Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Need new laptop

November 16, 2010, 12:21:25 pm
Read 4524 times

Offline Ahkailon

• Guild Member

Need new laptop
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »
As cataclysm and the end of my exam period is approaching I would like to start playing a bit more actively. However, my laptop is horribull! It overheats, doesn't have a dedicated gfx card and the screen has annoying lines across the bottom. I would therefore like to buy a new laptop that I can do a little WoW, and perhaps Red Alert 3 gaming on.

I don't want to go completely overboard when it comes to money (would like to use less than 1000 Euros).

I've been looking at the acer aspire timelineX 5820TG (Speccs: http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/notebooks/acer/aspire_timelinex_5820tg/358596/specs#info_bottom)

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this laptop, or if you had any better suggestions? Any input is appreciated! :)

November 16, 2010, 12:43:50 pm
Reply #1

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
Re: Need new laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:43:50 pm »
Nox is the man you want for up-to-date hardware stuffs.

Pretty much anything with the Intel i5 processor in it (+ a separate graphics card) should be more than enough :)
Now I run a tech website.

November 16, 2010, 12:48:43 pm
Reply #2

Offline Palmar

• Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:48:43 pm »
I personally went for the asus g73. It's expensive but you get a shitton for the price.

It's basically just how much you're willing to spend. you tend to get a lot of value with acer, probably more than with any other manufacturer. But they're also not known for great support and stability. But if you have access to good support in norway, then that won't be an issue.

The specs look allright for a gaming laptop, should be good for at least 2 years of high end gaming assuming requirements, processing power continues to rise steadily. You probably won't be running the latest games in ultra performance, but usually that's not what you need anyway.

here's a discussion thread, it's got 3dmark scores and other interesting criteria for your computer:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/493151-acer-aspire-timelinex-5820tg-review-discussion.html

if you want, you can compare it to the one I've got, the G73 is basically the high-end of gaming computers today, only some alienware boxes and custom built laptops are more powerful.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/458025-asus-g73-benchmark-thread.html
Trolls are awesome!

November 17, 2010, 02:23:23 pm
Reply #3

Offline Rash

• Imperator

• Main Raid Leader

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:23:23 pm »
I got a pretty sweet laptop
/flex

my point, gaming is always better on a big desktop computer IMO. my desktop PC is really old, and its not that much worse than my laptop
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:26:55 pm by Therash »
Rash - Holy Priest
Rashuwu - Mistweaver Monk
Porkkebab - Holy Paladin

November 17, 2010, 02:38:01 pm
Reply #4

Offline Ahkailon

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:38:01 pm »
my point, gaming is always better on a big desktop computer IMO. my desktop PC is really old, and its not that much worse than my laptop

Aye. But I need a new laptop anyway, and gaming on a laptop is way more practical when I go home for the holidays and game at friends' places.

November 17, 2010, 03:58:49 pm
Reply #5

Offline Ahkailon

• Guild Member

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 03:58:49 pm »
Been looking into the G73 one (yours is a bit out of my price range Therash :P ). Do you have the one with the Radeon 5870 or the one with the GeForce GTX 460M, Palmar? Seems to be quite the price difference between the two, unless the few price listings for the G73JH (Radeon) I've found  are completely wrong.

(G73JW (GeForce) is around 12000 NOK and the G73JH around 16)

November 17, 2010, 04:14:31 pm
Reply #6

Offline Rash

• Imperator

• Main Raid Leader

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 04:14:31 pm »
there is a slightly worse version of my laptop out for 900 euro's, the only notable difference is that it's an i5. I mean, who gives a shit about blu-ray anyway :P

edit: another thing the guy forgets to say is that it has "IceCool Palm Rest". keeps the palms nice and cool, really niec
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:27:43 pm by Therash »
Rash - Holy Priest
Rashuwu - Mistweaver Monk
Porkkebab - Holy Paladin

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:29:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

51 Guests, 0 Users