Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Mafia game-play resources

June 21, 2011, 05:26:17 pm
Read 8460 times

Offline Palmar

Mafia game-play resources
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:26:17 pm »
This is a work in progress, I'll be adding stuff so everyone can enjoy playing mafia.

This is also a general thread for balance, setup and mechanics discussion.

I'll update this OP with links to important posts in this topic.

Opening Post
Mafiascum Wiki
Role List
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:18:33 pm by Palmar »
Trolls are awesome!

June 21, 2011, 05:29:38 pm
Reply #1

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
Re: Mafia game-play resources
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:29:38 pm »
re: player assignment -- I see the point of totally random assignment, but I think it's broken until we all have equivalent/adequate experience at playing the game. It would perhaps be OK if you had 'beginner' games and 'expert' games -- but we don't.

Would some kind of hidden rating system work? The game moderator could rate the people who want to play -- and then make sure that both sides get some good players?

Or does that completely ruin the meta game, if you know that both sides 'must' have good players? (And is that so bad?)
Now I run a tech website.

June 21, 2011, 05:31:42 pm
Reply #2

Offline Palmar

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 05:31:42 pm »
OP, everyone can use this as first post in their games, just hit "quote" and copy the content.

Welcome to <Insert Game Name Here>

1. Voting will be done in the main thread, this forces people to take a stance with their vote. Votes will be cast using the format ##Vote: playername. Any votes cast without this format may not be counted.

2. Inactivity will result in a modkill. Failing to vote, or failing to turn in your night action if you have one, will result in a modkill. If you get mod-killed, you will be banned from playing at least one future game of Iron Edge mafia. Sounds harsh, but inactivity really ruins the game. If something special comes up, PM the host(s) and we'll have a look.

3. The voting rules have changed. If no player reaches majority vote, the player with the most votes will get lynched. If two players have equal amount of votes, the player who got there first will be lynched.

4. Play to win. Any meta-game strategies or intentionally losing because you think your team is stupid is forbidden. Getting yourself modkilled for your advantage is banned. Play the game, win the game. Don't ruin the fun.

5. I will not send you a PM asking for your night action. It's your own responsibility to make sure you send the PM in time, if you don't, you get modkilled and banned for the next game.

6. All action PMs must be sent to all hosts. This means that if there are more than one host, you're always sending two messages, or a single message to two people (Just seperate them with a comma in the "To:" field).

7. Posting any screenshot, pm or converstation you may or may not have with a host of the game, faked or real, will result in an instant modkill. Play the game, not the mods.

8. Show respect. Some roles in this game have the ability to kill you out of the blue. Even if a mod doesn't confirm the death, consider yourself dead. In addition, attempting to use an ability like day-time vigilante kill, when you don't have one available, will get you modkilled.

9. Don't post after you're dead. Don't talk about the game after you're dead. Don't influence other players after you're dead. We intend to open a private forum where the dead can discuss the game in peace without ruining the experience for anyone else.

10. Don't be a dick.
Trolls are awesome!

June 21, 2011, 05:33:41 pm
Reply #3

Offline Palmar

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 05:33:41 pm »
re: player assignment -- I see the point of totally random assignment, but I think it's broken until we all have equivalent/adequate experience at playing the game. It would perhaps be OK if you had 'beginner' games and 'expert' games -- but we don't.

Would some kind of hidden rating system work? The game moderator could rate the people who want to play -- and then make sure that both sides get some good players?

Or does that completely ruin the meta game, if you know that both sides 'must' have good players? (And is that so bad?)

Well, at the moment we have nothing to base our assumptions on. Sure, when we are 10 games in, we can have a look at successful and unsuccessful players.

My point is, Shiftey played really bad in his first game, but was practically town MVP in the second one.

You played well in the first one, but not so well in the second one.

We don't have much to base it on yet, in my opinion.
Trolls are awesome!

June 21, 2011, 05:37:32 pm
Reply #4

Offline Palmar

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 05:37:32 pm »
Also, we might need to think of a way to solve the forum access thing.

Like, it's all good and dandy if Goza or I are hosting the games, but if someone else wants to step up, they won't have the moderator access to use for the mafia only and observer forums.

There are several options available, but none of them as cool as having the setup we have now.

Trolls are awesome!

June 21, 2011, 06:17:04 pm
Reply #5

Offline Palmar

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:17:04 pm »
List of standard mafia roles, and descriptions. This is a work in progress. If you want to use the roles and their descriptions for your mafia game, just hit quote and copy the role description

Vanilla Town

You are the heart of the town. Your only weapon is your voice and your vote. You do not have any actions during the night. But it is your responsibility to lead the charge and find the Mafiosi hiding amongst you. This is the most important, yet the most underestimated role of all.

