Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Cataclysm Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Counter Strike - 1.6! (fu source, FU)

January 15, 2009, 02:26:47 pm
Reply #15

Offline Palmar

• Guild Member

Re: Counter Strike - 1.6! (fu source, FU)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 02:26:47 pm »
I agree with Kagir. CS has a very high skill-cap.

I only played competitive CS briefly.

What makes CS the best shooter I've ever played is that it moves away from standard of running around and rail-gunning everyone with your 1337 aiming skills. To a much more strategic game where aiming is only a basic skill. I'm pretty sure everyone that plays l4d has the basic aiming skills required to function in a CS team.

Once you've got your basic aim down, CS becomes all about strategy and mind-games.

And CS appeals to people like me for the setups and finesse required in tactics. It's not hard to aim down a narrow hallway, at a stationary or slow target. If you can be seen, you're usually dead, no matter how bad someone elses aim is, he can still hit you. So you have to distract, outnumber and outplay the opposition.

I played competitive CS using a ball-mouse (instead of laser) for a while. It didn't really matter at all. I could still fire the straight line that had been designated for me.
Trolls are awesome!

January 15, 2009, 02:49:02 pm
Reply #16

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 02:49:02 pm »
That's a fair point about strategy actually... and the small time I did play in a CS clan, it was all about who was grenading, and when, and where... and other set pieces like that. I guess that's more fun than just 'CS as an FPS' :)

There must be better games for strategy though... BF2, COD...
Now I run a tech website.

January 15, 2009, 02:57:52 pm
Reply #17

Offline Grilldyret

• Officer

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 02:57:52 pm »
As far as my experience goes, the CoD-series are not strategy based on the same level as CS.. I played quite a bit of Battlefield: Vietnam back in the day, though, and with all the vehicles, weapons and paths, it demanded very much strategy work.. Guessing the same thing has been passed down to BF2, with the software that has pictures of all the maps in the game and lets you put dots, lines and advanced commands on the picture for your clan to see prior to a clan match..

January 15, 2009, 03:00:50 pm
Reply #18

Offline delling

• Guild Member

• Homepage
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 03:00:50 pm »
Well, what's the strategy element of CS? The planting of the bomb, yeah?
Now I run a tech website.

January 15, 2009, 03:58:00 pm
Reply #19

Offline kagemoth

• Former Member

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 03:58:00 pm »
massive strategy... if u ever watch the pro clannies , that shit is planned.
Insanity doesn't run in my family. Rather, it strolls through, taking its time, getting to know everyone personally.

January 15, 2009, 04:21:27 pm
Reply #20

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 04:21:27 pm »
you go left i go right? lets stick together? yes very much

edit: i played BF1942 and BF2 alot and while never in a clan i did find that most people mindlessly rushed to a flag to capture it and then losing all the other flags cause people cant coordinate for crap it would prolly be different in clans im sure

seriously though if you want strategy play a freaking RTS
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:25:00 pm by Grishnag »
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

January 15, 2009, 04:57:53 pm
Reply #21

Inphy

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 04:57:53 pm »
CS1.6 Is more strategy then most people think. Not just that, teamwork is a big factor aswell, you can't just roam around the map shooting people. It doesn't work like that.

January 15, 2009, 05:11:04 pm
Reply #22

Offline Grishnag

• Officer

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 05:11:04 pm »
shooting people before they shoot you does tend to help you know
"No matter where you go in life, Keep an eye out for Johnny the tackling Alzheimer patient" - Dr. Perry Cox
MAIM! KILL! BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

January 15, 2009, 05:54:58 pm
Reply #23

Offline Daekesh

• Guild Member

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 05:54:58 pm »
Well, what's the strategy element of CS? The planting of the bomb, yeah?

Assuming u aren't trolling here, that would be akin to saying, "What's the strat for l4d? Just incap all the survivors, yeah?"
Moo

Itkovian
Daekesh
Caladan
Hetan

January 15, 2009, 05:59:04 pm
Reply #24

Offline kagir

• Guild Member

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 05:59:04 pm »
you go left i go right? lets stick together? yes very much

edit: i played BF1942 and BF2 alot and while never in a clan i did find that most people mindlessly rushed to a flag to capture it and then losing all the other flags cause people cant coordinate for crap it would prolly be different in clans im sure

seriously though if you want strategy play a freaking RTS

Haha

January 19, 2009, 09:13:16 am
Reply #25

Offline Lotinja

• Former Member

• I are Tabdot

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 09:13:16 am »
shooting people before they shoot you does tend to help you know

haha <3
All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass.

Because, all grass withers, and the flower falls away

January 19, 2009, 09:17:56 am
Reply #26

Offline Lotinja

• Former Member

• I are Tabdot

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 09:17:56 am »
Ive never been too good at CS, probably because i've never really played it (fairly sure I can count the number of times on my hands)

But I have played with some very skillful players, and even if my aiming skills are fairly good I tend to get killed before i even see them. (The wall fact they talked about)

It's probably quite alot of strategy involved in it, and especially psychology, since they have to assume where the other teams going, and what they are doing (in quite the larger scale then people playing CoD or BF are, since those two It's about the match in a whole, unlike from CS were you count the Rounds)

Take for example,

When i was in Serbia, Gidra got challenged in CS by a guy from Nihilum in CS, Gidra apperantly hadent played in a few years

But then, somehow. They played Dust, the first one. And by mere sound, Gidra managed to know where the other guy was, and get a HS, with a SCOUT

through 2 walls....

