Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Raider Application - Rogue (DPS) - Furrypotter (XR)

July 29, 2020, 09:54:37 pm
Read 2558 times

Applicant

Raider Application - Rogue (DPS) - Furrypotter (XR)
« on: July 29, 2020, 09:54:37 pm »
Hello, Iron Edge!

I am applying for the main raid.

Character: Furrypotter
Server: twisting-nether
Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/eu/twisting-nether/Furrypotter
Class/Spec: Rogue (DPS)
Member Type: Raider

Personal Info:

Federico, 24 (25 in October), current location Brussels, Belgium. I am from Palermo,  in the south of Italy, where I spent the first 17 years of my life. Then, I moved to Rome for 4 years for my Bachelor’s degree and first year of Master’s degree. I continued my studies in Brussels, where I am now. Despite that, I cannot speak or write in French.

I am a PhD candidate in Economics at the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB). My field of interest is International Trade: my research agenda focuses on the unequal effects of trade on the welfare of citizens and firms.

I apologize in advance for the quite long application.

Class/Spec:

As main spec I prefer to use Assassination, because I think that it is in a reasonable place as far as spec design goes and enjoyable to play. Furthermore, it provides good single-target dps and reasonable multi-target dps via multi-dotting. I acknowledge that it might not be the best spec around, especially for Mythic+ (more on that below) if you are trying to push for certain affixes/key levels, but given that I have mainly played Mythic+ keys through the LFG system I barely see pushing high keys or big pulls, scenarios in which Combat might shine over Assassination.

I play combat as off-spec but quite rarely since as I mentioned above, for the current content that I am playing, it is not a requirement/big improvement over Assassination. Furthermore, I am not a fan of the RNG-based Roll the Bones.

The item level is 470 equipped (471 including bags) for Assassination and 469 for Combat. As you can see from the Armory the gear is not well optimised as far as corruption, azerite and statistics go.  However, I did use raidbots.com to simulate multiple times the best gear according to what I have available.  As result, in the bags I have a combination that sims better as far as dps goes, especially a set of 450 shoulders and chest with the Double Dose trait. However, in the Mythic+ keys runs using LFG the lack of dps is almost never a problem (at least from my personal experience) while the extra Stamina from the higher ilvl gear might save your life from low-performing healers (which can be found in LFG from time to time).

The lack of optimization on corruption, azerite and statistics does not stem from a lack of knowledge or laziness by my side, but it is the consequence of a cost-benefit analysis based on the amount of time to optimize those things given that currently I am not pushing Mythic+ or Mythic raids (I hope it will change in the future as you can see from the application). Indeed those things would have helped in the application, but we also already know that they are going away with the pre-patch. This applies also to the back’s corruption resistance. Probably my point of view will be more clear once you reach the end of the application.

What I am going to write in this field will not answer your questions in the form. I justify this choice by saying that my application is for the Raider position as DPS, but I want to apply as filling class to your roster. Therefore, in case you accept the application, you can tell me which class/spec you would like me to use going into Shadowlands. Once you point me to a class/spec, I can guarantee you that I will do my research into that spec and practice with it to get familiar on keybindings/mechanics. After that I will be more than happy to answer your questions regarding the class/spec, rotation, mechanics, etc.

The reason for that is that I enjoy the game and want to progress further into pushing contents in game (Mythic raids and Mythic+), so I don’t mind playing any combination of class/spec to achieve that aim. Currently, I don’t have any established main given that I do not have any commitment to push Mythic+ or raids, and since I have been playing mainly alone so far (meaning through LFG) I freely switch between different characters. For example, above I did link my rogue’s armory and comment on its spec and gear, but I might have as well linked my mage (which has 470 ilvl equipped and 472 overall, higher corruption resistance, and higher neck ilvl). These two (Mage and Rogue) are the characters with the highest ilvl/neck/back progress. I have used the Mage for most of the expansion, the name is Starmorning and it is also on Twisting Nether.

Alts:

First of all, I have two WoW accounts, so I am going to start first with the account with more characters. Please, understand that, since I have played mainly alone so far, I  did also enjoy in levelling many class/race combinations. You can ask me for the names/armory links to each char, I am not going to provide them here since I am already writing a lot in other sections and I don’t want to bore you to death. Below I report the class of characters that are level 120.

Account 1:

Twisting Nether server (Horde): 1 Mage, 2 Rogue, 1 Hunter, 1 Priest, 1 Warrior, 1 Paladin, 1 Demon Hunter, 1 Warlock, 1 Druid, 1 Shaman, 1 Death Knight.

Kazzak server (Horde): 1 Warlock, 1 Mage. I did level them to prepare for this application.

