Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Outer Space

June 21, 2011, 07:39:44 pm
Read 6017 times

Offline Shiftey

• Guild Member

• My Facebook page
Outer Space
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »
Outer Space is a turn-based python strategy game, it reminds a bit of the old Masters of Orion.

You start the game on a little planet with few ships and basic infrastructure. You start colonizing solar systems around you and start building an empire. You resaerch new technologies, design your own ships (and name them yourself too), so opponents never know what your ships have. The warfare is a battle of witts and who can outsmart who.

There are 3 main races, Humans, Cyborgs and Bionics. You all start as humans but through research as you advance to next technology levels you turn more into one or the other with their very unique and specific technologies and designs. I would recommend cyborgs for new players, they are brutally effective and not hard, humans are little harder but okay and bionics are very hard but once mastered they are increadibly strong.

Also, in the center of the galaxy (where lot of strategic resources are), there is a pirate, can be played by player or an AI. Pirate gains tech be ravaging other players and is very strong, best avoid it.

The goal of the game is to become the Emperor of the galaxy by winning elections few times in a row (held once a week) with 75% majority.

One turn is each hour (2 hours on weekends). So the game isnt that fast, in fact, it's sluggish at times, especially in the beginning phases.

Here are some screens:

And the tech tree(open in a tab to zoom in):

You need a small client for it, nothing massive.

So if you are interested in joining me right now go to:

http://www.ospace.net/wiki/index.php/Download

Download the client, register and join me in galaxy Beidos.

The galaxy run time is now on hold, it will be launched in probably 48 hours. Make a choice now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:41:55 pm by Shiftey »

June 21, 2011, 07:45:34 pm
Reply #1

Offline Ezzardo

• Former Member

• SATAN KR'A'VER OFFERBLOD

Re: Outer Space
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:45:34 pm »
все знают, обезьяну, но обезьяна не знает ни один из них

June 21, 2011, 08:06:01 pm
Reply #2

Offline Skymunken

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:06:01 pm »
Only if you are gay Ezzardo.

Reminds me of that Defcon game, will look into it.
[21:03] <Globox> how mad are you on a scale from 1 to Idra Skymunken?

June 21, 2011, 08:07:46 pm
Reply #3

Offline Shiftey

• Guild Member

• My Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:07:46 pm »
If people are interested in this, I can write a few steps guide on how to play. It's just few key things to be aware of and how the game works.

June 21, 2011, 08:08:32 pm
Reply #4

Offline Morbid

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:08:32 pm »
yes pls, besides no proper ingame chat option it seems :(

June 21, 2011, 08:12:03 pm
Reply #5

Offline Shiftey

• Guild Member

• My Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:12:03 pm »
There will be personal message option when you gain contact with the player  Morbid :) It's well thought out.

Also Morbid, if you hover over your system, you can see your coordinates. Center of galaxy is [100,100].

I am at [317,125] and Huntresa is at [307,136]. So we are very close to each other, in fact we see the same systems on the radar.

June 21, 2011, 08:21:18 pm
Reply #6

Offline Morbid

• Guild Member

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »
286,96, 128,69 Eteadec. Atleast in the system list it says that's my system.

June 21, 2011, 08:30:33 pm
Reply #7

Offline Shiftey

• Guild Member

• My Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:33 pm »
Okay, few steps to be aware of.

Planets have few stats.

Mineral Abundance
Energy Abundance
Environment

Those are 3 key stats. Mineral abundance is the most important one.

If mineral abundance is at 100, that means 100% and your factories will produce what their statistical data tells you they would (there are more production facilities later on with different dependencies) but basically mineral abundance and finding planets with the most minerals (range is from 0 to 200) is very important. On other planets you build support structures and research labs.

Energy abundance is how close to the star your planet is. It's important for solar power generation and hydroponics to produce food later on.

Environment important for farms and bionics (bionics rely on it for production).

When it comes to races, you pick it in research:

If you pick Human, the research to trigger that path is called Human Brain Development

If you pick Cyborg, the research to trigger that path is called Advanced Robotics

If you pick Bionic, the research to trigger that path is called DNA manipulation

Okay, now back to the game.

