Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Guitar Hero 3/4 DLC - Metallica Album

September 12, 2008, 12:13:58 pm
Read 5908 times

Offline Devlin

• Guild Member

• Not a hobo

Guitar Hero 3/4 DLC - Metallica Album
« on: September 12, 2008, 12:13:58 pm »
Since I guess most people know how awesome Guitar Hero 3 is on its own, I figured there's no point in making a review about it.

Instead, I would like to make a review of the recently released full Metallica "Death Magnetic" Album on GH3 Downloadable Content. It features exclusive versions of "Suicide & Redemption", aswell as master tracks of all songs from their 2008 album.

This DLC is not to be mixed up with the coming Guitar Hero: Metallica expansion.

A good thing about this DLC, is that it will be forwards-compatible with Guitar Hero: World Tour, which is just around the corner. It feels like a very good investment, to be able to drum off to some awesome Metallica songs as soon as GH:WT hits the stands!

It costs 1440 Microsoft Points, which is equal to around $18. Seems well worth the money, comparing it to for example the Dragonforce pack which was only 3 songs for 500 MSP. This pack gives us 11 songs, including 2 exlusive ones, for only 1440MSP!

It's a rather huge download, 1.34gb, and I'm downloading it atm. Will return with more details!

List of songs - reviewed

1. That Was Just Your Life - 7:08
As the first track of their long-awaited return album, this one does not strike me as amazing. Atleast not yet. It's a fairly calm and quite repetitive song, though it has an intro that gets you going. I'm sure I will play this song alot, as it seems to have fairly high max-score potential. Other than that it was pretty mediocre. There were no real tough-spots in this song.

Score: 337,678
    Stars: 4
    Notes hit: 91%
    ---
    Devlin's rating: 4/10

2. The End of the Line - 7:52
This song is alot more catchy, and has a rather fun tune to play, which involves a bit of hammer-ons to spice it up. The solo in this song was unexpectedly hard, and this song is overall alot of fun to play. Definately a notch higher than the first song.

Score: 309,139
    ---
    Devlin's rating: 6/10

3. Broken, Beat & Scarred - 6:25
This is an anthem-like song, which will surely get the masses chanting the lyrics when performed live. It is a fairly hard-played song, with alot of fast-strums mixed with slow ones. This song has good speed which makes it more challenging to play. The song is in all parts a bit too short, which reduces it's fun-factor.

Score: 243,106
    Stars: 3
    ---
    Devlin's rating: 7/10

4. The Day That Never Comes - 7:56
If there was ever a song to compete with the Metallica's classic "One", this is it. It has a very lean melodic ballad first segment. But as the song progresses, you can feel the power building up. About half-way into the song, it turns into a beast. Nothing gets me going like the monstrous 3 minute guitar solo, which by far exceeds the equivalent in "One" in my opinion. Didn't think I'd manage it at first, but I got saved by star power at the last minute. Only thing this song is missing, is MORE of the good stuff!

Score: 340,396
    Notes hit: 88%
    ---
    Devlin's rating: 9/10

5. All Nightmare Long - 7:58
This song has an overall good tune to it, varied by some really long hack n' slash sessions. This is probably one of the better songs in this pack, in terms of re-playability. The solo is alot of fun, virtually only hammer-ons, and it's simply an awesome song! It is a bit too easy though, atleast for my taste.

Score: 491,641
    Notes hit: 94%
    ---
    Devlin's rating: 8/10

6. Cyanide - 6:39
Catchy song, no doubt, and it's pretty easy to follow where it's going. Make that way too easy. This does not really feel like a true Metallica song. It feels optimised for being a radio-tune, which isn't what Metallica-fans want. The song itself is pretty pale, although it has a fairly decent solo.

Score: 495,757
    Stars: 5
    Notes hit: 95%
    ---
    Devlin's rating: 5/10

Unforgiven III - 7:46
This is one of the most anticipated songs on the new album. The previous Unforgiven songs are amazing, and this one tries to follow them, while at the same time breaking some own ground. It is definately not a "good" Guitar Hero song, it's much more of an orchestral song, suited for listening to. It's a very good song imo, and when it speeds up it gets fairly interesting. However, as mentioned, it's just not Guitar Hero material.