Pozzo dell’Eternitá (Alliance): 1 Rogue, 1 Paladin, 1 Monk, 1 Warrior, 1 Priest

Account 2:

Twisting Nether server (Horde): 1 Warrior, 1 Mage, 1 Monk

Depending on your answer, I will transfer characters between servers. Moreover, I will probably race change what you choose as main to optimise it, or you can also tell me if you want a specific race. It might be possible that I will level the race/class that you choose from zero on Kazzak, but I will still transfer one character from Twisting Nether to move golds and consumables.

Professions:

On the Rogue mentioned above I have Alchemy because it performs well at the end of every expansion for consumables; I also like the longer flask buff for Mythic+ in LFG. I should have learned Engineering for the battle ress, not having it is clearly a mistake on my part. But again, as I was playing mainly alone, I started selling all my mats to have more golds in preparation of Shadowlands and progress in that expansion. The rogue has been created after 8.3, if you look at the mage mentioned in the “Class” section it has maxed Enchanting/Tailoring.

Obviously for any class/spec you might choose I will optimise the professions accordingly for progress (that will be more relevant once we know more about legendaries and consumables in Shadowlands).

Raiding Experience:

We have to go way back here. I started playing the game when I was 9, back in 2005. At that time I was raiding in a guild (despite my age) and cleared Molten Core, Zul’Gurub, AQ 20 and Onyxia. In this expansion I was playing Paladin as healer.

Burning Crusade: cleared Karazhan, Zul’Aman, Gruul’s Lair, Magtheridon’s Lair, 5/6 SSC and 3/4 The Eye (if my memory serves me right on that one). I played the first part of the expansion as Paladin healer, then switched to Mage Arcane/Frost since we needed more ranged dps.

Wrath of the Lich King: to make this short, we cleared all raids here. In ICC we cleared 10/12 HC in 10 and 25-man. In Ulduar I have done some of the encounters in Hard Mode, let me know if you want the list (more in 10-man than in 25-man). For this expansion I played DK DPS because we needed more melee DPS before merging with another guild. Failed the Undying in Naxxramas for a Paladin healer that died at the last boss on a black pool. Got the A Tribute to Insanity from the Trial of Crusader 10-man.

Cataclysm: Cleared all except Dragons Soul (I stopped playing before that because other friends quite the game). For the other raids, Throne of the Four Winds in normal, while in Blackwing Descent, The Bastion of Twilight and Firelands some of the bosses were killed in Heroic too. Played as Rogue here for the first part, while Shadow Priest in Firelands (switched to fill the roster).

Mists of Pandaria: Only Mogu’shan Vaults cleared, including some of the bosses in Heroic. Played as Priest Holy/Shadow for that. After that the guild disbanded, and most of my friends stopped playing, so I did the same.

Warlords of Draenor: Started playing again near the end of the expansion. Did not raid seriously there, this is when I started playing alone and primarily through LFG. By that I mean that I only cleared the raid in Normal (and killed few bosses in Heroic) via LFG. The reason is that I wanted to at least see the raid “properly”, even if it was only in Normal mode.

Legion: Same as WoD, cleared the raid in normal except Antorus.

Battle for Azeroth: Cleared Uldir and Ny’alotha in Normal.

Previous Guilds:

The guild in Vanilla had a core of Italian raiders and other English-speaking members from around the EU. We downsized for The Burning Crusade to an only Italian guild given that 40+ raiders were not required anymore. Back then we were playing on the server Azjol-Nerub. For WotLK we merged with another Italian only guild on a different small server called Steamwheedle Cartel. The guild pretty much died near the end of Cataclysm, some of the members started playing again at the beginning of MoP, but after a short period stopped playing and the guild died. In particular, I was part of the core group of the guild, but as I mentioned above they stopped playing and I followed them since I was left pretty much alone (and it was tough since most of those people dated back to Vanilla).

The guild that you currently see on the Armory profile linked above is my own guild filled with alts; I abuse it for the guild bank.

Availability:

The life of a PhD candidate is quite flexible. Indeed I have to work on my research, but this is something that I usually do in the morning until some point in the afternoon. It means that in time of progress (and at the start of the expansion) I can move around my workload on research (for example, progress as much as possible on research before the release of Shadowlands so that I can freely commit to levelling and gearing for the first raid of the expansion). Indeed I might have deadlines (for example, having to present in a seminar) but I can work on them before/after the raid, so that I am free from 19:00 to 24:00 pretty much always on raid days. In case I have to skip a raid (for example, the seminar in which I have to present is not in Brussels and I have to travel the day before, which might match with a raid-day) I will obviously notify you in advance. Also, having to present in seminars does not happen that often; you present your work outside of your University only when it is in a quite advanced state (and at best 2-3 times per academic year). I follow seminars held by foreign Professors at the University on Tuesday and Friday, but they take only 2 hours and they are during the day (around lunch time). For the next semester those seminars will take place online (due to the pandemic).