On your main planet, you start with building a factory to the empty slot and then you build a factory on the slot of the farm (3 farms too many). You do that by selecting new (in the building queue) select farm slot and select building you want to be build  in the menu, in the top right, you can also notice you can build on other planets.

If you want to build on another planet, it first has to be colonized by an outpost. You can either build it there from one of your planets or if you dont have a planet in the system, you send in a colony ship. Outposts produce energy, food and CP (construction points).

The diamond you see in your system is your fleet, if you click it you can split it and give ships assignments (find a good planet with high minerals to colonize, not far and send and DEPLOY your colony ship there) only your colony ship. You can also send your scouts elsewhere.

Note, your ships have fuel and operation ranges, so dont lose them adrift some place. always return to base to refuel (your star port can refuel only to 60% now).

As for research.

You can start researching outposts or factories or research labs to improve all of those. Or you can research small hull once and then research FTL engines to maximum cause that will increase speed and operational ranges of your ships, especially colony ships. That will speed up your colonization and more planets you have the better you'll do.

It seems Morbid isnt that terrible far, so that's good, we can take this whole top sector and if we establish some bases with comm centers I can move between them faster and cover you both.

I'll be going Human again, as always. They are harder to play mid-game, but they have very nifty techs later on.

Btw, the game is 1 turn per hour (1 turn per 2 hours on weekends and in case of like christmass week, it's 6 hours per turn :P)

You see the tab contruction (where you design your own ships) is greyed out, when you research all of the necessary techs, you will unclock it.

Also, food and energy is shared throughout your system. So if you can, build factories on high mineral planets and support structures on the low ones.

Any questions? :P

oh.. and, here's the tech tree:

http://www.ospace.net/wiki/images/f/fa/Techtree.png

June 21, 2011, 08:33:25 pm
Reply #8

Offline Morbid

• Guild Member

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:33:25 pm »
Will read up later. aka tomorrow @ work  :P
Talking about that, what if i can't always do my turn every hour, due for example work or getting piss drunk, or during my sleep hours.

June 21, 2011, 08:36:45 pm
Reply #9

Offline Shiftey

• Guild Member

• My Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 08:36:45 pm »
The turns are going by itself, you dont take them, cause for instance your colony ship can take a full day (1:00 turns = 24 turns) to arrive to a system. Your buildings take time to build, so you queue some ahead, or if you are building ships you queue ahead like 100 ships and build them for weeks to come :D

The game itself isnt that time consuming.

And if your planet isnt building anything, the CP is increasing the effectivity of construction elsewhere and giving you fleet support points. However if you arent building anything, than obviously, you are wasting your production.

June 21, 2011, 08:44:00 pm
Reply #10

Offline Shiftey

• Guild Member

• My Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 08:44:00 pm »
Oh, one more thing about ships. When you hover over your fleet or individual ships you split from fleet, red circle is max range with no return, green circle is the operational range. If you cross it a little bit and go back to refuel, you'll be fine, but dont play with fire.

June 21, 2011, 10:09:26 pm
Reply #11

Offline Shiftey

• Guild Member

• My Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 10:09:26 pm »
So me and Starbrow are right next to each other and Huntresa right next to him, so we have a nice triangle, Morbid is few parsecs away from us, but still quite close to cover the gap. Chippen however is due south from all of us and quite far. So we'll have to battle our way to him.

June 21, 2011, 10:19:59 pm
Reply #12

Offline Shiftey

• Guild Member

• My Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:59 pm »
Another thing to add, do not spam build outposts, only as many as are necessary to sustain shit. Cause more people there are on the planet, lower the morale of people which decreases bonuses you get to production and research.

Also, your empire has government power to rule certain population number which can increase by new government buildings and if your empire gets too large you build entertainment centers.

That's about it.

I know it all sounds probably very complicated but once you see all the connections it will become very easy.

June 23, 2011, 11:42:01 pm
Reply #13

Offline Shiftey

• Guild Member

• My Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:42:01 pm »
Here's a guide that should answer all your questions:

http://www.ospace.net/wiki/index.php/Help:Contents

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:48:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

333 Guests, 0 Users