Iron Edge

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Apply to Iron Edge

Apply to the TOT Raid
Currently full
Apply to the Main Raid
Always open to exceptional players!
Apply for the Weekend Raid
Looking for DPS!
Apply for Wrath Classic or Social
All are welcome apply to join IE
 Films to see before you die.

December 09, 2007, 01:17:26 pm
Reply #15

Offline Guanoape

• Guild Member

• I R BATCRAPMONKEY!

Re: Films to see before you die.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 01:17:26 pm »
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Quite hard to tell something about this one without spoiling alot. Jim Carrey (Joel)and Kate Winslet (Clementine) undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories when their relationship turns sour, but during the procedure Joel's subconscious realizes that it doesn't want to let go of its memories of Clementine. The best way to describe the following is: "and so begins a strange labyrinth of fragmented memories, constantly changing surroundings, and mental materializations of Clementine. The movie is like a very bizarre dream, when you're trying to interact with people, but they're not responding, and you shout and try to get their attention but they don't seem to notice." You need to pay close attention to the movie all the time, because the story is all over the place, but it's really worth it in the end when everything adds up. This movie is bizarre and amazing at the same time  :D

December 09, 2007, 02:56:18 pm
Reply #16

Offline Comrade Nox

• Former Member

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 02:56:18 pm »

Western: The trinity trilogy(Bud Spencer and Terrance Hill) Speghetti western classics that have it all; funny bar fights, shootouts with hats flying off in mass and the typical italian humor. Plus, who cant help loving Bud Spencers legendary bonk on the head!

QFT. Such an awesome series. Damnit, I wanna watch them all now :(

December 09, 2007, 03:10:05 pm
Reply #17

Offline delling

• Homepage
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 03:10:05 pm »
@ Daek - I understand that, but I still need a reason to see Awesome Action Film #1 over Awesome Action Film #2.

'More chicks' doesn't really do it for me...

'Chicks in no clothing, bending over backwards, while a guy on a motorbike jumps over them' probably would.
Now I run a tech website.

December 09, 2007, 03:42:01 pm
Reply #18

legintown

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 03:42:01 pm »

QFT. Such an awesome series. Damnit, I wanna watch them all now :(

You can watch them all for free @ http://classiccinemaonline.blogspot.com

December 11, 2007, 12:41:52 am
Reply #19

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 12:41:52 am »

Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1972)
A spanish conquistador and his crew is travelling to south america to find the golden city, Eldorado, and to spread christianity. This is a slow but visually stunning and hypnotic movie about crazy delusions of power.

Alien (1979)
As opposed to most sci-fi movies that are set up in a mysterious, beautiful and exciting space, space in Alien is just another shitty work place with bad salaries and stupid assignments. The monster, Alien, is by far the best monster I've seen in a movie and has been copied countless of times but never been surpassed.

Annie Hall (1977)
A wonderful comedy about love and relationships. Extremely well written and executed. Very 
funny.

Badlands (1973)
Martin Sheen plays 25 year old James Dean look-a-like in the american south that falls in love with a teenager. Sheen kills her not so approving father and they run for Montana. What follows is a road movie with a lot of dead bodies. Easily the best “Bonnie and Clyde” movie ever made and Martin Sheen’s character is actually cooler than James Dean himself. Can be summarized in one word: style.

Barry Lyndon (1975)
The story of Mr Lyndons rise and fall is the best portrait I've seen of a persons life. Its fun, exciting, dark and sad. A three hour drama perfect for a rainy afternoon. Or a sunny day. Or anytime, actually.

In the Mood for Love (2000)
One of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. It is very erotically charged even though the characters in this movie barely touch each other. It is a tribute to love and in a sense an attack on the institution that sometime limits it (marriage).

Once Upon a Time in The West (1968)
Sergio Leone made the more famous dollar trilogy but in this film he even exceeded himself. If you want to see cool characters do cool stuff accompanied by cool music, cool cloths and cool settings, this is the shit. It’s not called an opera of death for no reason.

Suspiria (1977)
Perhaps not for everyone. The plot is simple; an american student goes to Europe to study ballet and ends up in an old boarding school where a lot of weird stuff is going on. The movie got pretty bad actors and dialogue but it is an audiovisual experience like nothing else. The music, photography and the scenography is just awesome and creates a great atmosphere for this horror movie. The murders in this movie is art!

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
This experience (rather than a movie) starts with the dawn of mankind; where a monkey becomes the first human. Without really spoiling the movie, it ends with the first man taking the next step in evolution, from man to...something? I don't know... It's a very philosophically interesting movie for those who want an intellectual challenge. It is also an audiovisual masterpiece.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:41:56 pm by treachery »

December 11, 2007, 02:14:18 am
Reply #20

Offline delling

• Homepage
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 02:14:18 am »
Thanks for the great list, Treach :)

I guess my suspicions are confirmed -- I have to keep going back year upon year to get to the best films.

I'm slowly working my way through the 80 and 70s now... but I'll get to the 50s eventually!

December 11, 2007, 03:44:54 am
Reply #21

Offline delling

• Homepage
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 03:44:54 am »
And, my first horror-genre film to make it to the Films To See Before You Die is... The Thing!

Basically, I've avoided old films for one main reason - I don't find the special effects/robotics particuarly believable. I've been so spoilt with films like LOTR or Jurassic Park, and when I see old films (especially sci-fi/horror) I just giggle.

Well, I didn't giggle much at The Thing :)

It's pretty damn scary. I guess I could've worked it out from Alien that they could make some pretty scary models, but... well... this is even more disgusting than Alien, by quite some way!