To the best of my knowledge I do not have to follow any class or take any exam in the next academic year. Also, I don’t have to work as Teaching Assistant for the next academic year. If any of those things should come up in the future I will let you know, but those are things that might take time away from research during the day, and not overlap with raids. Again, I can be flexible on my schedule to minimize the impact of those aspects on the time required to properly prepare my character for progress (gear, consumables, etc.).

Usually I live alone, but until the end of the year I will share the apartment with my brother since he is going to be in Brussels. That means that pretty much none is bothering me at home while I am playing (he also plays WoW from time to time).

Communication:

I am proficient in English and I usually speak in English at the University and in my everyday life (since I do not speak French). I have Teamspeak 3 and Discord. I use the Razer Nari Ultimate as headphones; they have a built-in microphone.

Computer / Connection:

I have built my desktop computer earlier this year with my brother’s help. To make this short, I have two 27' monitors, one 1440p with 144Hz, which I use to play games, and a 4k at 60Hz screen next to it. I use a Razer Cynosa Chroma (QWERTY, American layout) and a Razer DeathAdder Elite. The CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, as far as RAM goes 48GB DDR4-3600MHz. I am currently using a  Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 as GPU, but I plan to buy one of the new Nvidia GPU once they become available at the end of the year.

I play at around 70 FPS at 1440p with graphic settings at 10. Indeed in a raid environment I can lower the settings to sustain higher FPS. Currently I did cap them at 75 (despite the refresh rate of the monitor) to avoid pushing the GPU above 65-70 degrees. If I remove the FPS cap I can play at 100+ FPS with graphic settings at 10.

My ping on Kazzak is around 38 MS, the connection is quite stable and I do not disconnect often. In any case, I don’t often use my mobile phone data, so if the internet connections disconnects for more than a certain amount of seconds I can use the hotspot from the phone to log back in game.

I also have a MacBook Pro 16’ with the AMD Radeon Pro 5300M as GPU. I can use it to play WoW if, for some reason, I am away from my desktop PC for several days.

Addons/UI:

As you can see from the screenshot I use the BenikUI version of ElvUI. For raid alerts I rely on BigWigs. As damage meter Details (bottom right of the screenshot). Other relevant addons included in the UI for PvE are Exorsus (to keep tracks of cooldowns, notes, etc.), the Mythic Dungeon Tools (barely used in LFG pugs unfortunately), and Simulationcraft to export profile to Raidbots.

The UI also includes WeakAuras. The one that you see active now is from Luxthos’ profile on wago.io. Since I never had to push progress I did not design my own WA interface, but indeed that would change if the application is accepted.

The keybindings are all displayed in the screenshot. Again, depending on the class/spec combination that you might choose I will adjust the WA and keybindings accordingly to perform better and be comfortable in playing the class.

In the screenshot I kept some of the toggle anchors to give you an idea of where things will appear under certain conditions. The bars above 10 seconds in BigWigs appear right below the player frame. Then, they appear at the center-top of the screen when below 10 seconds. Above the target frame the aura bars for the dots will appear, they are capped at 5 to avoid overlapping with the modules above. Same for aura bars above the player frame, they are capped at 5. There is one hidden action bar on the right-side of the screen which is triggered by mouseover. It contains toys, the stone, etc. In combat the system panel in the top left corner disappears, same for the information bar at the top of the screen.

The action bar in stealth has the same abilities as the one out-of-stealth, for consistency.

Link to the UI below, let me know if it does not work so that I can send you a working one.

https://imgur.com/a/722Gt6K

Other Games:

I have played WoW classic recently, got a Mage to lv 60 there. However, I find the game too easy given that it uses TBC pre-patch, but the community is super nice; that is an aspect that makes it more appealing than playing the current retail alone (without a guild or community).

I used to play League of Legends while I was on break from WoW, reached Diamond II in solo/duo ranked back in season 5. However, I have not played it in quite a long time, except some games with a friend earlier this year (for sure I am not going to play that game solo, it is hell). I have Overwatch and other games but I have not played them in a long time. Currently I am playing a bit of The Witcher III when I am not levelling or doing dailies on characters in retail WoW.

Why Iron Edge?

I want to start playing the game to its full potential again, especially making serious progress on Mythic Raid encounters, while also occasionally pushing Mythic+ keys with other players from the guild (rather than going through the LFG experience). The latter is a second priority, especially going into Shadowlands with the Covenant system: I will optimize systems (including covenants) to fit the Mythic Raid progression.