Miller

Misunderstood by your own kind, you will not even know your own role. The Miller will think throughout the game that he is a normal townsman. But if he is checked by a cop he will be revealed as Mafiosi. The Miller's true colors will only be revealed on his death.

Cop:

The standard alignment checking Cop. Every night you investigate someone in the village. You will then learn if he is aligned with the Mafia, or the Village. Be careful, though, as the Mafia will murder you as soon as they know your identity, and don't get fooled by a clever Framer or a Miller. Third party roles report the same as Mafia to you.

Doctor:

The standard Doctor. Every night you pick one target to protect. Should any harm come to the person you select, you will be able to save him from one bullet. However, you are unable to save more than one bullet. Be careful about claiming your role, as the Mafia will surely want to kill you.

Vigilante:

Batman, once again to save the day. You will fight evil on your own terms. If the law and the council is unable to stop the rampaging Mafia, you will take matters in your own hands. Every night you will leave your house and murder one of your fellow townsmen. Be careful, you want to murder Mafiosi, and not your fellow Villagers.

Veteran:

Tough as a nail, the Mafia doesn't simply knock on your door and kill you. Your experience in combat will allow you to survive a night of shooting by the Mafia or anyone else who might want you dead. If they hit you again, though, you will die. If the town lynches you, you will die in first hit.

Godfather:

You are the head of the Mafia, and you're considerably smarter than the rest. You appear to be sided with town when you're checked by Cops or other alignment-checking roles. You are also responsible for sending in the Mafia night action each night.

Roleblocker:

Enchanting smile and a little bit of revealed flesh is all it takes to distract even the hardest of workers. Every night you can distract one person, making them unable to perform their role. Distracting a doctor trying to shield a Cop? Distracting a suspecting Tracker? Your role is vital to the success of the Mafia.

Mafia Goon:

The brutes of the Mafia. You have no special powers aside from killing at night, should you be instructed to do so. Your job is to cause havoc in the town council and help your own team survive the lynch-happy mob.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:19:22 pm by Palmar »
Trolls are awesome!

June 22, 2011, 09:59:34 am
Reply #6

Offline Goza

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 09:59:34 am »
re: player assignment -- I see the point of totally random assignment, but I think it's broken until we all have equivalent/adequate experience at playing the game.

In addition to what Palmar said: doing role distribution one should probably consider how active a player is. In retrospect, I am quite pleased with the mafia role distribution in our Mafia2 game. On town side, there were probably too many blue roles assigned to very active players; those active players becoming prime targets for the mafia. On the other hand, maybe it was those players' fault for not being more low-key. Or the greens fault for being TOO low-key, thus not drawing attention & distracting mafia?

June 22, 2011, 11:03:40 am
Reply #7

Offline Eetion

• Former Member

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:03:40 am »
I talked to Goza during day 4 or 5, about greens being very inactive, and i think we did get it pointed out quite well in the thread aswell.
I honestly think we could have shaved 2 days off had people been active on a regular basis, but in the end of this game we could nearly put anyone into a role of mafia in a way, which was very frustating, atleast for myself.

And as Palmar wrote in the 10 rules, that inactivity really ruins the game.. I don't know how to get it sorted but something slight must be done i think.

For the rule distribution, i actually think the roles where quite fine, it only came to this point because we had like 5 privates saying close to nothing this game :/
I think I was born to tank.
Eetion/Fred/ET

June 22, 2011, 11:46:58 am
Reply #8

Offline Palmar

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:46:58 am »
re: player assignment -- I see the point of totally random assignment, but I think it's broken until we all have equivalent/adequate experience at playing the game.

In addition to what Palmar said: doing role distribution one should probably consider how active a player is. In retrospect, I am quite pleased with the mafia role distribution in our Mafia2 game. On town side, there were probably too many blue roles assigned to very active players; those active players becoming prime targets for the mafia. On the other hand, maybe it was those players' fault for not being more low-key. Or the greens fault for being TOO low-key, thus not drawing attention & distracting mafia?

Here's the thing about town play.

You don't have to do textwall analysis to be good town, and you don't have to be right.

Just chime in, give your thoughts on the situation, back them up with something, and you're good.

Trolls are awesome!

June 22, 2011, 12:15:09 pm
Reply #9

Offline Starbrow

• Guild Member

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 12:15:09 pm »
Yeah, I have a feeling I was actually too active with the role that I had. I think I would've had a much larger chance of surviving for longer, had I not made the large posts that I did...

It might have bought Kawe a day or two more alive.
Feral, a class of its own.

Alamo - REMEMBERS- HEEL BARES DURID! BARE DURIDS IS STORNG FREND!

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:15:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

48 Guests, 0 Users