But it's not just a horror - it's psychological. Yes, there's a lot of flamethrowers involved, but most of the problems are solved using intelligent means, rather than just a big gore-fest.

If you like films where you don't know who to trust, and you like being lead up the garden path... this is a great film!

December 11, 2007, 09:15:30 am
Reply #22

Offline treachery

• Former Member

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:30 am »
The Thing is a great movie, one of my favourites. It's easily compared to Alien but I didn't choose it because someone had already mention it.

Watch The Thing! And if you like it, why not watch a few others of John Carpenters cool action movies: Attack on precinct 13 and The escape from New York. Not as good as the Thing but definately cool :).

Oh, Infernal Affairs, which The Departed is based on, is from Hong Kong not Japan :). Both movies are very good.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:25:18 am by treachery »

December 11, 2007, 09:57:18 pm
Reply #23

Offline Zakk

• Guild Member

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 09:57:18 pm »
Ping Pong

Japanese film about, ping pong :P. Now sports films may not be your thing but this film kicks ass the acting is absoloutly amazing and the character progression is very good too, there are some odd bits in it where you see them and think "wtf ???" then it all gets exlpained later on teh film but trust me this is an extremley good film.

Some proper reviews:

http://www.mediacircus.net/pingpong.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0328258/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2004/07/07/ping_pong_2004_review.shtml
url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][/url]

December 12, 2007, 01:40:13 am
Reply #24

Offline Smorisha

• Guild Member

• MASSIVE AGGRO PULLING!

• Iron Edge brag-page
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 01:40:13 am »
The Bridges of Madison County

Very meaningfull movie that leaves you breathless. Takes some years to understand it though since most of it will mean absolutely nothing to those who haven't experienced a one night stand worth of remembering. Clint Eastwood surprised me since I would never imagine a guy like him in movie like that. Blatantly awesome!
p.s. Book is even better!

The Truman Show

I think everyone of us was trying to find hidden cameras after watching it, a disturbing story written and directed to fit common mind, I am quite sure it would have been better with deeper personality actor though. Whenever I experience a sudden turnover in my life related to work, family or my emotional life I think about it...

The Manchurian Candidate

Doesn't take to be a scientist to realise something is wrong in modern days politics, this movie gets ur mind going when you think about decisions and political reactions made in last decade.

Zeitgeist

Stunning documentary about religion, warfare and banking system in modern history. Shocking facts about world wars, vietnam war and things that we see on news every day.

Thats it for now. You can expect more quite soon :)

December 25, 2007, 09:55:59 pm
Reply #25

Inphy

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 09:55:59 pm »
The Bourne Identity / Supremacy / Ultimatum.

I think this is the king trilogy of Chase-up/Cop Movies. The story is set up great, it's confusing and interesting. I really got caught by the whole 'i-dont-know-who-i-am, and-i-want-to-find-out'  thingy. Because after I watched the first part for 30 minutes, I really got curious aswell.

Con Air.

Just a good no-nonsense movie. Nicolas cage (great actor imo) plays this ex-convict caught in a jailplane that'll take him home since he's out. He gets caught up by some criminals that hijack the plane.  Well, I really enjoyed the variaty in the type of criminals. The one is more viscious then the other, and they all have their own identity and 'specialty'. Further then that it's just fun to watch.

Disturbia.

You should just watch this imo. It's a bit of a psycholagical thriller like thingy. The actors are good (the main person is the same one as in transformers, new guy, does a good job!). I just like the whole atmosphere of the movie, it doesn't take place in too much area's, which normally would've been a bit boring, but they did a good job making it rather exciting. AND OFCOURSE THERES THIS HOT GIRL IN IT!.

March 03, 2008, 02:46:28 pm
Reply #26

Offline Flaask

• Former Member

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 02:46:28 pm »
So here is my two recomendations;

#1 K-Pax - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272152/

The story is about the character called Prot, who claims he is from a planet called K-Pax. His claims puts him in a mental hospital. Prot`s doctor doesn`t belive him first, but as the film moves on Prot becomes very convincing..

Awsome acting, funny and a very interesting story makes this movie a MUST-SE.

If you like the unexplainable, and mysteries about the universe see this movie.

9/10 from me.

#2 V for Vendetta - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434409/

I didn`t know anything about this movie before I saw it, and this made it even more awsome.
Produced by the ones behind Matrix, tought its not anything like the Matrix.

V for Vendetta is based on a graphic novel based on the same name. Set in London, in a near-future dystopian society, the film follows the mysterious V, a freedom fighter seeking to effect sociopolitical change while at the same time pursuing his own violent personal vendetta.
I have never seen a movie full of so many symbols and references, but it works in V for Vendetta. The story is wonderful and Hugo Weaving is perfect as V.

A little quote:
"Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."

March 03, 2008, 02:50:29 pm
Reply #27

Offline Vorte

• Guild Member

• Ffffffffffff

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 02:50:29 pm »
A little quote:
"Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot;
I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot. ..."

Fixed. I adore this movie too btw.
[22:27] <Globox> I cry when I clean my left ear with a q-tip

March 03, 2008, 02:59:24 pm
Reply #28

Offline delling

• Homepage
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 02:59:24 pm »
A little quote:
"Remember, remember, the fifth of November,
The gunpowder, treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot."

Fixed.

More films to see before you die...!

March 03, 2008, 03:37:30 pm
Reply #29

Offline Myogoblin

• Guild Member

• LOLEXECUTE!

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 03:37:30 pm »
1) Back to the future
2) Back to the future II
3) Teen wolf.

I think that pretty much solves the debate for life.

Iron Edge Discord

Recent

Recent Logs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:58:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

74 Guests, 0 Users