Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Raider Application - Mage (DPS) - Athious

February 24, 2020, 11:56:49 am
Read 5953 times

Applicant

Raider Application - Mage (DPS) - Athious
« on: February 24, 2020, 11:56:49 am »
Hello, Iron Edge!

I am applying for the main raid.

Character: Athious
Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/eu/Kazzak/Athious
Class/Spec: Mage (DPS)
Member Type: Raider

Personal Info:

Hi, I'm Alex, I'm 24 and from Cambridgeshire, England. I'm a Software Engineer working as a technical consultant acting as an adviser for large scale cloud deployments of software (just got my Amazon web services Solution Architect qualification).

Class/Spec:

Frost, 467 ilvl. I just love the playstyle of the spec and have stuck with it for a while now. Despite Fire dominating this expac, I value my enjoyment playing this game more than an additional few spots atop the dps charts. I love the cleave capability of the spec, the aoe slows, level of control I can gain when pulling mobs for solo questing/farming, and some would argue most importantly - the blue, frosty transmog!
So far, I've not have any reason/demand to change spec, obviously joining a raiding guild may require such changes to spec/class, and that's something I can definitely live with down the line, just haven't had to think about it thus far ^^.

Playing around at the moment between the 33% crit cap build (that synchronizes with the shatter ability to grant 100% crit chance for my glacial spike), and a pure mastery build, that only utilises crit from direct item stats. I spend a LOT of gold experimenting with builds and am a culprit for switching talents back and forth depending on the current encounter (a great system I feel like not enough people abuse!)

Opening rotation for patchwerk fights would be (assuming all consumes have been used):
Cast font of azshara at 1 seconds of pull
Pre-pot 1 seconds
Frostbolt immediately after for fingers of frost proc chance
Cast essence (condensed life-force)
Cast Icy Veins
Rune of Power
*Frost bolt until glacial spike procs
use ice lance procs before casting glacial spike
Cast Glacial Spike
flurry instant cast
ice land for guaranteed crit
Rune of power
Repeat rotation from *
Begin using frozen orb in rotation once icy veins/TW has run out

Alts:

Have only played mage this expac. Have 3 level 110's that will level to 120 before Shadowlands so I have options. I mained a resto shaman in MoP and loved it, rolled a BM hunter as an alt in Legion and started wow as a Frost DK. Stay up to date with changes to these classes/specs so wouldn't have a problem jumping onto one of them down the line if required.

Professions:

Tailoring, naturally as a mage. two craft-able 470 pieces, and a great source of income. Made about 700k gold towards the start of Bfa from tidespray linen farming.

Raiding Experience:

Started wow at the end of Cata so just missed out on max level content while it was still fresh.  Played my resto shaman in MoP and joined my first raiding guild. Every expac following I have rolled dps. Raided casually until ToT where I try harded my progression and came incredibly close to curving, likewise in SoO. WoD was relatively casual also, with HC progression on all raids, only reaching curve on the concluding HFC. Legion was a real mix of achivements, some raids barely touched as I was at my busiest point of my university final year just as Emerald nightmare went live. I played catch up (raiding wise) for a while but still ended up securing curve for Emerald, Nighthold, Tomb and Burning throne. I gained a handful of Mythic kills in each raid along the way but never managed a cutting edge. Bfa - have secured my curve for each major raid release and I'm eager to progress Mythic now as I feel I've been capped at HC for far too long. I am ready to devote my raiding time to a team full of similar minded players with an minimally equal skill level.

Previous Guilds:

Tempest, MoP - unfortunately folded due to players stopping playing. We only had around 25 members, virtually all were raiders so naturally it fell apart and the remaining players looked elsewhere.

Have guild hopped since then in search of somewhere I can invest time and effort into but to gain more than just a raiding achivement. I want to make friends on the game, enjoy my time playing with them, get involved with fun events (legacy content runs etc), and feel like I'm a part of a WoW loving group, not just another disposable resource. I'm definitely not one for leaving randomly, please don't let that be the impression I set, but I'm sure you can appreciate the value of game time and spending it in the right environment with people who want to spend it with you. I'm driven to find this and constantly chase the guild family stories I hear from mates who played vanilla/bc.

Availability:

Available both raid nights and most nights during the week. No longer have to worry about exams, work has be finished by 6pm each evening and have no holidays planned until August time.

Communication:

I'm English so fluent naturally. Have Teamspeak, discord, mumble etc. I have a mic and absolute use it.

Computer / Connection:

Great connection. 100+ mbps with a stable ms of 25-30. virtually never drops, only when network maintenance is going on in the area.

Addons/UI:

recently switched to BigWigs from DBM (prefer the UI messages, sounds, configuration capability)
WeakAuaras of course, including a spec specific build and many custom wa's for trinkets, proc uptime, consume reminders etc
Details for damage/healing meters
ElvUI + Shadow & Light custom UI build
KUI nameplates with relevant info visible for trash/bosses

I'm filling this application in while I have some downtime at work so can't send a UI screenshot right now (really want to get this sent to you guys sooner than tonight!) I can join the discord/forum following this and send you a screenshot this evening when I'm home? Hope this is okay?

