Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Fantasy Books

August 17, 2010, 05:57:55 pm
Read 15188 times

Offline Yathezai

• Former Member

Fantasy Books
« on: August 17, 2010, 05:57:55 pm »
Couldn't find any thread about books, so here goes.

Does anyone have some good books worth reading? I'm a huge fan of fantasy books, especially the ones with hundreds and hundreds (thousands!) of pages and it's even better if it's a series. So far I've read Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (duh), the Magician series by R. Feist, now reading Eragon and the followups. Also stuff like Harry Potter and Dune but that's not exactly what I'm looking for now. There's more but I sadly can't recall the other titles.  :'(

So pretty much any book in an imaginary world, with magic, swords and bows, a crazy quest and dragons are always welcome as well. If you read these sort of books I'm sure you know what I mean.  :) Having said that, in case you've read the WoW lore books, how were they? Maybe it's an idea to check those out, they seem alright.

August 17, 2010, 06:03:40 pm
Reply #1

Offline Nachmanun

• Guild Member

Re: Fantasy Books
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:03:40 pm »
SK?R DIG, SK?R DIG F?R FAN. SK?R DIG TILLS DU D?R.

August 17, 2010, 06:12:51 pm
Reply #2

Kilizion

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:12:51 pm »
Discworld.

August 17, 2010, 06:32:09 pm
Reply #3

Offline shankski

• Guild Member

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:32:09 pm »

August 17, 2010, 06:37:57 pm
Reply #4

Offline Daekesh

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 06:37:57 pm »
Look into the Malazan book of the fallen series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_book_of_the_fallen

I'm on the 4th book atm (it's basically 1 big story over about 15 books... does that count as long enough? :p)  Each book is ~ 1000 pages long.

I have an ebook of the first one, Gardens of the Moon, if u want to check it out.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:39:37 pm by TTaM »
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

August 17, 2010, 07:09:55 pm
Reply #5

Offline Grishnag

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:09:55 pm »
Discworld.
also eragon? i heard it was pretty bad

also go read twilight
oke i lol'ed irl when i thought about that
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:11:48 pm by Grishnag »
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

August 17, 2010, 07:10:11 pm
Reply #6

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:10:11 pm »
First three of the Magician series, for sure. David Eddings for easy reading (really, it doesn't get any easier).

There's a few seminal series, but I forget their names. I have a friend that would know, but he's not on MSN at the moment...

And another vote for Discworld, of course :)
Now I run a tech website.

August 17, 2010, 07:17:44 pm
Reply #7

Offline Hugman

• Officer

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:17:44 pm »
Two awesome ones:

The Discworld series, for light, intelligent humorous reading. Highly recommended.

And the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan. Approaching 12 massive (on average 800-1000+ pages a book) books of epic fantasy, ridiculous amounts of interesting-approaching-over-the-top plots within plots, and cool main characters (+ no dragons). The only downside used to be that the bugger took 3+ years to bring out each book, so you had to wait ages, to find out what happened next. You would feverishly re-read all the previous books, just before the new one came out, then read the new one, feel it was awesome; then get depressed as you now had 3 years or so, to wait for the next one. However, GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! Robert Jordan is now dead, so the publishing company has hired another decent writer to turn the manuscripts into the last two books, thus cutting back the time between each book, to one year. Hurrah.

August 17, 2010, 07:19:40 pm
Reply #8

Offline Hugman

• Officer

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 07:19:40 pm »
also eragon? i heard it was pretty bad

That looks terrible. Like fantasy written with the intention of appeasing fat, short attention span, American kids.

August 17, 2010, 07:35:07 pm
Reply #9

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 07:35:07 pm »
Fourth vote for discworld! It's just great.