Score: 305,064
    Notes hit: 97%
    ---

8. The Judas Kiss - 8:00
Heavy and fast riffs. That's what this song is about. It gives the player alot of "material" to use, and it never really gets boring. I'm not a total fan of the song itself, but on GH it is alot better.

Score: 382,071
    Notes hit: 93%
    ---

9. Suicide & Redemption J.H - 9:57
As mentioned in the beginning of this post, this DLC comes with 2 exlusive versions of this very song; this is the James Hetfield version.
It's the only complete instrumental song on the album, and while it's no "Orion" of "Call of Ktulu", it does have its good parts. Though there are way too many boring riffs thoughout this (unnecessarily) long song, which drops the song's quality alot. Sadly.

Score: 494,437
    ---

10. Suicide & Redemption K.H - 9:57
Kirk Hammett version.
I was hoping for a somewhat different song, from the James version. Sadly, the only real difference is a solo, which is about 1 minute long. For a song nearly 10 minutes long, it feels like an utter waste to have the two version so similar. Rather just have one of them, the album version. Pretty lame sales trick, that only backfires. You don't need/want to play this song if you've played the James version, or vice versa.

Score: 542,327
    ---

11. My Apocalypse - 5:01
The shortest song on the album, and I was hoping it was packing a powerful punch. It has a really strange rhythm, and it lacks a real solo. Quite boring to play, as it's very repetitive, and it's way too easy for a Metallica song. I stopped caring about the notes after a while since it was just so annoying/frustrating to play. Not in my taste at all, atleast not in GH. On it's own the song can be quite powerful though.

Score: 173,260
    Stars: 3
    Notes hit: 89%
    ---

--------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
This pack gives the player over one hour of fresh material.
There are some songs on this album that aren't that good. But they're being totally carried by the awesomeness that is "The Day That Never Comes" and "All Nightmare Long". Those two songs, on their own, would warrant a download. I'm sure I will appreciate the other songs depending on mood and such, but the first impression is what I've stated in this review. See the rest of the songs as bonus filling for the price!

Devlin's total rating: 7/10.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:22:11 pm by Devlin »

September 12, 2008, 02:47:07 pm
Reply #1

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
Re: Guitar Hero 3/4 DLC - Metallica Album
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:47:07 pm »
Jesus, they're all over 6 or 7 minutes!

I guess the solos must be amazing :)
Now I run a tech website.

September 12, 2008, 03:37:07 pm
Reply #2

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:37:07 pm »
I so need to get a blog system setup for WOTLK...

Hmm...

September 12, 2008, 03:38:14 pm
Reply #3

Offline Devlin

• Guild Member

• Not a hobo

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:38:14 pm »
WORK IT!

September 12, 2008, 03:58:57 pm
Reply #4

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 03:58:57 pm »
The front page actually has a blog system (which you see Marko used.)

The plan was for Daekesh to do some geeky blogs, and whoever else who also wanted to blog could also have an account.

Want one? :)

September 12, 2008, 04:09:51 pm
Reply #5

Offline Devlin

• Guild Member

• Not a hobo

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:09:51 pm »
sure! not quite sure what to put in there though

September 12, 2008, 05:32:36 pm
Reply #6

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 05:32:36 pm »
Me and Crazy just played through some... pretty cool in parts. Mostly tuneless crap, like all modern Metallica shit :)

Played The Day That Never Comes though, and that was nice indeed.

For some reason my hand is messed up today, so couldn't play any more... looking forward to trying the rest later tho.

September 14, 2008, 05:33:25 pm
Reply #7

crazylock

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 05:33:25 pm »
Mostly tuneless crap, like all modern Metallica shit

SON OF A!

September 14, 2008, 05:38:18 pm
Reply #8

Offline Daekesh

• Guild Member

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 05:38:18 pm »
Last 2 albums have really sucked cock, Crazy.  Admit it!
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

September 28, 2008, 04:12:42 am
Reply #9

Offline falfizzle

• Former Member

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 04:12:42 am »
their new album sucks

He's havin an elm street, nightmare that is!

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:41:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

335 Guests, 0 Users