really want to do this (as in, without a flash), you will need a camera with 'full manual exposure control'. I think most cameras have this, but some lower point-and-shoots might not.

In general, though, you're not going to get good night time (no-flash) shooting on a point-and-shoot. Just ain't gonna happen.
Now I run a tech website.

November 22, 2011, 08:46:18 am
Reply #6

Offline Gaeios(Graxlos)

• Imperator

• Forum Admin and Guild Master

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:46:18 am »
The cameras that has surprised me the most in recent times is the Sony Nex series.

My mother usually have small handy point and click cameras but she cant really figure out all the fancy settings so f.ex. she came home from a trip to china where all her pictures were taken in 640x480. She cant handle lots of controls, at the same time she was quite jealous of me and my sister that both use dslr cameras.

She bought a sony nex-5 (I think it was 5) its a point and click camera with a "slr style lens".
http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/nex-compact-camera-system.
From what I have seen so far it takes very good pictures in indoor/evening conditions with its auto settings and it records crystalsharp video compared to what i have seen before.
Id really like to trade my 5year old dslr camera for one of those.

TL;DR;
The sony nex series are really cool but they cost about 2-3 times as much as you mentioned.

Bears like alts!

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:05:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

175 Guests, 1 User
hemoroidtv