And I can assure u there was no hax, since i was sitting behind him.

And about L4D, Im fairly sure its all about the screamfest!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:22:09 am by Lotinja »
All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass.

Because, all grass withers, and the flower falls away

January 19, 2009, 12:52:10 pm
Reply #27

Offline Smutten

• Guild Member

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 12:52:10 pm »
Ofc, when the round starts the terrorists make one plan, to take THIS bombspot or whatever, split up, come out at the same time and fuck everyone in their behinds while they try getting the ones comming out in front of them..

Counter Terrorists choose different spots for the game, and tend to keep them
for the entire game, might change for 1 or two rounds if they have f.ex sniper
(which would be balls for some spots)

Grish, shooting people in their massive heads before they blast yours open, ofc helps, but its not as easy as it looks..changing spots, breaking into the enemys minds, placing yourself where they wont expect you, listen carefully for sounds that might give their possitions up, giving you the chance to throw a HE (Heavy Exploziiiivez) nade in their face and taking down their HP through the wall(s).

I mosly play 5v5, so the quality of the players tend to be decent, if not really high.
I might be bragging, but i can go on a random server with 24 people on it, and get like
100 - 13 stats, no problem. (Ahk have watched me do this maaanny times)..

Random server = doesnt count, you can be lucky.
But killing all the players on the opponent team while playing a 5v5, is more
or less status, cause its hard beeing alone against 5'AKs and 5 nades making their way up your pants.

CS IS THE ONE AND ONLY TACC GAME, and as said previously, it takes time to get
good at this game..mucho timo!

If anyone have played for 4-5 years, and have done alot/some of these PCW's, i would
love to play with you one day..<3

Yeah, and btw - the aiming in this game is NOT like l4d (as i read on some posts)
Working out the sniper, watching your aim go mental if you spray and pray, and STILL
hit the head even tho it seems pointless to try, watching your ammo, changing guns quickly to get the best use of them (Gun and PIZTOLZ, and ofc - my fav.

Beeing able to NOSCOPE THEIR FACES!

I'll take on the best L4D player, anyday :)
What is this?
ITS THE SMUTT!

*Death Grip*

January 19, 2009, 12:56:14 pm
Reply #28

Offline Smutten

• Guild Member

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 12:56:14 pm »

THIS is what i mean..
look at how perfectly they time everything,
the aim goes gigantic cause hes shooting as hell with his AK, and still
he manages to get the last 3 bullets in the guy's FACE!

This movie was actually the first movie i watched when i started playing in..
2001 or something :p Brilliant movie!

Watch, learn, start playing - lets do some 5v5!!
Love <3
What is this?
ITS THE SMUTT!

*Death Grip*

January 19, 2009, 02:09:58 pm
Reply #29

Offline Kawe / Dave

• Guild Member

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 02:09:58 pm »
CS is really not about BREAKING INTO THEIR MINDZ OMG ::) You've basically put up a wall of text that could be said in:

Terrorists move around

CT move less

People listen for footsteps

Throw nades maybe. Nades do damage! Without line of sight HOLY SHIT!

OMG CS IS TEH TACTICALZ RLY GUSY.

Regarding taking time to get good at... yes, mainly because the spray is not entirely random and have set patterns of spray which can be memorised and then countered.

As for "I'll take on the best L4D player"...

Perhaps you do not understand the meaning of 'co-op' and 'team play' at all? I wonder if you would be a huge gimp to have on a team in L4D.

edit* Just watched that youtube link. You realise that the reason 99% of those incidences they show when they are winning is because they aimed faster, and more accurately. And nearly all of the encounters there are instances of the opposing players/teams encountering each other face on, both knowing they are there and just the people whose POV we are watching are faster & more accurate aims who I guarantee you know the spray patterns very well.

It is minimally tactical, and the maps are so well known to the players, and the plays, that it is absolutely not about looking for giving away position most of the time - those players will nearly always know where each other are just due to experience.

When it comes to the whole concept of players needing to think about positions and map play more, CoD4 destroys it - the maps have many many more positions and lines of sight, and the lack of accuracy off the hip also generally pushes people away from being able to do the run and gun more often seen in CS, where there is only firing off the hip (snipers excluded, but then with snipers in CS the sights are generally only used very very shortly before a kill and there's no 'hold breath' mechanic there to slow it down). The increased map complexity in CoD means there's a lot more scope for people to actually attempt to flank as well. Even more so if someone has went for the Dead Silence and/or radar jamming perks.

CS is hardly tactical, about as tactical as Rock Paper Scissors.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:38:31 pm by Kawe »

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:04:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

346 Guests, 0 Users