August 17, 2010, 07:46:02 pm
Reply #10

Offline Grishnag

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 07:46:02 pm »
And the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan. Approaching 12 massive (on average 800-1000+ pages a book) books of epic fantasy, ridiculous amounts of interesting-approaching-over-the-top plots within plots, and cool main characters (+ no dragons). The only downside used to be that the bugger took 3+ years to bring out each book, so you had to wait ages, to find out what happened next. You would feverishly re-read all the previous books, just before the new one came out, then read the new one, feel it was awesome; then get depressed as you now had 3 years or so, to wait for the next one. However, GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! Robert Jordan is now dead, so the publishing company has hired another decent writer to turn the manuscripts into the last two books, thus cutting back the time between each book, to one year. Hurrah.
i for one could not stand the how boring the first book was (dont think i got passed page 300 or something) it felt like it had very little flow if you know what i mean

anyway im sure you read lord of the rings allready if you havent... well screw you go read it
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

August 17, 2010, 07:52:22 pm
Reply #11

Offline Hugman

• Officer

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 07:52:22 pm »
i for one could not stand the how boring the first book was (dont think i got passed page 300 or something) it felt like it had very little flow if you know what i mean

anyway im sure you read lord of the rings allready if you havent... well screw you go read it

Yeah, the first two books are kinda slow, as he was just starting out, and hadn't really gotten hold of the epic-ness of the story; but it really kicks off in book 3, that's where I always restart from.

August 17, 2010, 07:56:16 pm
Reply #12

Offline Narw

• Guild Member

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 07:56:16 pm »
I always found Neil Gaiman book's quite interesting. They are a strange mixture of modern time's and ancient mythology, also quite good from sociologic point of view. "Neverwhere" was propably one of best reading's of my life. I would gladly write more about em, but unfortunatly my english isn't on level that would allow me to write about those books without trivializing em too much.

August 17, 2010, 08:25:45 pm
Reply #13

Offline Yathezai

• Former Member

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:25:45 pm »
Look into the Malazan book of the fallen series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_book_of_the_fallen

I'm on the 4th book atm (it's basically 1 big story over about 15 books... does that count as long enough? :p)  Each book is ~ 1000 pages long.

I have an ebook of the first one, Gardens of the Moon, if u want to check it out.

That looks great, exactly what I'm looking for. How does the e-book thing work? Can you just send it to me? Because that would be fantastic.  :)

And I'll definitely check out Discworld if it's as good as everyone says it is. Looking into this and the other mentioned books right now.

Oh and Eragon, well...it's probably aimed for a readerbase between 12-18 years old. The story is quite good but not as complicated or "deep" as the books everyone here suggested. Typical "young, unknown, random boy slowly becomes a hero and has lots of adventures". I'm enjoying the read though, maybe I'm just easily satisfied. :P

August 17, 2010, 10:38:00 pm
Reply #14

Offline Sparrowhawk

• Guild Member

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 10:38:00 pm »
Right! Booky time!

The Black Tower - series by Stephen Kings. King's "red line" book. All his other books are in some way connected to this one. This book is not traditional fantasy book, but I'd say it still belongs to fantasy genre.
Story of these 7 books is about a revolver man and his journey to the Black tower which connects all the worlds together (in short lol). Storytelling in this one is abtolutely amazing and the world is well designed. I heartily recommend this to everyone with good imagination and will to read looong book series. This book is something you cannot miss.

a Song of Ice and Fire - by George R. R. Martin. an Epic Fantasy book series with medieval settings focusing on schemes of noblemen, war and politics. The characters are fukken amazing (yes I like this word). Theres a really wide cast of characters and everyone of them are so realistic its unreal! The story keeps you in it and will not let you go, every chapter is more interresting than the previous one and there is no space been wasted on boring stuff like traveling from place A to B (this seems to be a problem in many fantasy books -.-). Another fantasy novel I recommend for everyone, and definetely one of my all time favourites. BTW the story is not finished yet, theres atleast 1 or 2 more books coming.

For some light reading

Legend - by David Gemmell.  Even tho the name is abit corny, the book is very good! This is a epic story about desperate attempt to survive a city siege against impossible odds to protect your country and people. The book is fairly short and easy to read. This Epic and manly story with good storytelling and interresting characters will bring tear into your eye.

These are just few books that came to my mind. Poke for more recommendations, I know MENI

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:22:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

310 Guests, 0 Users