Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Magic: The Gathering

October 22, 2011, 10:43:24 pm
Read 13340 times

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

Magic: The Gathering
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:43:24 pm »
so a friend of mine(yes i have friends) has recently gotten into m:tg (as in the proper card game not a pc version of it) and i was wondering if anyone had any experience in it

basicly i allways kinda liked it but i never had anyone to play against it so i was wondering if anyone could give me a good tip for a starter deck

anyway i did play a pc game that came out recently and i liked anything realy with the white color in it (i have no idea what its actualy called so i keep calling by the color hope that doesnt offend any of you that ar die hard m:tg fans) but i pretty much sucked at it

TL;DR halp please
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

October 22, 2011, 11:04:28 pm
Reply #1

Offline kagir

• Guild Member

Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:04:28 pm »
wat

October 22, 2011, 11:20:44 pm
Reply #2

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 11:20:44 pm »
wat? wat?

i was wondering if people in IE allso played magic the gathering and if they could give some general tips or whatever
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox

October 23, 2011, 12:32:37 am
Reply #3

Offline kagemoth

• Former Member

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:32:37 am »
I used to play a lot of MTG back when i was younger. The thing about this game is , it cost a lot of money to get the high end ultra cards you need to make a godly deck.

So first question! Do you have a deck already and or does your friend have a fuck ton of cards that allows you to fiddle and make decks with?
Insanity doesn't run in my family. Rather, it strolls through, taking its time, getting to know everyone personally.

October 23, 2011, 02:04:12 am
Reply #4

Inphy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 02:04:12 am »
I've recently sold all my cards. But it's a very expensive hobby, and takes a lot of time and money.

It is quite fun though. You should check out some of the game stores around the country. Mostly stores with "Games Workshop" games have some sort of department for playing and trading the cards.

There's "Spelkwartier" here in Arnhem (steenstraat), where they have a basement for players of different kind of games that gather and play. Also organizing small tournaments and drafts.

October 23, 2011, 02:16:37 am
Reply #5

Offline Douchebag

• Former Member

• Saerin - Dwarf Warlock

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 02:16:37 am »
Question.

Do your friends think you are angry?

October 23, 2011, 02:39:18 am
Reply #6

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 02:39:18 am »
So first question! Do you have a deck already and or does your friend have a fuck ton of cards that allows you to fiddle and make decks with?
my friend has 2 starter decks... i think anyway
one bieng pure red and the other bieng a white/green hybrid i think
there are probably names for those decks but i have no idea

oh and im not thinking of making a deck that is like super awesome pro just something to do with my friend you see
There's "Spelkwartier" here in Arnhem (steenstraat), where they have a basement for players of different kind of games that gather and play. Also organizing small tournaments and drafts.
there is something like that where i live aswell... doubt they organize tournaments though

Question.

Do your friends think you are angry?
here is a better question

are you a furry? cause you sure sound like a parrot right about now

October 23, 2011, 04:16:42 am
Reply #7

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 04:16:42 am »
Magic! Finally, you moved on from Yugioh and Pokemon!

I still have lots of Magic cards in my cupboard at home :)

White = plains, btw (as in, the land that generates white mana).

Fun game. Don't get drawn into the whole collectable side of it, unless you have lots of time and money. Pre-made decks (or starting with a pre-made deck and working in your own stuff) is probably a better bet, if you just want to be a casual player.
Now I run a tech website.

October 23, 2011, 05:50:20 am
Reply #8

Offline kagemoth

• Former Member

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:50:20 am »
I spent soooo much money on my White Black deck , fkn Ravnica!  I dunno what series is out now though. Whatever.

Ok , grish. If it's just sumthing to play every now and then with a friend , what i reccomend is buying a starter deck. These decks will have the very basic fundamental things you need in magic. This would be your Lands (This is the "mana" you use to cast spells) Creatures and various other spells like Enchantments , Intants and perhaps sum Artifacts. There will also be 1(or 2 , i cant remember) rare cards in the deck.

They normally come in colour combinations so just pick a deck with colours you think you would like.

Blue is mostly about sorcery and fucking annoying shit like counterspells
Black is the death of things. This will generally be stuff like zombies and evil shit
Red is destructive. Its more about dealing direct damage to players/creatures through spells
white is healing and goodness , you will normally find a lot of "Gives you X amount of health" stuff in white.
Green is about power , a lot of the green cards i knew would give +x/+x to your creatures and overpower your enemys.

Back when i was playing , i made an evil black and white deck that removed my opponents cards and withered away the strength of his creatures while gaining me more and more health. Was sooo much fun.
Insanity doesn't run in my family. Rather, it strolls through, taking its time, getting to know everyone personally.

October 23, 2011, 07:37:58 am
Reply #9

Offline Yoica

• Officer

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 07:37:58 am »
I actually still have all my cards and will  play a game or 2 with my wife each year. It's still good fun, but I used to play mtg a lot back in the mid/late 90's. I stopped playing after soon after 5th edition since the 2 expansion after that ruined the game for me by adding abilities like shadow. Apartantly it has gotten better again, but I never got back to playing. Partly due to going off to uni.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:40:31 am by Yoica »

October 23, 2011, 07:39:33 am
Reply #10

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 07:39:33 am »
Magic! Finally, you moved on from Yugioh and Pokemon!
i never played those

October 23, 2011, 07:41:15 am
Reply #11

Offline Karga

• Guild Member

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 07:41:15 am »
http://www.elementsthegame.com/

reminds me this game.. well it's obvious elements is not the original one.
But i couldn't stop playing this game for 2-3 days.
君に魔法をかけて蛙にしてやろう。 (i'll bewitch you into a frog!)

October 23, 2011, 10:20:28 am
Reply #12

Offline Surim

• Guild Member

• The African

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 10:20:28 am »
I played magic: the gathering quite a bit a few years ago, and also played it more recently with friends before I moved back to East London. Loads of fun. I still have a red haste deck from 5th and 6th edition cards. It is still a competitive deck against the newer cards. Loads of fun
Sometimes, when I'm alone and can't sleep at night, I get naked, rub Vasoline all over my body and pretend I'm a slug in the kitchen. Ever tried it?

October 23, 2011, 02:42:01 pm
Reply #13

Offline Sidestep

• Guild Member

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 02:42:01 pm »
Used to go to tournaments with a group of friends, won a few but haven't played for years now, sold most of my cards for a few thousand ages ago. If I remembered how to play i'd give some advice :P

October 23, 2011, 02:56:53 pm
Reply #14

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 02:56:53 pm »
i am kinda suprised at how many of you played this game

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:24:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

37 Guests, 0 Users