Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Funny Games U.S

July 12, 2008, 12:50:55 pm
Read 3307 times

Offline treachery

• Former Member

Funny Games U.S
« on: July 12, 2008, 12:50:55 pm »
The original Funny Games was made in Austria 1997. This is the US version made by the same director and released 2007.

The plot is fairly easy: A family is spending some quality time in their idyllic cabin when two guys drops by to borrow eggs.

Edited by Goza: ***** spoiler*****

The situation soon gets out of hand and the two guys tie the family up and make a bet with them: the family will be dead within twelve hours.

If you, like me, think you’re in for a classic horror movie, you’re wrong. The two guys are representing the audience; bored and looking for some funny violence. For example, when taking a break from the terror, they say stuff like “anyone wants something from the kitchen?”. There are alot of lines like this, suggesting that they are just like the audience; here to watch some blood and gore for no apparent reason except to be amused.

They also break alot of the conventional rules of movie making; when it looks like the family might escape, a remote control is used to rewind the tape and stop them from escaping. In a few scenes one of the guys looks directly into the camera and say stuff like “how do you think we should kill them?” Thus, definetely breaking the barrier between audience and actors.

The family has absolutely no chance. They are there to amuse us by dying for no reason. I felt kind of bad after watching it. The statement is pretty clear and almost like a kick in the face. I’m not against video violence at all but this one made me think about it from another perspective. I didn’t find the movie judgemental; i found it provocative.

It’s really hard to grade this movie. It was pretty dull at some points which im pretty sure is intentional; we’re bored just like the two guys in the movies. We rented this movie to see some Funny Games!

Anyway, I think it’s a very strong statement and that the movie is executed very, very good. It’s not entertaining though. Not at all.

8/10
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 12:51:41 pm by Goza »

July 12, 2008, 01:23:15 pm
Reply #1

Offline delling

• Homepage
Re: Funny Games U.S
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:23:15 pm »
Sounds interesting!

I'll try to grab it, just because you use your semi-colons so well.
Now I run a tech website.

July 13, 2008, 12:55:01 pm
Reply #2

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 12:55:01 pm »
Gasp!

I put a spoiler warning into your post. This movie works mostly when you don't know what happens in it.

I saw the US version last week, it's basically a 1:1 scene to scene remake of the original. I found the German version slightly better thou due to the actors.

July 14, 2008, 11:13:25 am
Reply #3

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:13:25 am »
ok wont argue but i dont think i spoiled the movie :]

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:07:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

45 Guests, 0 Users