While the previous lines might apply to application to a lot of guilds, the following do not, so they fit better as answer to your question. I know that you have a really nice community in your guild, and that you manage to pair this with high-end progress in Mythic Raids. That is an accomplishment that you and few others guilds managed to achieve and maintain for several years. On top of that, you do that with a 2 night raiding system that would fit well with my schedule. It is easy from your website to see that you have a nice community, and that already has a lot of value added for someone that played this game alone for so long.

What can I offer Iron Edge?

Experience wise as concerns progress on Mythic encounters? Unfortunately, nothing, but it is something that I cannot change for now unless I find a time machine.

However, I can offer a serious guy that wants to commit to progress in Mythic Raids, and a fun guy when there is the opportunity to be fun rather than serious. I never get mad (in general, in life) so that definitely will not happen during progress. I always loved this game, and the way it is designed now I know that I am losing out on a lot by not playing Mythic raid and pushing Mythic+. Furthermore, I am probably losing even more by not being part of a good community and contributing to it. Regarding the raid team, I offer you a player that is ok with filling the roster, even if it means swapping main from time to time.

Where did I hear about Iron Edge?

From one of your raider, that is also why I mentioned above that you have a nice community. His in-game name is Tyssar; we used to play together a long time ago. As I mentioned in the “Previous Guilds” section there was a merger between two Italians guilds, and he was one of the members that I got to know after the merger. Other than raiding together, back in the day, we also got the realm first (in that small server, Steamwheedle Cartel) of the red drake from the dungeons’ achievements in Heroic mode. Back then he was playing warrior tank while I was playing rogue.

Last Words?

Since I did write a lot in the previous sections I will not do that here. I just want to say that I am fully aware that I do not respect three out of five requirements mentioned in your application form. My decision to apply now is a bit strategic since the release of Shadowlands allows me to overcome two of those requirements: the character’s progress on professions, gear, etc. will reset. While I can do that for those requirements, I know that before the expansion I cannot satisfy the Cutting Edge part.

As mentioned in a previous part of the application I do not have any problem regarding paying for services such as race change, etc. if required for progress or other reasons.

P.S.: Cute dog in the application form!

July 30, 2020, 01:16:51 am
Reply #1

Offline Tyssar

• Guild Member

Re: Raider Application - Rogue (DPS) - Furrypotter (XR)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 01:16:51 am »
As you can imagine i am super happy to vouch for him. He pretty much said everything, we play together since Naxxramas in WTLK after our 2 italian guilds merged together to push further in that expansion. We played more together outside the raid especially during the launch of the Cataclysm expansion where we did the Glory of the dungeons hero  just a few days after the launch before anyone else in our pretty small server (it actually doesn't say anything especially because there isn't a real "realm first" achievement for that but it was a big accomplishment for us young players). Time have passed but it isn't really changed for us, we still play wow and we still love this game. I can assure that hes a really good player and a serious one, we learned whats the attitude we need to have during raid time and he, like me, is not an hothead who will rage for bullshits like loots or because he needs to stay out for a particoular boss. I personally pushed him to come play here because as i said many times already i really like the environment and i am sure that he will be happy and in good company here.

I hope you guys can give him an opportunity to become one of our raiding team and community.

PS: he forgot to mention that i was the best one in our 5 men group and his main problem is that he like way too much vulperas. Joking aside good luck on your application Fede.

July 30, 2020, 05:44:09 am
Reply #2

Offline mortos

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 05:44:09 am »
Well it seem like you coached him good about how to write an Application for Iron Edge!  ;D
(did the same when I wanted a friend to join, even though she didn't fit in the end)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:32:48 pm by mortos »

July 30, 2020, 08:43:46 am
Reply #3

Offline Tyssar

• Guild Member

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 08:43:46 am »
Ahahahah yeah Mortos, since he really wanted to join us i advised him to make a well written application! He said to me that since he is a PhD candidate he is used to write alot so thats why this long and detailed application  :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:45:45 am by Tyssar »

August 02, 2020, 07:36:56 pm
Reply #4

Offline Shimmar

• Officer

• Creepy Sam

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 07:36:56 pm »
Hey Federico,
Nice application. I already feel like we're life-long friends.
With that and Tyssar's vouch, we'll be happy to offer you a trial for Shadowlands - raiding in the Main Team.
You can poke an Officer for an invite.
Welcome!

August 02, 2020, 08:29:42 pm
Reply #5

Offline Fede

• Guild Member

• Nriver

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 08:29:42 pm »
Hi Shimmar,

Thanks for the reply, I am really happy to hear that. Who knows, maybe in a different timeline we are life-long friends!

I will contact one of the Officers for an invite later today. Regarding the class/spec, did you decide which one you want me to use to fill the roster?

Have a good evening and take care,  I will see you in-game!

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:51:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

90 Guests, 0 Users