Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Bioshock Infinite

March 27, 2013, 07:09:17 pm
Read 11564 times

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

Bioshock Infinite
« on: March 27, 2013, 07:09:17 pm »
Welp i have been playing this game for a little bit and the stuff i have seen so far is great.
Love the setting.
Story is good so far.
Looks pretty good too.
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

March 28, 2013, 09:09:09 am
Reply #1

Offline treachery

• Former Member

Re: Bioshock Infinite
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:09:09 am »
looking forward playing this game. i think bioshock is one of the best games of this generation and this one has gotten some great reviews.

will probably buy next week. time to remove the dust and plug inthe ps3 :)

March 28, 2013, 12:19:46 pm
Reply #2

Offline Hugman

• Officer

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:19:46 pm »
Just started last night.

Very impressed so far.

Raffle.

April 10, 2013, 10:37:42 am
Reply #3

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:37:42 am »
finished it last night and I just have to write something.

the atmosphere, story and characters are in the same class as those in great movies and litterature. something very unusual in games which tend to focus on strong gameplay.

the game also challenges the player in similar way as great movies and litterature. its not spectacular or hard gameplay. its not million of choices to be made. its not a sandbox but a linear experience. yet it challenges you to focus and explore to really understand the world, characters and story. its a great drama with many dimensions (he he)

April 22, 2013, 10:11:53 am
Reply #4

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:11:53 am »
Meh, I don't know. This game fails to get me involved. IMO they didn't manage to bring the world alive. And gameplay wise it's like playing some id software game from the 90s.

World fails:
  • I don't get the hype about Elizabeth. There's nothing special about her behaviour/AI.
  • There were just 2 locations that felt alive. The beginning of the game and the beach area. Otherwise, NPCs usually just play their scripted sequence, then stand like dead automatons forever. And vanish into nothing once the action starts. Very clinical, artificial.
  • Glitches like the permanent background "revolution noise" during the revolt. It even plays when there's absolutely noone around.
  • I don't like the way the story is told. It's like they are using a sledgehammer to pound it into your brain. Also don't regard the story very unique or interesting. Haven't seen the ending yet (I'm on the second to last act), so maybe they have a big reveal that saves it.

Gameplay fails:
  • Basically a corridor shooter with shitty AI: Turn to enemy and run to enemy, wow. Enemies only look stylish, behave boring.
  • Strange upgrade system, items are overpriced, not really giving many choices.
  • Bad pacing: Long stretches of exploration, then long stretches of nonstop combat (in the end, they just throw tedious tons of enemies at you).
  • Underused skyline system. So far there've been three set pieces where they actually make use of vertical gameplay.

April 22, 2013, 11:30:19 am
Reply #5

Offline Hugman

• Officer

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 11:30:19 am »
Meh, I don't know. This game fails to get me involved. IMO they didn't manage to bring the world alive. And gameplay wise it's like playing some id software game from the 90s.

World fails:
  • I don't get the hype about Elizabeth. There's nothing special about her behaviour/AI.
  • There were just 2 locations that felt alive. The beginning of the game and the beach area. Otherwise, NPCs usually just play their scripted sequence, then stand like dead automatons forever. And vanish into nothing once the action starts. Very clinical, artificial.
  • Glitches like the permanent background "revolution noise" during the revolt. It even plays when there's absolutely noone around.
  • I don't like the way the story is told. It's like they are using a sledgehammer to pound it into your brain. Also don't regard the story very unique or interesting. Haven't seen the ending yet (I'm on the second to last act), so maybe they have a big reveal that saves it.

Gameplay fails:
  • Basically a corridor shooter with shitty AI: Turn to enemy and run to enemy, wow. Enemies only look stylish, behave boring.
  • Strange upgrade system, items are overpriced, not really giving many choices.
  • Bad pacing: Long stretches of exploration, then long stretches of nonstop combat (in the end, they just throw tedious tons of enemies at you).
  • Underused skyline system. So far there've been three set pieces where they actually make use of vertical gameplay.

???

Does everything you eat, taste like ashes?

April 22, 2013, 11:54:12 am
Reply #6

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 11:54:12 am »
Just confused how old-school the game is. It's a 7/10 and not the 10/10 every review I read hyped it up to.

April 22, 2013, 09:42:18 pm
Reply #7

Offline Vorte

• Guild Member

• Ffffffffffff

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 09:42:18 pm »
Go finish it! I got absorbed by it, so I throughly enjoyed it, admittedly I get easily attached.
[22:27] <Globox> I cry when I clean my left ear with a q-tip

April 23, 2013, 08:51:01 am
Reply #8

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:51:01 am »
Finished it on 1999 mode the other night. Definetely old school :)

April 23, 2013, 10:10:17 am
Reply #9

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10:17 am »
Finished it last night. My opinion still stands, this game is overhyped.

yet it challenges you to focus and explore to really understand the world, characters and story.

I'd rather call that "the story is told in a shitty way". Also, having weird confusing stuff happening throuout the game, and then taking 5 mins during the end to explain why this happened, isn't really good storytelling (they mostly rely on audiotapes, and especially during the beginning those are mostly religious babbling focusing on the spiritual leader/false prophet thing).

For a game that wants to live on it's story and world/setting, there's simply too much nonsense going on, the world makes no sense:

• apparently citizens throw their money and ammunition in the trash
  • citizens like to buy their "lets murder folks with crows"-spells (for whatever reason those even exist) in omnipresent sales booths
  • srsly, the whole Banshee-thing? wtf
  • weirdo arena bossfights like the Fitch finale

April 23, 2013, 10:47:12 am
Reply #10

Offline Gaeios(Graxlos)

• Imperator

• Forum Admin and Guild Master

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 10:47:12 am »
Lol

Bears like alts!

April 23, 2013, 10:54:55 am
Reply #11

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 10:54:55 am »
I loved it. Its quite rare that I immediately restart a game after I finish it and play it all the way through again. I usually get bored the second time around even if i really enjoyed the first playthrough.

I actually enjoyed the second playthrough even more (though 1999 mode can be frustrating at times), just like I do with my favourite books/films.

Like I said, the gameplay isn't the best out there. Can be a bit tiresome somewhere in the middle. Buy I absolutely love the world, story and characters. I think Elisabeth/DeWitt/Comestock drama is great but I really like the other characters such as Slate, Fink  and the Lutece twins. Fitzroy and Lady Comstock are probably the least intresting.

April 23, 2013, 11:13:08 am
Reply #12

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:08 am »
The Lutece are done well, yes. I'd say they are the most interesting in the game and have some nice ideas like the coin throw and the rowing comments.

April 23, 2013, 12:38:24 pm
Reply #13

Offline Hugman

• Officer

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 12:38:24 pm »
Grumpy Old man Goza, is grumpy.

Seriously, one of your complaints is that you can find currency and ammo in trashcans?

This isn't your first video game right?  :P

Surprised you didn't list, "when enemies are killed they seem to drop 'Health Globes' which apparently repair the damage caused by bullet wounds, and heals 3rd degree burns. Just so unrealistic! Ghaw! Surely after the first firefight, our hero should spend at least 3 weeks in intensive care recoving!"

April 23, 2013, 12:51:10 pm
Reply #14

Offline Goza

• Guild Member

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 12:51:10 pm »
For a game that wants to live on it's story and world/setting, there's simply too much nonsense going on, the world makes no sense:

Actually, yes, if a felt 50% of my loot comes from trashcans and every other desk/cupboard has ammo in it (ok, it's set in America, so maybe thats normal?), it does make it hard for me take the setting serious.

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:51:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

34 Guests, 2 Users
Lethys, Wali