Other Games:

PUBG
Apex
CoD (when a new comes out)

All just with friends though to be social. Not much of a solo gamer outside of wow anymore.

Why Iron Edge?

From what I've read on wowprogress and more specifically on your website, you guys seem EXACTLY what I've been searching for. A friendly, warm, closenit group who obviously value your friendships and community above all else. Obviously the mythic progression is attractive and sitting at 3/12 is exactly where I would position myself knowledge wise (in terms of understanding tactics off the bat). The photo of you guys meeting in Vienna really sold it for me. A gaming community close enough to have an irl meet up is the sort of wow family I'm looking for.

What can I offer Iron Edge?

Not only everything you guys are expecting from a dedicated raider and member, but importantly a good addition to a friendly community! I love WoW, absolute love it - anyone I can play the game alongside and have a laugh with I would consider a friend (all be it an online one until the next meetup ^^).

Where did I hear about Iron Edge?

Wowprogress

Last Words?

Whilst I can't present you with an impressive past mythic resumé, I am a competent player with an aptitude for tactical games. I know my class, I know my spec and I know how to raid. Everyone has to start somewhere and when it comes to Mythic, you ultimately need to find a guild. I feel luck to have found you guys on wowprogress and really hopeful there's a spot for me, at least to trial!

February 25, 2020, 12:12:25 am
Reply #1

Offline mortos

• Guild Member

Re: Raider Application - Mage (DPS) - Athious
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:12:25 am »
You had my respect till you talked about Transmog  :P

I can relate to you want to enjoy your Spec, I stayed Fire throughout Legion even though it sucked DPS wise (though I will still say the Cheat Death, and Scorch Movement on Money time is better for Progression).
which is strange cause most of my wow Life I was a Frost Through and Through (playing since Vanilla)
but I think HFC's Trinket in WoD converted me to Fire and haven't looked back since

All in All Decent application,
I would nitpick your Opening (though I'm sure its a typo)
since obviously you Meant use Font 4-5 Sec before pull
otherwise your Pre Pot would not be a Pre Pot :)

I regret to inform you that this Guild is using Archaic useless Addon called DBM and the Officers force us to all use the same Addon (even though BigWigs is By far the superior one)

We could use another Mage
(we started the expansion with 6 Mages in HC Uldir
and we are Down to Bouncy and Myself
and I haven't seen Bouncy in a Month
and my Life is taking its toll on my Raiding Time)

Don't know if we have the Ranged Spots
but if we do I think we should consider

February 25, 2020, 09:15:07 am
Reply #2

Offline Athious

• Vendor Trash

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 09:15:07 am »
Thanks for getting back to me :)

I really like the feel of frost talents and appreciate the different build paths and how they genuinely change the playstyle of class. I just don't feel that as much with fire, but that's my imo.

It was indeed a typo, I use Font at 6 seconds before to give me enough time to pot and pre'cast frostbolt. That opening bit might change though as I've just got a new azerite trait that means icy veins gives you an insta fingers of frost proc, would save my having to frostbolt and means I could perhaps swap it with an early frozen orb for more lance procs. (this is me thinking out loud).

I wouldn't have a problem switching back to DBM, have used it since I started playing wow, but you are right in the rankings, BW feels cleaner.

https://ibb.co/vcpCmFx - Here's the pic of my UI, all be it not in a raid setting, but you get the gist. Boss raid frames would be on the right, raid frames on the left and a new wa I'm using that lists raidwide CD's, just above it.

February 25, 2020, 08:27:20 pm
Reply #3

Offline Athious

• Vendor Trash

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:27:20 pm »
Also forgot to mention my second proff!

Engineering - switched from herb to this purely for the 475 azerite goggles!

February 25, 2020, 11:09:31 pm
Reply #4

Offline Bouncy

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 11:09:31 pm »
Very nice and detailed app. Even though u don't have a lot of mythic experience I think u would fit well with us. Especially taking into account that both Mortos and me haven't been that active lately, so I guess it would be nice to have another mage in the roster, but it's up to officers to decide.

Good luck on your app!
Bouncy

February 26, 2020, 12:54:06 pm
Reply #5

Offline Athious

• Vendor Trash

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 12:54:06 pm »
Thanks Bouncy ;D

February 27, 2020, 10:58:37 am
Reply #6

Offline Mooneclipse

• Officer

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 10:58:37 am »
Hiyo Athious,
Sorry for the delayed response. Your application is quite a decent one, and I would Iike to see how you fare together with us in our raiding team. Just poke me or an officer in game for an invite  :D
"You smell so much nicer when you're awake"

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:13:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

82 Guests, 1 User
Naasty